• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Mis-informed Police Officer or Corruption?

DWCook

Activist Member
Once again I had to regular shooter at the bullet hole who was apparently told by a MO Police Officer that she can carry a loaded firearm in her car without having the need for a permit. This is exactly why I feel the need to go to the News press and get the public's attention on how a lot of incorrect information is being passed around by our own "Law Enforcement Officers". I do not understand how this many officers have very little knowledge of their own city/county when it comes to weapon laws. Now I may be blowing this out of proportion but I did ask her "The officer did tell you that you can carry a loaded firearm in your car with no permit?" Her response was yes as she even herself asked the officer two times to verify the answer coming from the officer.

I informed her that she has to have a permit to carry loaded in the car as that is considered concealed when the weapon is inside the vehicle. She argued with stating that the officer told her this information and pretty much anything that comes out of a LEO mouth is true. Once again I had to inform her of the many complaints against LEO's for not knowing the correct information of there own laws. I gave her this site as a means of resource for getting better knowledge and ask questions if she has any concerns. Also told her to look up "Missouri Laws" concerned with firearms and to NOT carry until she has a better understanding of laws so shes better off. She thanked me along with her parents and asked if I was some kind of law enforcement and I of course said no. I gave them several sites using my ANDROID phone on what they can read up on for Missouri laws with firearms.

This post is a "let off some steam" kind of post but also I felt great as a gun owner informing her of her incorrect information that she received from a LEO and where she can turn to for help on getting correction information. This is exactly why I feel the need to go to the press on this and get media attention on how not knowing the correct information can get you in trouble even if a LEO did state this info to you directly. Last note here....

Law Enforcement Officers should be constantly checking laws on items that they are not sure of so they are informed. Just seems like far too many officers are being lazy on the job and not keeping themselves up to date. Which is causing a lot of issues with the public.

Not really sure how to mark this post as its a mixed post of complaining about a LEO who spoke incorrect legal information towards someone about there own state concerning with gun laws. But then again I feel great with passing knowledge down to others.

Last edited:

Ballistic Penguin

umm I'm pretty sure you DON'T need a permit to carry in your car in the state of MO.

"571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or

(10) Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.

Subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply to any person twenty-one years of age or older transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed,
nor when the actor is also in possession of an exposed firearm or projectile weapon for the lawful pursuit of game, or is in his or her dwelling unit or upon premises over which the actor has possession, authority or control, or is traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state. Subdivision (10) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply if the firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed by a person while traversing school premises for the purposes of transporting a student to or from school, or possessed by an adult for the purposes of facilitation of a school-sanctioned firearm-related event."

Marc

Wow dude, you are misinformed and need to read missouri gun laws. That LEO was 100% correct. When we got concealed carry in MO that was part of the package. No permit required if u are in ur vehicle or on your property.

Tony4310

That officer was right. You can legally carry a loaded firearm concealed in your car with no permit required in Missouri.

The MO Police Officer was telling the lady the truth about MO car carry. But if the subject was a resident of KS that might be a different story. Were they talking about car cary in MO or KS. You didn't say which state in your post.

Once again I had to regular shooter at the bullet hole who was apparently told by a MO Police Officer that she can carry a loaded firearm in her car without having the need for a permit. This is exactly why I feel the need to go to the News press and get the public's attention on how a lot of incorrect information is being passed around by our own "Law Enforcement Officers". I do not understand how this many officers have very little knowledge of their own city/county when it comes to weapon laws. Now I may be blowing this out of proportion but I did ask her "The officer did tell you that you can carry a loaded firearm in your car with no permit?" Her response was yes as she even herself asked the officer two times to verify the answer coming from the officer.

I informed her that she has to have a permit to carry loaded in the car as that is considered concealed when the weapon is inside the vehicle. She argued with stating that the officer told her this information and pretty much anything that comes out of a LEO mouth is true. Once again I had to inform her of the many complaints against LEO's for not knowing the correct information of there own laws. I gave her this site as a means of resource for getting better knowledge and ask questions if she has any concerns. Also told her to look up "Missouri Laws" concerned with firearms and to NOT carry until she has a better understanding of laws so shes better off. She thanked me along with her parents and asked if I was some kind of law enforcement and I of course said no. I gave them several sites using my ANDROID phone on what they can read up on for Missouri laws with firearms.

This post is a "let off some steam" kind of post but also I felt great as a gun owner informing her of her incorrect information that she received from a LEO and where she can turn to for help on getting correction information. This is exactly why I feel the need to go to the press on this and get media attention on how not knowing the correct information can get you in trouble even if a LEO did state this info to you directly. Last note here....

Law Enforcement Officers should be constantly checking laws on items that they are not sure of so they are informed. Just seems like far too many officers are being lazy on the job and not keeping themselves up to date. Which is causing a lot of issues with the public.

Not really sure how to mark this post as its a mixed post of complaining about a LEO who spoke incorrect legal information towards someone about there own state concerning with gun laws. But then again I feel great with passing knowledge down to others.

Last edited:

John3

This is covered when the CCW was made law in Missouri. Missouri even flew home a House Rep from the war to make sure CCW would pass in 2004!!!

Also covered:
Vehicle = Home = Castle Doctrine...

2) Such force is used against a person who unlawfully enters, remains after unlawfully entering, or attempts to unlawfully enter a dwelling, residence, or vehicle lawfully occupied by such person.

3. A person does not have a duty to retreat from a dwelling, residence, or vehicle where the person is not unlawfully entering or unlawfully remaining.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Yep a Kansas vs Missouri mistake

Most likely the case.

I do not know KS law well enough to know for sure. I know they do not accept OOS permits unless the OOS is indeed your resident state aka a Utah permit might be good in KS if you are a resident of UT but if you are a MO resident with a UT permit it is no good in KS.

Or I should say that is how it WAS when they first started their CCH program, note CCH aka concealed carry HANDGUN not weapon. There could be other issues such as knife carry or various other weapons that would not be covered under a CCH law that are covered under a CCW law like Missouri has, some of the KC folks might be much better schooled as they may travel both and know them.

That is the main point, know the laws where you are going and here in MO, if you can legally have it, you can CONCEAL it in a car, but it MUST be concealed or you might be violating an open carry ordinace.

DWCook

Activist Member
then how in the hell did I get an Illegal Carry hit in Missouri?????? Before I got my permit I got reamed at by a Sergeant for carrying in the car a loaded .45. Well I guess I need to stay in my own state then. My bad for looking like a pissed off 3 year old annoying *****!

DWCook

Activist Member
going to try and stay off this forum for a while now since i made a complete ass of myself on this thread with thinking on Missouri laws. Hate embarrassing myself on a internet site as information travels around so I am going to stay off, considering probably got a lot of members here thinking against me. Later all!

She is a Kansas resident working in Missouri.

But knowing some members here on this forum will still think negative on this post I am staying off for a while.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
going to try and stay off this forum for a while now since i made a complete ass of myself on this thread with thinking on Missouri laws. Hate embarrassing myself on a internet site as information travels around so I am going to stay off, considering probably got a lot of members here thinking against me. Later all!

But knowing some members here on this forum will still think negative on this post I am staying off for a while.

No reason for that, very few knew the laws of missouri before visiting a missouri forum just as I do not know them for Kansas.

The officer may have "seen" your gun which would have been an "open carry" violation if it could be seen from more than one angle.

That is why I capitalized CONCEALED in the car aka can not be seen. Under the seat, laying in the seat and covered but it can not be visable if you are in an open carry restricted municipality.

I do not know the parameters of your case but think nothing less of you for not knowing the laws of a state you do not reside in, that would be like me saying if you do not know what color pants I have on your dumb, its just stupid to think such things. I have no idea of the laws of Hawaii or Minnesota etc, I have not visited them so I have had no reason to look them up.

DWCook

Activist Member
I just have passed experience from other forums that one mistake you get treated like a total moron and such. So I assume that here in a way, just from reading other threads with members being a bit more out spoken than should.

Richieg150

Hey, dont sweat the small stuff. Everyone has said something, not quite sure about, and regretted later, no biggie.....Live and learn, your never to old or smart for that! If I left because of something I said , that I thought I was right on, and found out I was mistaken........I would probably be gone for a VERY long time............There are many experts on this site I'm sure of that, that love to come down on someone for not telling something or stateing something not exactly correct with every t crossed and every i dotted, thats their deal, but dont get discouraged and leave because of that.....nobody is perfect or knows everything correcly all the time about every issue....you were mistaken, you were set straight, we all learned from it......life goes on....and I'm NOT saying those who responded were experts or coming down on you, it was just used as an example.:)

Freedom 1st

I just have passed experience from other forums that one mistake you get treated like a total moron and such. So I assume that here in a way, just from reading other threads with members being a bit more out spoken than should.

No need to go away, we're actually pretty neighborly on this side of the line.
No harm, no foul. It is not your fault we have better gun laws than Kansas. LOL. Sorry just kiddin. I have no idea what the laws in Kansas are. And I should. I used to drive to Ft Riley weekly to work.

Your right on one account though. The ones trusted to enforce the law, should KNOW the law. If you were charged, and convicted or plead guilty I would say: You got the shaft. Depending on time frame and circumstance of course.

Festus_Hagen

It happens from time to time. Just grow a little thicker skin and give it time. :)

Morpheus97

LOL. Yes, you kind of did but I respect you for listening to the people on this site who are knowledgeable on MO laws and changing your stance. No need to stay away from the forums, we've all said things that we later regretted whether it was on this forum or somewhere else. If I avoided everyone that I said something stupid to I would be living a very lonely life. Just a friendly word of advice... posting a question about the laws or doing research first is better than a strongly worded, inaccurate post.

Jim40Cal

Don't worry. The first thing I did when I came on here was started talking about what a cop had told me and believe me I heard about it. I almost decided to quit also but soon learned alot about Open carry that I never would have known. I still don't know alot but everyday I learn something new. hang in there, we need you...

DWCook

Activist Member
Thanks guys I still feel horrible for stating something not true and being a bit dumb. I just hate being that one guy who everyone frowns upon of every time something stupid comes up and then fingers point. I actually thought I was going to get blasted on here for making a false statement and not knowing the actual information and not what I thought was true. Sheesh now I am going to study and research Missouri laws like my life depended on it so this never happens again. Well at least I hope it doesn't.

Ballistic Penguin

Thanks guys I still feel horrible for stating something not true and being a bit dumb. I just hate being that one guy who everyone frowns upon of every time something stupid comes up and then fingers point. I actually thought I was going to get blasted on here for making a false statement and not knowing the actual information and not what I thought was true. Sheesh now I am going to study and research Missouri laws like my life depended on it so this never happens again. Well at least I hope it doesn't.

don't be so hard on yourself dude! lord knows we all aren't! trust me i am probably the LEAST knowledgeable here. As far as I am concerned i am here to learn just as I am sure you are too! Sorry if i sounded harsh in the correction. You can be assured NO ill will was intended from me. I for one am glad that I could get you up to speed as I am sure that one day you can do the same for me! Sorry for the misunderstanding!