• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No IMMUNITY for Charles Steger - lawsuit will proceed

Repeater

Feds: Va. Tech violated the Clery Act

The case at Va Tech is made even more tragic by the presence of the Corps of Cadets (in addition to several other Universities in the nation). Here you have a body of 800+ studentes, trained to arms and (mostly) in the ROTC of various branches of service. My son, for example, already has his Expert Medal in both Rifle & Pistol from the US Navy. Why is he not allowed to carry?

During the shootings the VTCC tried to act as UNARMED human distractions for Cho. Had they been allowed to carry, I would like to think that we would have a Matthew LaPorte HERO fund instead of a MEMORIAL fund.

Well, it gets worse for Steger:

Department of Education: Va. Tech broke Clery Act rules during April 16 shootings; may affect two lawsuits

A finding that Virginia Tech officials violated federal rules in responding to the April 16, 2007, shootings has vindicated victims' families critical of the handling of the tragedy, and may affect the outcome of two $10 million wrongful death lawsuits.

"There's no news -- nothing new in there for us," said Andy Goddard, father of wounded student Colin Goddard. "But it's nice to see that other people have got the message."

"I think it's just further proof of what the families have said all along -- that the university did not send out a warning soon enough that morning," said Lori Haas, mother of wounded student Emily Haas. "The department of education ... in their conclusion has now determined the same thing.

"We are not trying to malign the university," Haas added.

Of course, our friend, Larry Hincker, denies any wrong doing:

Virginia Tech official in denial before shootings and after report

That Hincker thinks he and his colleagues acted appropriately is hardly surprising though. After all, this is the same administrator who, before the shootings, publicly ridiculed an adult student advocating for campus concealed carry, stating:

Guns don't belong in classrooms. They never will. Virginia Tech has a very sound policy preventing same.
We can either conclude that he didn’t get it then and he doesn’t get it now, or else this is a guy who will say anything because that’s what flacks do.

TFred

Of course, our friend, Larry Hincker, denies any wrong doing:

Virginia Tech official in denial before shootings and after report
From Hincker's statement here, they are basically saying that there were different standards in place on the day of the shooting than are in place now, and that they can't be held to account for current standards on that day, since they didn't exist.

From the article above though, the author claims that the trash collection services were canceled 21 minutes before the students and faculty were notified.

I don't care what kind of standards you are using, when you tell your trash collection people 21 minutes before you tell your students, you have dug yourself a hole that you aren't going to get out of.

I'm as much of a VT fan as the next guy, maybe more since I have many friends and relatives who went there, but I have no tolerance for such incompetent, no, criminally negligent management and administration. It's starting to look like the VT alumni are going to need some deep pockets...

TFred

Last edited:

AbNo

I'm as much of a VT fan as the next guy,

Not me. I'm staying the hell away from that place when I go for my B.A.

If they can't learn their lesson with the blood of so many, they never will, and I don't want to die educating their stupid butts.

Last edited:

KaosDad

Not because I doubt you, but I do not remember reading anything about this. I would very much like to know more, is there anything published on these events?

Thanks,

TFred

ETFix grammar.

TFred - I am searching. I read the same account in two places, different authors accompanied by a phone-cam photo. Of course, now that folks want to know, I am coming up blank!!!! But I will keep looking.