• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Heading to Indiana in the next couple months

Noel Avenelle

Quick run down:

I will have my Ohio CCW by the time I go to Indiana.

Car carry: No duty to inform, no specific requirements as to the concealment (I can open carry in the car?), no specific requirements as to how it can or cannot be loaded.
Hotel carry: As I understand this is not regulated and is up to the hotel to handle.
Restaurant carry: I assume this is a lot like Ohio, no alcohol (obviously). Pretty much for the restaurant to handle.

Please inform me of any changes I need to consider while I go over the Indiana Code.

Fire825

You can carry in bars or anywhere alcohol is served in Indiana you can oc if your permit is not a ccw

cce1302

you can open carry on your Ohio concealed carry permit.

Indiana law does not differentiate between concealed and open carry.

"No guns" signs don't mean anything, but if they ask you to leave, you have to leave.

You might run into county police that don't know that open carry with a license is legal. Not as many lately, but still there are probably some out there.

Transport however you want in your car if you have your license. There's no law concerning hotels or restaurants and bars.

This is your friend: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/

Noel Avenelle

Now I'm a bit worried. i know on handgunlaw.us it says Indiana honors all other states' permits, however, on another forum I read that if you don't have the Indiana license and you open carry, you're gonna be in a world of BS.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

cce1302

Now I'm a bit worried. i know on handgunlaw.us it says Indiana honors all other states' permits, however, on another forum I read that if you don't have the Indiana license and you open carry, you're gonna be in a world of BS.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Indiana law does not differentiate between open and concealed carry. Indiana simply requires that you be licensed (by a state or a country) to carry a handgun. Ergo, if you open carry with any carry license, Indiana will have nothing to charge you with.

Noel Avenelle

Indiana law does not differentiate between open and concealed carry. Indiana simply requires that you be licensed (by a state or a country) to carry a handgun. Ergo, if you open carry with any carry license, Indiana will have nothing to charge you with.

Alright, thanks.

Glockcarrier

you can open carry on your Ohio concealed carry permit.

Indiana law does not differentiate between concealed and open carry.

"No guns" signs don't mean anything, but if they ask you to leave, you have to leave.

You might run into county police that don't know that open carry with a license is legal. Not as many lately, but still there are probably some out there.

Transport however you want in your car if you have your license. There's no law concerning hotels or restaurants and bars.

This is your friend: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/

"No guns" signs don't mean anything? With all due respect I must say that is a myth. I was told this by a friend who is a criminal lawyer and also an old friend who spent 20 years as a local leo. Even though Indiana is basically a gun friendly state, any business has the right to prohibit firearms inside. Think about it, it is their place of business.

And even though it is your 2nd amendment right, you can be legally kept out of any place with a "No guns" sign. Just like if I went to one of your homes, you could say come on in, but leave the pistol in your car. I say "it is my 2nd amendment right" and you say, "I don't care, it is my home - I pay the house payment and bills on it and if your comin in, the gun stays outside. If you don't like my rules you don't have to come inside". See the point?

In a neighboring town, the police chief persuaded many of the down town businesses to post no gun signs. I disagree with his tactics as he his obviously an anti-gunner and is pushing his agenda.

I don't see why they anti's don't wake up and smell the coffee. If someone armed with the intent to either rob a place or hurt someone - that sign will not stop them. If they are going to post anti-gun signs they might as well also post one saying "Attention Thieves, robbers and muggers. For your safety, security and convenience, we have barred all licensed gun carriers from entering this building".

Another thing I don't get, is every time someone goes on a rampage and shoots up a school, theatre or whatever, the government wants to make things harder for those who didn't do it.

Sorry, i am getting off topic and ranting.

cce1302

"No guns" signs don't mean anything? With all due respect I must say that is a myth. I was told this by a friend who is a criminal lawyer and also an old friend who spent 20 years as a local leo. Even though Indiana is basically a gun friendly state, any business has the right to prohibit firearms inside. Think about it, it is their place of business.

And even though it is your 2nd amendment right, you can be legally kept out of any place with a "No guns" sign. Just like if I went to one of your homes, you could say come on in, but leave the pistol in your car. I say "it is my 2nd amendment right" and you say, "I don't care, it is my home - I pay the house payment and bills on it and if your comin in, the gun stays outside. If you don't like my rules you don't have to come inside". See the point?

In a neighboring town, the police chief persuaded many of the down town businesses to post no gun signs. I disagree with his tactics as he his obviously an anti-gunner and is pushing his agenda.

I don't see why they anti's don't wake up and smell the coffee. If someone armed with the intent to either rob a place or hurt someone - that sign will not stop them. If they are going to post anti-gun signs they might as well also post one saying "Attention Thieves, robbers and muggers. For your safety, security and convenience, we have barred all licensed gun carriers from entering this building".

Another thing I don't get, is every time someone goes on a rampage and shoots up a school, theatre or whatever, the government wants to make things harder for those who didn't do it.

Sorry, i am getting off topic and ranting.

Hey no problem with the rant. Seeing "no guns" signs ticks me off too.

Let me clarify my earlier post that "'no guns' signs don't mean anything." I was talking about their legal force. They have none.

They do have a meaning, and the meaning is that it is the opinion of the property owners that they would prefer that you not bring a gun inside. However, a sign alone does not have the force of law like it does, say, in Texas, with their 30.06 law.

Murphy

Had no problems in the fine state of Indiana. however you guys need to stop taxing food, I'm not used to it.

Welcome to Indiana! Home of the International Cornhole Association...(Yes it's true...)

1: Gun laws are pretty self-explanatory. Worst areas are up near Chicago, and down around Bloomington....

2: More laws on fishing in this state than gun ownership. I'm still trying to figure out some of the fishing laws...

3: State is more restrictive on people with metal detectors and where they can "Treasure hunt", than gun ownership.

4: They don't "tax food" here...what you are getting is a "luxury tax added onto your meal" to help pay for the new football stadium (Lucas Oil Stadium), or to help finish paying for the old one (The RCA dome), that wasn't even fully paid for BEFORE they brought it down....

Welcome to Indiana...