• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC..." OC is GATTOP...This law eliminates the open carry option..."

EricDailey X-NRA

"Going Armed To The Terror Of The People; By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself/herself with any unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public highways in a m...anner to cause terror to others. The N.C. Supreme Court states that any gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Therefore, persons are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms. This law eliminates the open carry option in many NC cities & towns."

GRNC Face Book post.

This looks bad to me. This quote is from a Face Book post from GRNC at their FB page in answer to my comment. See attached MS Paint file images of the screen capture. If you can get to the GRNC FB page you can find this yourself. Maybe GRNC only likes to post their alerts for us to read but they don't actually read anything about OC on here. I have yet to see any work GRNC is doing to fix OC bans in NC.

Maybe members of GRNC who OC aren't really grass roots people after all.

Attachments

• GRNC FB post pressure Tillis.jpg
    GRNC FB post pressure Tillis.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 295
  • GRNC FB page GATTOTP answerB.jpg
    GRNC FB page GATTOTP answerB.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 257

Smith45acp

I've heard this statute batted around so many times on this forum and by LEO's, but I don't think I can recall a simple OC'er being charged with it.

It would be unfortunate to have to go through the legal jungle but it sure would be an easy one to beat.

merc460

"Going Armed To The Terror Of The People; By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself/herself with any unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public highways in a m...anner to cause terror to others. The N.C. Supreme Court states that any gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Therefore, persons are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms. This law eliminates the open carry option in many NC cities & towns."

GRNC Face Book post.

This looks bad to me. This quote is from a Face Book post from GRNC at their FB page in answer to my comment. See attached MS Paint file images of the screen capture. If you can get to the GRNC FB page you can find this yourself. Maybe GRNC only likes to post their alerts for us to read but they don't actually read anything about OC on here. I have yet to see any work GRNC is doing to fix OC bans in NC.

Maybe members of GRNC who OC aren't really grass roots people after all.

I think you are missing the main point that it says.... "for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to others."
With Open Carry for personal protection, this is not the case.

Last edited:

chiefjason

They have opinion and common law, we have NCSC case law.

State v Huntley

It has been remarked that a double-barrel gun, or any other gun, cannot in this country come under the description of "unusual weapons," for there is scarcely a man in the community who does not own and occasionally use a gun of some sort. But we do not feel the force of this criticism. A gun is an "unusual weapon," wherewith to be armed and clad. No man amongst us carries it about with him, as one of his every day accoutrements--as a part of his dress--and never, we trust, will the day come when any deadly weapon will be worn or wielded in our peace-loving and law-abiding State, as an appendage of manly equipment. But although a gun is an "unusual weapon," it is to be remembered that the carrying of a gun, per se, constitutes no (p.423)offence. For any lawful purpose--either of business or amusement--the citizen is at perfect liberty to carry his gun. It is the wicked purpose, and the mischievous result, which essentially constitute the crime. He shall not carry about this or any other weapon of death to terrify and alarm, and in such manner as naturally will terrify and alarm a peaceful people.

http://www.guncite.com/court/state/25nc418.html

I do need to add that it is terribly disappointing to see this come from GRNC. I understand the mall zombies comment. Incrementalism got us in this position, and in some form that's what it will take to get us out. Get the easy victories now and use the fact that they cause no issues to go after the harder ones. But the GATTTOTP comment is ridiculous. Someone needs to give them a heads us.

Last edited:

EricDailey X-NRA

We Agree

I think you are missing the main point that it says.... "for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to others."
With Open Carry for personal protection, this is not the case.

My post is regards the comment from the GRNC member who replied to me on their Face Book page. I DO see the point that you have quoted. I DO see it. We agree.

Merc460, it is the statement of the GRNC member that indicates that OC is not their objective that concerns me. Like anyone who reads these forum threads I know that what you say is correct. I am uncertain that the Face Book GRNC member knows what you know. If he does not know what you know then who at GRNC knows what you said? Who a GRNC knows that OC is not GATTOTP? None of the new laws correct OC bans. The new laws only correct CC laws. So Merc460 I ask you is GRNC friend or foe of OC? If you find out please tell us all.

EricDailey X-NRA

Tribute

http://www.guncite.com/court/state/25nc418.html

... I understand the mall zombies comment. Incrementalism got us in this position, and in some form that's what it will take to get us out. Get the easy victories now and use the fact that they cause no issues to go after the harder ones. But the GATTTOTP comment is ridiculous. Someone needs to give them a heads us.

I understand this comment and agree completely with this approach. I gratefully acknowledge the epic work of the GRNC over the last twenty years to bring us so many victories. Thank you GRNC. I am a member of GRNC. I urge all 2A supporters to join GRNC.

mekender

Realistically, all of the gun groups are concerned with a complete, nationwide, shall issue right to carry... The manner of carry does not matter only that some form of carry MUST be allowed.

Things like the gaps in carry, like the fact that some cities in NC ban OC, are going to have to be probably tackled at a legislative level once gun rights have been solidly ingrained in every day life for a while is my guess.

That the gun groups are not focusing on OC should not be a big concern, they have far bigger fish to fry than that one right now and there are indeed more fundamental parts of the right to keep and bear arms that are far more pressing of a concern to people.

EricDailey X-NRA

Realistically, all of the gun groups are concerned with a complete, nationwide, shall issue right to carry... The manner of carry does not matter only that some form of carry MUST be allowed.

Things like the gaps in carry, like the fact that some cities in NC ban OC, are going to have to be probably tackled at a legislative level once gun rights have been solidly ingrained in every day life for a while is my guess.

That the gun groups are not focusing on OC should not be a big concern, they have far bigger fish to fry than that one right now and there are indeed more fundamental parts of the right to keep and bear arms that are far more pressing of a concern to people.

I can make little sense of this post and I can agree with none of it.

EricDailey X-NRA

I can make little sense of this post and I can agree with none of it.

You commented in this thread and another one as to why none of the gun groups are trying to get rid of OC bans... I answered your question.

mekender,
Thanks for your help. I know you have lots of experience with this.

It looks like you are saying that "all the gun groups"( which ones ?) are concerned with" some kind of gun possession but what kind "does not matter" and that problems like "gaps in carry..... and bans" will get fixed later(somewhere, some how). You say that "gun groups are not focusing on OC should not be a big concern" but I don't know why that is not of concern here at OPEN CARRY dot ORG where we focus on OPEN CARRY.

I'm sorry if this post sounds confused but I have gotten confused here. Your post sounds like you really know what you are talking about but you don't really say anything specific. You don't state who is going to do what or when. You seem to just say that someone will do something. Well, you may be right but I don't see what you mean.

I don't recognize any "bigger fish to fry" or "more fundamental parts of the right to keep and bear arms" than OC.

So if I got this wrong I just hope someone here can help me figure out what I'm missing.
Thanks again.

mekender

mekender,
Thanks for your help. I know you have lots of experience with this.

It looks like you are saying that "all the gun groups"( which ones ?) are concerned with" some kind of gun possession but what kind "does not matter" and that problems like "gaps in carry..... and bans" will get fixed later(somewhere, some how). You say that "gun groups are not focusing on OC should not be a big concern" but I don't know why that is not of concern here at OPEN CARRY dot ORG where we focus on OPEN CARRY.

I'm sorry if this post sounds confused but I have gotten confused here. Your post sounds like you really know what you are talking about but you don't really say anything specific. You don't state who is going to do what or when. You seem to just say that someone will do something. Well, you may be right but I don't see what you mean.

I don't recognize any "bigger fish to fry" or "more fundamental parts of the right to keep and bear arms" than OC.

So if I got this wrong I just hope someone here can help me figure out what I'm missing.
Thanks again.

The right to keep and bear arms will always have limitations, that is just how our political and judicial system works, you will NEVER get a 100% unfettered right. At the moment, the NRA and SAF along with Calguns and other groups are working on court cases that will establish once and for all that there is a right to bear arms.

It is likely that some manner of restricting time, manner and place of carry will be permitted by the courts as has already been hinted at by the "sensitive places" parts of Heller. The key is, that because of cases in CA, TX, MD and other places, within the next couple of years there will be a court recognized right that SOME form of bearing arms must be permitted in each state. Now I actually had a problem with this at first because the method of challenging these cases will likely lead to a situation where states will have the ability to ban OC so long as CC is permitted, at least from the court's perspective. As I said, the "bigger fish to fry" is that in some states there is a complete ban or a de facto ban on carry at all. Additionally another prize that these groups are heading toward is a national reciprocity just like you now have for drivers licenses. I pretty much think that will become a reality in the next 5 years or so if it does not get implemented legislatively before that.

However you have to look at the politics of gun rights too... For one, we have a 40+ state majority that is almost 100% shall issue when it comes to CCW. That means that politically, even if the courts do not recognize a right to bear arms, there is still enough states that do to make Amendment 28 a reality.

Secondly, there is a big political momentum now trending toward constitutional carry. What I see is that just like with CCW as more states trend toward constitutional carry, there will be more and more evidence that shows that it just is not a big problem. This means it is normalized and becomes a better likelihood of being dealt with at the legislative level. This is likely the same path that parts of the NFA are going to have to be dealt with using... You will never get a court to say that a machine gun is part of the fundamental 2A... Nor will you likely get a court to say that all forms of carry must be allowed as part of the 2nd. So like I said, the legislature becomes just as important of a tool as the courts for fixing these problems.

But I do not think that the legislature will be fully on our side until we have unequivocal declarations from the courts that say that there is a fundamental right to bear arms. Once that happens, it is a lot easier to ratchet up the pressure on those legislators that vote against bills because now they are voting against rights that have been specifically defined by the courts as being fundamental. As I said, that the gun groups aren't laser focused on OC right now is not a big concern, there are foundational steps that have to be handled and they are handling those it seems. Once some of the big stuff gets knocked out of the way a bit, they will have much more ability to pick off the lower hanging fruit for things like the pistol permit, OC bans by municipalities, NFA sections, etc...

ETA: One more thing... You really have to be careful if you start to take the "I don't recognize any "bigger fish to fry" or "more fundamental parts of the right to keep and bear arms" than OC." stance... That stance is no different than the absolutists that want to scream "shall not be infringed" or the Libertarians that start screaming "legalize drugs" as soon as one of their candidates gets a good podium to speak from. While you might be right, you will not get Suzy Soccermom to agree with you and Suzy and her pals have a lot more voting numbers than you do.

Last edited:

EricDailey X-NRA

Stories Not Data

Grass Roots North Carolina (GRNC) commented on their Face Book status. Monday evening June 13

"Grass Roots North Carolina (GRNC) wrote:

"Let's review a scenario that's occurred over and over and over again in NC. I'll type slow so everyone who's been following the postings on GATTTOTP can keep up... A citizen has traveled from Point A to Point B in the state of North Carolina. The citizen then exits their vehicle so he/she can walk the rest of the way to their destination. The citizen has chosen earlier that day to open carry for the duration of the day until returning home that evening. While walking down the street, minding his/her business, the citizen passes another person who can't help but notice the firearm. Immediately the other person uses their wireless communication device to call 911 and report to local law enforcement that a person is walking down the street with a gun. Local law enforcement in many NC areas have no choice but to respond to the call and locate the suspect who is going armed to the terror of the public. Once law enforcement is able to locate our law-abiding citizen, who is legal to open carry, a whole line of questions and answers from an investigation frame of mind will follow. The events that follow will vary from city to town in NC on what happens next. Sometimes nothing happens to our citizen after cooperating with officers, sometimes our citizen will be detained and taken before a Magistrate, sometimes our citizen may decide to seek council. The point being that no matter how much in the right you are in NC on the topic of open carry, others are out there to make your life harder. And the worst part of this scenario is that nothing ever happens to the person who placed the call against our law-abiding citizen. So sometimes it can be recommended that a citizen just carry concealed and avoid any unnecessary hassle. Pick your battles carefully ... open carry concerns can wait for another day, lets stay focused on the current bills under review right now and we'll have plenty of time to go back and address open carry procedures."

This is posted at GRNC Face Book page.

mekender

Grass Roots North Carolina (GRNC) commented on their Face Book status. Monday evening June 13

"Let's review a scenario that's occurred over and over and over again in NC. I'll type slow so everyone who's been following the postings on GATTTOTP can keep up... A citizen has traveled from Point A to Point B in the state of North Carolina. The citizen then exits their vehicle so he/she can walk the rest of the way to their destination. The citizen has chosen earlier that day to open carry for the duration of the day until returning home that evening. While walking down the street, minding his/her business, the citizen passes another person who can't help but notice the firearm. Immediately the other person uses their wireless communication device to call 911 and report to local law enforcement that a person is walking down the street with a gun. Local law enforcement in many NC areas have no choice but to respond to the call and locate the suspect who is going armed to the terror of the public. Once law enforcement is able to locate our law-abiding citizen, who is legal to open carry, a whole line of questions and answers from an investigation frame of mind will follow. The events that follow will vary from city to town in NC on what happens next. Sometimes nothing happens to our citizen after cooperating with officers, sometimes our citizen will be detained and taken before a Magistrate, sometimes our citizen may decide to seek council. The point being that no matter how much in the right you are in NC on the topic of open carry, others are out there to make your life harder. And the worst part of this scenario is that nothing ever happens to the person who placed the call against our law-abiding citizen. So sometimes it can be recommended that a citizen just carry concealed and avoid any unnecessary hassle. Pick your battles carefully ... open carry concerns can wait for another day, lets stay focused on the current bills under review right now and we'll have plenty of time to go back and address open carry procedures."

After spending the past 4+ years looking for incidents like that, I can only think of a couple and at least one of those was a situation where someone had the gun in their hand moving it from their trunk to their front seat...

If it was such a big problem, how come we dont have people posting about it daily here?

Badger Johnson

If you OC amid a group of 100 people and only 1 is 'terrified' is that GATTOTP?

What about 2 terrified and 98 feel safer knowing a responsible armed citizen is there? If not 1 or 2, then how many? Is it then ok to 'terrorize 2%' of people or not?

If an archer back from bowhunting target practice walks into a Mall and several people are scared - can these people be arrested under the statute or is it only applicable if a HG or rifle or projectile weapon?

Can a person drive recklessly in a car terrifying a large number of people but never quite breaking the law in a major way (never hits anyone), never encounters a LEO is he/she GATTOTP? Is a car a weapon? Can you kill someone with it intentionally?

So a large number of people doing things that are terrifying are simply ok while a person with an unloaded HG in a holster is not, what is the law designed for? Most strong people can kill someone with a club (unloaded 1911, or M-1 rifle). Does this statute apply to the gun or just the bullets (loaded gun)?

If an 90 y.o. grandmaw walks down the street OC-ing, and a 30 y.o. bodybuilder walks down the street OC-ing can one be charged and not the other?

Stupid law, imo. Impossible to apply, explain or adjudicate.

rotorhead

Simply carrying a gun does not constitute a charge of "GOing Armed To...". There must be intent to terrorize or otherwise threaten the public, and this intent must be proven. Can people get charged for it while carrying? Sure, but it's extremely rare to get charged for it on it's own for simply carrying openly without other circumstances surrounding an incident.

As for GRNC's position on carrying openly vs working on current legislation regarding CC, I don't see much of an issue to get worked up about. GRNC is only so big with only so many resources available right now. If it had the numbers and the payroll to do more, I'm sure it would. Due to it's current limitations, it's doing what it can, where it can. One of the reasons GRNC spends it's limited time and resources dealing with CC laws compared to OC related laws is that NC has a pretty liberal view of OC. In other words, OC is pretty much already legal within the state already. Yes, there are limitations to OC, but for the most part, the state already allows for it. Most of the restrictions are fairly common in other states with similar laws, so they are now going after the restrictions against CC. That said, the laws concerning OC were heavily influenced by GRNC years ago to make it possible in the first place, so to say they don't care about OC is a bit disingenuous. The OC freedoms we enjoy today are, in part, due to the specific efforts of GRNC years ago.

GRNC also understands and works with and through the legislative process in the state and does it's best to push the bills most likely to affect the widest possible number of concerned citizens as it sees reasonable. There are massive limitations within this process and whether we like it or not, there are certain bills which simply would have no chance of passing under the current political climate in the state. Therefore, they have to work with what they can to pass what they can under these limitations, as well as the limitations in funds available to GRNC. There's simply not a bottomless barrel of cash available to GRNC, nor is the political climate in Raleigh very favorable toward GRNC's goals.

It's a simple matter of math and numbers, along with the fact that the political process presents very real roadblocks toward the goals of responsible gun owners. Is GRNC perfect? No, and they never will be. But I don't hold that against them due to the reasons above. There's simply no way to flood the legislative branch with every fix to every problem all of the time in the hopes of pleasing everyone.

If there is another group or organization within the state that's working harder to change gun laws in NC and is more effective in doing so, I'd love to hear about them.

Last edited:

cricketdad

[QUOTE nor is the political climate in Raleigh very favorable toward GRNC's goals.
.[/QUOTE]

You hit that nail square on the head. Our "friends" are more worried about opinion polls and media blitzes about how bad we gun owners are, than doing the right thing and passing pro gun bills.

EricDailey X-NRA

Goals

[QUOTE nor is the political climate in Raleigh very favorable toward GRNC's goals.QUOTE]

...Our "friends" are more worried about opinion polls and media blitzes about how bad we gun owners are, than doing the right thing and passing pro gun bills.

If I can, I'd like to find out what is being done to address this problem about our "friends" and how are we gonna help them overcome their anxiety and act like men.

I also need a better idea of GRNC's goals because I don't have much evidence that GRNC knows and cares about OC. If we're supporting GRNC we need to know what they are planning and so far that's a little hard to find out.

We shouldn't get bamboozled by stories about how tough it is. Policy for how to fix the bad 2A laws in NC should be guided by data and numbers. If GRNC can't tell us the data that is driving their work then we got a problem.

Last edited:

CDT COX

We shouldn't get bamboozled by stories about how tough it is. Policy for how to fix the bad 2A laws in NC should be guided by data and numbers. If GRNC can't tell us the data that is driving their work then we got a problem.

Not to mention they think we are stupid

:banghead: It's a post, it doesn't matter if you typed it in 3 minutes of 3 hours. We'll be able to read it just fine