• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting OC event yesterday when going to register one of my vehicles.

DocWalker

I live in a small town and went to register one of my vehicles and have always open or concealed carried without issues. I was getting ready to walk into the door and noticed a 5x7 card about two feet from the bottom of the door that said "NO UNAUTHERIZED WEAPONS ALLOWED". I paused for a few seconds and then stuck my head in the door and asked the two ladies "what is considered an unautherized weapon?" This is a small building about the size of a trailer and I was the only customer at the time. They asked me what I had, I told them I was open carrying my Tauras 45ACP and that it was leagal to open carry in Idaho. They looked at each other confused and said nobody has ever asked and they didn't know and to come on in and register my vehicle. I did without problems, they were polite and I was respectful but I think all three of us were a little confussed about the card on the door. I told them they should find out who put the sign there and what it means "UNAUTHERIZED". Strange is all I have to say.

DocWalker

I hope you injected the misspelling....unautherized? ;)

If not, sounds like there are bigger issues to address.

Ok, I will go back and check but it is more than likely I fat figered it as I only had a minute to write this up this morning. Saying nothing about the event your job as the grammer police is secure. You can go about your perfect life and keep pointing out others mistakes.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Those "No Unauthorized Waepons Allowed" signs are a hoot! They provide no notice of what weapons are in fact authorized, or who has the authority to provide an authorization, so are essentially meaningless.

If OC is not illegal in your state (seems obvious it is not) and there is no you-can't-buy-this-gun-because-of-cosmetic-features list then it seems someone, somewhere, either authorized, or did not in fact "unauthorize", your handgun. Add to that the inference that you have a permission slip to hide your handgun, which is another authorization of your weapon of choice.

If the two ladies who inhabit that small office structure have no idea who put the sign up, or why, or under what authority, you might volunteer to remove it before some child gets a paper cut walking past it. They'll probably thank you.

stay safe.

Badger Johnson

Those "No Unauthorized Waepons Allowed" signs are a hoot!

stay safe.

All my weapons are authorized by my SO and boy is she strict. Everything has to match. Ammo, holster, folder. I've been sent back to change more than once. :)

Last edited:

Ruby

Those "No Unauthorized Waepons Allowed" signs are a hoot! They provide no notice of what weapons are in fact authorized, or who has the authority to provide an authorization, so are essentially meaningless.

If OC is not illegal in your state (seems obvious it is not) and there is no you-can't-buy-this-gun-because-of-cosmetic-features list then it seems someone, somewhere, either authorized, or did not in fact "unauthorize", your handgun. Add to that the inference that you have a permission slip to hide your handgun, which is another authorization of your weapon of choice.

If the two ladies who inhabit that small office structure have no idea who put the sign up, or why, or under what authority, you might volunteer to remove it before some child gets a paper cut walking past it. They'll probably thank you.

stay safe.

OC is legal in Idaho, read his first post.

jammer

ok, i will go back and check but it is more than likely i fat figered it as i only had a minute to write this up this morning. Saying nothing about the event your job as the grammer police is secure. You can go about your perfect life and keep pointing out others mistakes.

hey doc, i wouldn't worry about the whiz kid on spelling , you know what they say about "missouri mules" right?

DocWalker

I can't wait to find out about this mule thing either, I have family that live in Missery....err Missori...or is it Missouri. (just spelling sarcasim I ment to spell the words wrong)

carracer

Not to complicate things, but, I will anyway. The Idaho Gun regulations 18-3302 specify CONCEALED carry is illegal in courthouses. Nothing is stated about open carry. HOWEVER, the Idaho Supreme Court has found it has judicial powers to regulate the Security of the Supreme Court rooms and State Court Facilities. It has passed that power to lower courts of district. It has stated that the Legislature has no power to overide judicial orders as to courthouses. It has declared Possesion of a weapon in a courthouse, court room or court facility is prohibited.

With tha said, the Canyon County Court has declared the Motor Vehicle Registration Annex as Court House Facilities as it used to be in the Canyon county Courthouse building.

In Mountain Home and other areas? Depends on the Judge. He has all the power.

http://blog.joehuffman.org/content/binary/FifeLetter20070918125807052.pdf

Badger Johnson

Ok, I will go back and check but it is more than likely I fat figered it as I only had a minute to write this up this morning. Saying nothing about the event your job as the grammer police is secure. You can go about your perfect life and keep pointing out others mistakes.

Hehe, you misspelled 'fingered' and 'grammar'. (bats eyelashes and grins mischievously)

Redbaron007

I'm curious about these Missouri Mules that have been referenced. :uhoh:

The ones I've seen don't OC...don't know about CCW. :p

Please, enlighten me/us Missourians.

Tanks!

SavageOne

I can't wait to find out about this mule thing either, I have family that live in Missery....err Missori...or is it Missouri. (just spelling sarcasim I ment to spell the words wrong)

The mule thing is simple. Mess with a Mule, be prepared for an Ass kicking. Mule....Ass....get it. :)

MilProGuy

...the Idaho Supreme Court...has declared Possesion of a weapon in a courthouse, court room or court facility is prohibited.

With tha said, the Canyon County Court has declared the Motor Vehicle Registration Annex as Court House Facilities as it used to be in the Canyon county Courthouse building.

Surely there are no courthouses anywhere that will permit weapons inside.

Interestingly, in DeSoto County, Mississippi, I asked the Deputy Sheriff who sits just inside the DC Municipal Building if it was permissible to conceal carry with a firearms permit inside the municipal complex (which is behind the county courthouse), and he said it was allowed with a firearms permit.

I learned something new that day. :lol:

sudden valley gunner

Surely there are no courthouses anywhere that will permit weapons inside.

Interestingly, in DeSoto County, Mississippi, I asked the Deputy Sheriff who sits just inside the DC Municipal Building if it was permissible to conceal carry with a firearms permit inside the municipal complex (which is behind the county courthouse), and he said it was allowed with a firearms permit.

I learned something new that day. :lol:

I never take legal advice from a LEO, find out what your state law says on it yourself.

Fallschirjmäger

There's a park near where I live, "Gary Pirkle Park" to be exact that has the clause, "No Unauthorized Weapons Allowed in Park" as one of its rules. I took a moment to email the person listed as the Point of Contact for the parks and received a phone call in return.
Apparently it means "As long as you have a license to carry a weapon in Georgia, then we consider it to be an 'authorized' weapon." I would have made mention that a weapons license was not required with long arms, but I seem to recall that long arms, bows and arrows, spring guns, air rifles, slingshots, or any other device which discharges projectiles are already prohibited in parks per state law.(O.C.G.A. § 12-3-10 (o) (2))

I think what it really means is "We're too cheap to manufacture new signs, and we'd like all the visitors to at least believe that they can't bring weapons to the park."

Last edited:

Redbaron007

Seeing as I am from South Carolina, originally, and now live in Missery due to employment, I'll agree with you that it is Missery....though, they do have a higher regard for OC here in Missery than they do in SC.

You are free to leave the same way you came. And if that isn't possible, you can just leave anyway and at anytime....preferably the sooner the better!! ;)