• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do I Carry

amlevin

You could also say "there is another example of why in every days newspaper".

No matter what the City, it seems like every day there's a report of someone attacking or robbing someone with every sort of weapon possible. Most victims were unable to defend themselves. Apparently they "drank the Kool-Aid" that said that was the Cop's job.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Why carry?
An assault & batt on a citizen... three doors down just last week.
Last night some gentleman broke in to an armed females(my favorite kind) house in Whatcom county..............His condition was not released by the hospital, he was being treated for gunshot wounds.

MKEgal

dwordinger said:
The snappy bumper sticker answer is, "A cop is too heavy." The real answer is the cops don't consider it their job to protect anyone.
Welcome to the site! Hope you stick around & learn lots.
First lesson: it's not the job of police to protect anyone.
See Warren v. DC.
SCOTUS ruled (as have many lower courts across the country) that police have no duty to protect any person not in custody*, only a general duty to the public as a group.

Someone can call 911 multiple times, report a violent crime in progress, be harmed by that crime for hours (or even killed), and the police are not the least bit liable for their failure to respond or failure to stop the crime.

* (Not the exact wording but the general idea.)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
That same old lame statement, "it is not the police job to protect anyone", hmmm Then who is it that runs toward trouble when called upon? Oh wait a minute, the Police!
Some have felt that in some cases the Police did not do enough or not quick enough, I say let the nay sayers step up to the plate and take a swing!

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

MKEgal Dwordinger has been around for years, he is one of the anchors in Eastern Washington always at the gun show table, shows up to meets, OCs and actually exercises his 2nd Amendment rights.

The police have no duty to protect anyone person only a duty to protect society in general, see Castle Rock v. Gonzales, No. 04-278.

Dave I am not sure what you were trying to say "if it not the police job to protect anyone" some proper grammer would sure help.

Law enforcement mostly cleans up the mess and takes reports after the fact, this overblown Cops are all heros stuff is whats lame.

ApacheBunny

my joke would be, "live near the donut shop, say its being robbed, they'll always show up" but I don't like low blows towards cops. I carry because its my responsibility to protect myself or my family, I would hate to picture my kid at my funeral asking why I am not getting up, that being said killing an attacker wouldn't deprive me of any sleep.

Ajetpilot

I've caught flak for this before, but I'll use my firearm to protect myself and my family, but that's where I draw the line. I'm not jumping in the middle of people engaged in a skirmish. You'll recognize me by the way I'm retreating and looking for cover, and then calling 9-1-1, and using my powers of observation to be a good witness.

Okay, my heat shields are up. Commence flaming.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I've caught flak for this before, but I'll use my firearm to protect myself and my family, but that's where I draw the line. I'm not jumping in the middle of people engaged in a skirmish. You'll recognize me by the way I'm retreating and looking for cover, and then calling 9-1-1, and using my powers of observation to be a good witness.

Okay I will, I agree with you on this 100%.
I also carry for my protection and those with me and if that means moving them to a protected area then that is it.
This is not being cold hearted or just ignoring, it is a matter of priorities and physical abilities.

Jeff Hayes

I agree but I would add close friends to my list.

I almost got myself in trouble a few months ago when I saw a man grab a lady just outside of a store. I started to step in but it took me a few seconds to get there. Turned out she was a shoplifter and the man was store security. Know what you are getting into before you act, I almost screwed up big time.

Vitaeus

In regards to who I would use my firearm(okay it's actually the wife's) to defend, I will simply say "Me and Mine". Your definition and mine may differ and that is perfectly acceptable to me.

amlevin

I agree but I would add close friends to my list.

I almost got myself in trouble a few months ago when I saw a man grab a lady just outside of a store. I started to step in but it took me a few seconds to get there. Turned out she was a shoplifter and the man was store security. Know what you are getting into before you act, I almost screwed up big time.

Since everyone seems to like "scenarios" consider this one:

You are in a restaurant like Denney's and have been in the restroom. As you leave someone has just started shooting patrons, one by one, and he's facing away from you. Do you "take the shot" or do you retreat into the Restroom and call 911 on your Smart Phone? BTW, you have no family of friends in the restaurant.

I'm not so sure that it's all that easy to draw any lines or use a "one size fits all" approach.

Last edited: