• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This needs attention

awnuts

Found out on our local OC group today. If you do a Facebook search of, "when you see open carry call 911" you get a new page telling everyone that joins needs to call a cop if they see OC and tell the cops the person carrying is threatening people with a gun. We need to nip this attack in the bud. Cant seem to find out where this FB group originates and the local OC folks might be real concerned if this is in their backyard.

Ok it was there now not coming up. I'm sorry it could of been a troll but theres other places they came up in the search outside of FB

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Probably wouldn't hurt to alert LE that somebody is recommending a serious misdemeanor (false report to police).

On the other hand, I wouldn't sweat it too much unless you know cops in your area just itching for any excuse. Part of cops' game is affected by something called indicia of reliability. Indicia are signs or indicators, in this case, of reliability of the informant.

If a 911 caller makes the report anonymously, his reliability (credibility) for 4th Amendment purposes suffers.

See Florida vs JR for more (JR was a juvenile at the time of his arrest, so his name was converted into initials.)

eye95

Someone who has facebook (I won't do it) should report it to them. Their TOS probably surely does not allow posts that advocate for breaking the law, which that posting does.

This is also why I warn carriers not to assume that the officer does not have RAS. The totality of the circumstances, which could include false 991 calls, might create RAS where you are convinced there is none.

Determine if you are free to go. If you are not, behave as though the stop is lawful. If it is unlawful, deal with that later, when that unlawfulness can be determined with certainty.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Someone who has facebook (I won't do it) should report it to them. Their TOS probably surely does not allow posts that advocate for breaking the law, which that posting does.

From the story, it seems FB does not care a whit about the possibility that it may be the vechicle for proposing illegal activity of this nature.

Which is but another reason why I refuse to have anything to do with FB.

This is also why I warn carriers not to assume that the officer does not have RAS. The totality of the circumstances, which could include false 991 calls, might create RAS where you are convinced there is none.

Determine if you are free to go. If you are not, behave as though the stop is lawful. If it is unlawful, deal with that later, when that unlawfulness can be determined with certainty.

While it seems to be a prevalent desire to argue points of law on the street with the police officer, history and experience show us that doing so is a very dangerous proposition. The place to argue point of law is in the courtroom, where you rarely run the risk of additional injury and insult being inflicted in resolving a dispute over who is more powerful.

While it would be preferable not to have been the subject of a malicious and untruthful attack by some possibly anonymous source, it certainly is preferable to avoid irritating an individual who already believes they have reason to be afraid that you pose a threat to their safety and their ability to return home safely at the end of the day.

stay safe.

awnuts

From the story, it seems FB does not care a whit about the possibility that it may be the vechicle for proposing illegal activity of this nature.

Which is but another reason why I refuse to have anything to do with FB.

While it seems to be a prevalent desire to argue points of law on the street with the police officer, history and experience show us that doing so is a very dangerous proposition. The place to argue point of law is in the courtroom, where you rarely run the risk of additional injury and insult being inflicted in resolving a dispute over who is more powerful.

While it would be preferable not to have been the subject of a malicious and untruthful attack by some possibly anonymous source, it certainly is preferable to avoid irritating an individual who already believes they have reason to be afraid that you pose a threat to their safety and their ability to return home safely at the end of the day.

stay safe.

As of last night I know of a couple of people that reported this to FB. The reply from FB was they deemed the page not harassing nor offensive so not in violation of TOS.

eye95

What does it matter that it is not harassing or offensive? The post encourages the breaking of the law.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

slowfiveoh

As of last night I know of a couple of people that reported this to FB. The reply from FB was they deemed the page not harassing nor offensive so not in violation of TOS.

An individual with legal credulity and truth be told, the full weight and force of an organization such as SAF or OCDO, would need to write an official letter to their customer service department outlining why this is a very bad idea would be necessary to even get their attention.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Probably wouldn't hurt to alert LE that somebody is recommending a serious misdemeanor (false report to police).

Might be a good link to pass on to officer.com, your local police department or sheriff's office, and the FBI. If I'm not mistaken, making false reports to law federal law enforcement is federal crime, and I'm fairly certain encouraging, enticing, or perhaps "inciting" others to do the same is similarly on their "no-no" list. In fact, I do recall a briefing along those lines.

As far as Facebook itself, they're not going to do anything.

Last edited:

arizonaopa

My message to facebook

After reading the postings on facebook (on my daughters account) I sent a complaint to FB. In addition to pointing out to them that the posting was advocating illegal activity, I mentioned that my conversation with the family lawyer revealed that I would be able to sue FB for their complicity if I was ever approached by the police because of such a complaint and I was able to find out the person who called. I support LEO since my parents were deputies, but they both believe that false calls like those were a detriment to society.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

more time testing

does anybody really know what time it is??

you made your post at 1:sompin standard time in conneticut

I made my post at 1:sompin daylight time in washington
then I made a edit at what should be standard time here
but the forum hasnt updated the time yet

Last edited: