• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA now supports Constitutional Carry!

paul@paul-fisher.com

It would be awesome if every state had Constitutional Carry. My post wasn't MI specific, but used as an example. Many states require permits from your home state in order to carry. Having a law like AZ and AK isn't more restrictive. It gives you the option of getting a permit if you want reciprocity with other states, and also gets rid of the federal GFSZA, and can get rid of the NICS check for gun purchases. Also, it would help eliminate a person from having to get several non-resident permits to carry outside of the state. NH has a non-resident permit that is cheap, and easy to get, but they don't recognize permits issued to people who live in a state that differs from where the permit is issued. Same with Florida (though theirs costs a ton). Wouldn't you rather give your money to your own state, rather than fork out a bunch of money across other states for the option to get a permit if you choose?

27 states allow OC with no permit, so, the majority of the country you can defend yourself without any state oversight. Let's get the other 23 to tag along.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
I hope that the NRA realizes they have an opportunity to stick a stake in the Joyce Foundation's attempt to bring Chicago style gun laws to Wisconsin. Maybe adoption of Constitution Carry will cause WAVE perform its mission of anti-violence education, not gun control.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Last edited:

polekat

From the email I received from Wi-Force today:

WI-FORCE's position has not changed: "Constitutional Carry" which, as it implies, is very close to the right as the Constitution guaranties, is the concept that we support.

polekat

I'd like to but I do not know if I can. Copy rights and all that. I copied and pasted that little bit to be sure I have it right.

CenTex

“Constitutional Carry”

Building on NRA’s “Constitutional Carry” successes in Alaska and Arizona, NRA is making a strong push for more “Constitutional Carry” states around the country, including Iowa. The proposed legislation would allow individuals who lawfully possess firearms—meaning individuals who are not federally prohibited from shipping, transporting, possessing, or receiving a firearm—to either open or conceal carry without a permit. The new shall-issue permit system would remain in place, for those who wish to carry concealed in states that recognize Iowa’s permit, but residents who legally qualify would no longer be subject to the permit process to carry concealed in state.

Can anyone validate that NRA had anything to do with Constitutional Carry in Alaska and Arizona?

BROKENSPROKET

That's great that the NRA is supporting Constitutional Carry for Iowa, but they are NOT supporting it in Wisconsin, so it means nothing for us. Jordan Austin still advocates a Shall Issue Permit System, until he changes his tune or is given the boot from his position, Constitutional Carry in Wisonsin is a pipe dream. Yes, I long for it and want it and will fight for it, but it is still a pipe dream.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

That's great that the NRA is supporting Constitutional Carry for Iowa, but they are NOT supporting it in Wisconsin, so it means nothing for us. Jordan Austin still advocates a Shall Issue Permit System, until he changes his tune or is given the boot from his position, Constitutional Carry in Wisonsin is a pipe dream. Yes, I long for it and want it and will fight for it, but it is still a pipe dream.

Isn't WI-Force the 'mouthpiece' of the NRA in WI? If so, their newsletter endorses Constitutional Carry.

BROKENSPROKET

Isn't WI-Force the 'mouthpiece' of the NRA in WI? If so, their newsletter endorses Constitutional Carry.

If I wore a hat I would eat it. BUT, they are also advocting for an optional permit system to 'compliment' Cont. Carry.

OOOhhhh, is just sounds to good to be true. I can imagine how that optional permit becomes mandatory.

paul@paul-fisher.com

OK. I emailed Jordan Austin from the NRA for some clarification. I just woke up from my faint.

Here's the question I asked:

I just received the legislative alert that said basically that the NRA is working on Constitutional Carry with a permit for reciprocity.

I want to make sure I understand what that means. Does it mean I will have the right to open and/or conceal carry with no permit/training requirement but if I want reciprocity I can voluntarily apply for a training optional permit?

Please respond.

Thanks!

Here is his response:

While I will take him at his word, how can a training optional permit be recognized by other states? What other states issue permits with no training and/or fingerprints?

polekat

My "guess" is that in order to get the Wisconsin optional permit, you will have to prove you've had training and you will have to be finger printed. If you do not get the optional permit, no training or finger printing to carry open or concealed while in Wisconsin. Just because Wisconsin hands out permits, it doesn't mean all other states or any other state have to accept them.

paul@paul-fisher.com

My "guess" is that in order to get the Wisconsin optional permit, you will have to prove you've had training and you will have to be finger printed. If you do not get the optional permit, no training or finger printing to carry open or concealed while in Wisconsin. Just because Wisconsin hands out permits, it doesn't mean all other states or any other state have to accept them.

I understand your point, however, read my question to him.

...but if I want reciprocity I can voluntarily apply for a training optional permit?...

So, even though his answer was terse, my reading is that WI permit will not require training. If other states will not recognize a no training permit, why have it, eve optionally? I understand IA will accept it after 1/1/11, what other states will?

Last edited:

wrightme

27 states allow OC with no permit, so, the majority of the country you can defend yourself without any state oversight. Let's get the other 23 to tag along.
OC is not always a viable option. Yes, get the other states to tag along, but we won't get that to happen. It does make sense to still provide methodology for those non-conforming states.

paul@paul-fisher.com

OC is not always a viable option. Yes, get the other states to tag along, but we won't get that to happen. It does make sense to still provide methodology for those non-conforming states.

I hate beating a dead horse but what other states will recognize an in state permit from a state that doesn't require training and/or fingerprinting?

wrightme

I hope that the NRA realizes they have an opportunity to stick a stake in the Joyce Foundation's attempt to bring Chicago style gun laws to Wisconsin. Maybe adoption of Constitution Carry will cause WAVE perform its mission of anti-violence education, not gun control.
NRA Life Benefactor Member
Mention it to them. Call them. email them. MEET with your area representative.

Like MANY such organizations, the NRA is most likely to support the desires of a majority of its membership. Make sure they are aware of your desires.