• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

obamacare a huge success

eye95

I stopped listening when he quoted the IRS estimate of $20,000 per year for health insurance. This is inaccurate hyperbole. The guy sounds like just another demagogue. There are so many voices screaming "be afraid, be very afraid" from both sides of this issue.

http://www.factcheck.org/2013/03/obamacare-to-cost-20000-a-family/

I don't think that is hyperbolic. It amounts to about $1700 a month for a family. That is quite possible if the kind of inefficiencies government injects has a predictable effect on the cost of "health care."

Remember, when the income tax was first proposed, a senator stood up on the floor of the Senate that, if the tax were passed, it would soon reach 1/2 of a percent, and the American people would not stand for it. I am sure that was thought to be hyperbolic.

One of the reasons that Obamacontrol is so bad is that we, the people, lose control of the spending. When that happens, you get very expensive hammers, toilet seats, and "health care." That is the point, not the number--which is not at all hyperbolic.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Hyperbole or not, it is intellectually dishonest. The IRS did not estimate the cost of health care will be 20k by 2016. Please keep in mind I am not defending obamacare (and certainly not the IRS), or even attacking the speaker in the linked video.

I do not trust anyone, regardless of their political, religious, or what-have-you views that attempt to sway people with purely fear-based arguments. Chicken Little was debunked many years ago . . .

eye95

Hyperbole or not, it is intellectually dishonest. The IRS did not estimate the cost of health care will be 20k by 2016. Please keep in mind I am not defending obamacare (and certainly not the IRS), or even attacking the speaker in the linked video.

I do not trust anyone, regardless of their political, religious, or what-have-you views that attempt to sway people with purely fear-based arguments. Chicken Little was debunked many years ago . . .

You know for a fact that the IRS made no such estimate? It's hard to prove a negative. OTOH, are you calling the speaker out for not citing a source?

If someone could find a cite for this stat (or an IRS estimate that differs), that would kinda settle things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Actually that factcheck.org link I included above describes the original IRS statement that was subsequently misquoted. The 20k figure is just another "fact" created by the interwebz geniuses quoting each other.

Jeff Hayes

I stopped listening when he quoted the IRS estimate of $20,000 per year for health insurance. This is inaccurate hyperbole. The guy sounds like just another demagogue. There are so many voices screaming "be afraid, be very afraid" from both sides of this issue.

http://www.factcheck.org/2013/03/obamacare-to-cost-20000-a-family/

My insurance is going from $829 this year to $1659 per month Jan 1 2014 for my wife and I.

There are not enough people screaming be afraid IMHO.

eye95

My insurance is going from $829 this year to $1659 per month Jan 1 2014 for my wife and I.

There are not enough people screaming be afraid IMHO.

Let's see $1659 per month is $19,908 per year. And that is with no kids.

$20K per year is NOT hyperbole. Someone needs to finish watching the video.

Jeff Hayes

Let's see $1659 per month is $19,908 per year. And that is with no kids.

$20K per year is NOT hyperbole. Someone needs to finish watching the video.

Someone needs to understand the government subsidy is part of the cost of health insurance.

eye95

The person to whom my remark was directed was the person who stopped watching the video because he says that saying that 20K for health care was hyperbole. You reported 19.9 K. HE needs to finish watching the video.

Moving on.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

The person to whom my remark was directed was the person who stopped watching the video because he says that saying that 20K for health care was hyperbole. You reported 19.9 K. HE needs to finish watching the video.

Moving on.

My comment was directed at that person not you, we were discussing "someone" right? You get it, he does not. I so agree, he needs to finish the video.