• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns on campus

seaweaver

I cannot have my truck rifle in the rig when picking up the kids.
The new castle laws (Dec1st) say that I may IF I am permitted and the gun is in stick or rock form and locked from reach......what happens when I pull off the road just off school property... Pull my rifle(16.25" Marlin .35 rem) and reload and replace it back in it proper position....arms reach?(if I were to acquiesce to Government "authority" and sign a document asking for my "right")
....this pisses me off to no end.
cw

jag06

The new castle laws (Dec1st) say that I may IF I am permitted and the gun is in stick or rock form and locked from reach......what happens when I pull off the road just off school property... Pull my rifle(16.25" Marlin .35 rem) and reload and replace it back in it proper position....arms reach?(if I were to acquiesce to Government "authority" and sign a document asking for my "right")
cw

Whats even worse is sitting in class and being told earlier that morning in the bathroom 2 doors down a couple people robbed someone at knife point, and not being able to carry to protect myself. To me, school grounds are where you might need a gun to protect yourself the most. Hopefully one day we can get the government to figure that out. At the community college I went to, in a month period we had two robberies and a rape in the parking lot, next to the public safety building of all places in sight of 30 cop cars.

bc.cruiser

cw

More bad new for you: Long guns are NOT covered in this. Guns that may be carried are those for which a CHP has been issued (handguns), which still must be unloaded and locked away. So, if you carry a long gun, even unloaded and locked up, onto school property or to a school activity, you are WRONG.

Big Note here: This is my non-binding, non-lawyer, personal interpretation. I also think HB 650 helped a lot, but left too much uncorrected.

Dreamer

More bad new for you: Long guns are NOT covered in this. Guns that may be carried are those for which a CHP has been issued (handguns), which still must be unloaded and locked away. So, if you carry a long gun, even unloaded and locked up, onto school property or to a school activity, you are WRONG.

Big Note here: This is my non-binding, non-lawyer, personal interpretation. I also think HB 650 helped a lot, but left too much uncorrected.

Your interpretation of this new law is 100% accurate. The new provision for transporting onto school property DOES NOT include long guns--only firearms which are covered under a CHP--which would ONLY be "handguns".

The new law sucks less than the old law, but it STILL sucks...

chiefjason

Guns that may be carried are those for which a CHP has been issued (handguns), which still must be unloaded and locked away.

Can you point us to this? I'm pretty familiar with HB 650, and the educational property provisions were struck out. The provision for having it in a locked container is for some state properties, not educational property. I would be tickled silly if I am just missing it. But I don't think it's their the way you are interpreting it. I believe that wording was removed by the Senate when it came out of committee on 6-14. It was not replaced in the final draft. This bill went through some big changes.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

Can you point us to this? I'm pretty familiar with HB 650, and the educational property provisions were struck out. The provision for having it in a locked container is for some state properties, not educational property. I would be tickled silly if I am just missing it. But I don't think it's their the way you are interpreting it. I believe that wording was removed by the Senate when it came out of committee on 6-14. It was not replaced in the final draft. This bill went through some big changes.

ChiefJason: I believe you are correct. I found the ratified final draft and it does say NO to any carry on educational property. This would keep NC in line with Federal law (GFSZ).

Apparently I was using the draft that was sent to the senate. Sorry, folks.
If anyone else wants to see this same copy, it's at http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/PDF/H650v5.pdf

Last edited:

Dreamer

Thanks for that link. Upon reading it in it's entirety, I was a little shocked to see all the perks and exemptions being extended to DAs, ADAs, investigators, detention officers, et.al. It appears that the entire judiciary and LE community in NC is now pretty much exempt from all the tedious and egregious restrictions under which We the People must suffer...

Perks for pretty much everyone involved in the Prison-Industrial Complex in NC--yeah, I feel safer already...

Any government "official" who will vote for or lobby for such perks while actively working to deny the same rights to Citizens is a treasonous scoundrel, and should be met with scorn, derision, and disrespect at every available opportunity.

Who put these provisions into this Bill? The legislator responsible for these provisions needs to be publicly "outed", and then promptly voted out of office at the earliest available opportunity...

chiefjason

ChiefJason: I believe you are correct. I found the ratified final draft and it does say NO to any carry on educational property. This would keep NC in line with Federal law (GFSZ).

Apparently I was using the draft that was sent to the senate. Sorry, folks.
If anyone else wants to see this same copy, it's at http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/PDF/H650v5.pdf

FWIW, the GFSZ would be irrelevant if NC made it legal. Other states have done similar. Some are much less strict to include carrying in the vehicle and some on campus. It's a fairly weak, and little used law. And the states can just go around it if they choose.

Don't sweat missing it. I tried hard to keep up and still missed some things. There was a lot of moving and shaking going on last session.

Dreamer, I think those provisions came about when HB 650 was combined with the other bills floating around. The Senate put several bills together and sent it back to the House when they were done.

ncwabbit

sigh...

come on, surely it is obvious the 39yo female was significantly distrubed to wound others (her children, son's girlfriend, and her current boyfriend), and then take their own life. toll: victim and her two sons dead. she wounded 'a man she was having an affair with' on campus after she drove up in a parking lot to 'say hello'.

do you truly think you would have been quick enough w/your OC/CC firearm to prevent this individual from shooting her boyfriend in the shoulder and then drove off? it is a tragic event that just happened to occur on a campus as well within the female's house. this instance could have easily occured on state property or in police parking lot or anywhere else within NC where firearms are prohibited.

forgive my post but i grow weary over ppl pointing to some isolated incident that just happened, out of the blue, in a campus parking lot and my hope it slows the discussion train down a bit as it is not germaine to this thread.

i am a firm believer of ppl carrying on campus and open to value added discussion not hashing something like this...but i am more concerned when i hear of college age ppl and the university staff cowering in their rooms and not even moving against the perp. (didn't hear of any va tech students(72yo prof is exception who died while closing and holding the door closed) who died challenging the gunman! WHY not...?)

wabbit