• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forest Carry

Kirbinator

I realize this is a tad Alabama specific, but I feel the information on the website listed below is inaccurate at best. I am posting here because I need information related to lawful carry of firearms on USDA / Forest Service properties, specifically specific code sections and laws thereof.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/alabama/law/:

"Firearms on National Forests lands in Alabama - Visitors are allowed to carry concealed firearms on National Forest general forest areas, as long as they are in possession of a valid pistol permit issued by a county sheriff. However, no weapons, concealed or otherwise, may be carried onto a forest Service or any other federal administrative office or site. Also, if the National Forest general forest area is also a State wildlife Management Area (WMA), state regulation generally prohibits all firearms unless a scheduled hunt is in progress, and even then, there are limitations on the types of firearms that may be carried. The State Department of Natural Resources should be contacted for specific regulations pertaining to firearm possession in WMAs."

1) Alabama is an open-carry state, as affirmed by the state constitution.

2) Concealed carry is a crime.

3) The issuance of a concealed pistol license (CPL, specifically CPL!) allows the holder to break the concealed carry law.

4) The right of law enforcement to carry firearms extends from the right of the citizens to carry, although law has been written that allows law enforcement to carry on other private property WITHOUT the owner's permission (and specifically against the owner's wishes).

5) As we have the right to bear arms, the presence of a pistol during a hunting season is not unlicensed hunting (unless said firearm is being used for the hunting, but this would require shell collection).

So what I am asking is:

As a state license has been issued by my sheriff, to me, do I HAVE to conceal carry?

Can I openly carry a firearm?

Can you provide me with the code section that applies to this particular branch of government?

Kirbinator

You're in the wrong forum mate. I can answer all your questions for Virginia, but none for Alabama.

I wasn't aware that the USDA regulations were different for each state.... I do understand a basis in whatever state laws apply, however the problem here is ... what rules has the USDA set already, and do they carry the force of law?

Otherwise, I'm back to Heller and my own state's law.

t33j

I wasn't aware that the USDA regulations were different for each state.... I do understand a basis in whatever state laws apply, however the problem here is ... what rules has the USDA set already, and do they carry the force of law?

Otherwise, I'm back to Heller and my own state's law.

Oh I doubt they do. I've never seen any DOA regulations prohibiting firearms, but that might just be because State law is in the way of national forest carry first in Va.