• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What license do you need to open carry at 18 thru 20 years old ?

xDayan

Last edited:

cdrhoad

For Utah, that is inaccurate. It probably states that because current laws state that unlicensed carry MUST be open and Utah unloaded (empty chamber). However it is likely to change this legislative session.
If you are 18 to 20 and want to carry loaded, I reccomend you get a Maine permit. They issue non-res permits and to qualified individuals who are 18 or older.
Just watch out for those pesky school zones untill you get a Utah permit.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
There is a lot of information about obtaining an Non-resident Maine permit here

Hopefully in a few months, a permit will no longer be necessary in Utah. ;)

Or you could carry openly and unloaded for now.

JoeSparky

Centurion
And Utah defines UNLOAED as NO round in firing position and more than one action to make it go bang. So for a semi-auto.... empty chamber full magazine in gun. For a revolver-- cylinder under hammer must not have a live round or the next cylinder to rotate under the hammer. I don't see it specified in the law but the concensus is that a "safety" does not count as one of the "more than one actions".

Rick H

Minimum Age to OC 18 (Valid Permit Required) From WHERE????

This is all it says on the Opencarry.org page for Utah Minimum Age to OC 18 (Valid Permit Required) and that is it. I have looked every and anywhere to find out this info with no luck, so I'm asking that if anyone has the time to help it would be great Thank You All for your time and efforts

colormered

Permit required.

The point is, ANY valid permit will do. Utah does not issue permits to persons under the age of 21. So that leaves any other government entity that DOES issue to persons under 21, namely Maine. If you happen to have one issued by the town of Plymouth, New Hampshire, that's good enough. That's why it doesn't specify where it must be issued. ANY government entity will do.

And that refers to loaded (ready to fire) OC. Unloaded carry (as described above and elsewhere) does not require a permit, subject to other locational restrictions.

Last edited:

cdrhoad

This is all it says on the Opencarry.org page for Utah Minimum Age to OC 18 (Valid Permit Required) and that is it. I have looked every and anywhere to find out this info with no luck, so I'm asking that if anyone has the time to help it would be great Thank You All for your time and efforts

It is not correct. No permit required to OC in Utah... as long as you don't have one on the tube.

rpyne

And Utah defines UNLOAED as NO round in firing position and more than one action to make it go bang. So for a semi-auto.... empty chamber full magazine in gun. For a revolver-- cylinder under hammer must not have a live round or the next cylinder to rotate under the hammer. I don't see it specified in the law but the concensus is that a "safety" does not count as one of the "more than one actions".

For a semi-auto you are completely correct. Also, your definition of what is required for a revolver is correct for a double action revolver. For a single action revolver, it is only required to not have a live round in the firing position. The second empty chamber is not necessary because you must manually cock the hammer to fire. Single action revolvers such as the NAA Mini can qualify with no empty chambers because they are built to allow having the hammer rest between chambers.