• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just an idea:

~*'Phoenix'*~

Just an idea:
I know dang well we all want real OC by next year and we're gonna fight tooth-and-nail to get it, but if there's no way for it to happen with our current Senate, do you think we could get them to expand the current list of exemptions, "fishing, camping, or legal hunting," a step in the right direction, to something more like "fishing, camping, hiking, boating, or legal hunting, and bicycling/riding ATVs in state or national forests and parks"?

Japle

Several months ago, I was talking to one of Thad Altman’s legislative assistants . I didn’t get a definite timeline, but I got the idea that the plan to get OC in Florida runs something like this:

Step 1. Pass open carry of handguns for CCW holders.
Step 2. When the sky doesn’t fall, pass open of handguns carry for all law-abiding citizens.
Step 3. When the sky doesn’t fall, pass open carry of long guns for all law-abiding citizens.

I’d expect this to take at least 3-5 years, but a SCOTUS decision might speed things up.

The hard fact is that going from where we are now to what I believe the Framers intended - open carry of any weapon an ordinary infantryman would carry - is going to have to be done in stages. I'd love to see it done in one step, but that's not a political reality.

~*'Phoenix'*~

Rich just said something about working on expanding the OC-legal list like I mentioned. Good to know I'm in company that keeps up with or exceeds me in the alternate-thinking department :D
Whatever it is, we've gotta get something through them each year.

Perhaps we can make a point that banning OC and charging what amounts to a rights-tax for CC licensing is unconstitutional, and make them choose between money and "look, no guns!"?
I suppose, awful as it is, that they could constitutionally ban OC because of the crappy wording in Florida's watered-down RKBA article, but to do that and charge for the only remaining right is breaking their own rules...

Last edited:

~*'Phoenix'*~

How could we go about changning the Florida Constitution's watery RKBA to match the wording of the U.S. 2nd Amendment, and give our fight a little more teeth?

77zach

Sean is writing next year's OC bill now. I'll work for whatever he has planned. This year was 1 vote short of licensed OC anywhere you can CC. I don't mind the idea of a modest timeline, but we really need licensed OC by the end of Scott's first term. With all the bad that is going on with the economy the electorate is thrashing back and forth between the two parties hoping one of them will "fix" it. If you get an anti in the governor's office we can kiss OC goodbye for at least a 4 year stint. . So let's assume we have a maximum of 3 more sessions to do it in and do as much as we can for the movement in 2011-2012.

Constitutional carry will only come once licensed OC is here and more states do it. Looks like it's catching on in the freer states already.

Oh, and root for Texas. The best thing that can happen outside of our state this year is for TX to successfully tack on their licensed OC to other legislation and get it passed.

77zach

How could we go about changning the Florida Constitution's watery RKBA to match the wording of the U.S. 2nd Amendment, and give our fight a little more teeth?

It wasn't written by a freedom lover, for sure. But, it may not need to be changed. I think regulating the "manner" of bearing arms means 790.10, or saying you have to carry in a holster, etc.

What the constitution really says right now is "the right to bear arms shall not be infringed, except that bearing them concealed is a privilege and bearing them openly is banned."

But most judges are "Party Members" like in the novel 1984. Remember when O'Brien is teaching Winston that 2+2=5? In the same way, the supreme court of Fl would sit there with a straight face and tell you, eloquently, that current law conforms nicely with the state constitution.

~*'Phoenix'*~

This year was 1 vote short of licensed OC anywhere you can CC.

That freakin' sucks... I wish they would have just said "screw that!" to Bogdanoff's amendment and voted and let it die instead, so we knew for sure who we had to replace.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
That freakin' sucks... I wish they would have just said "screw that!" to Bogdanoff's amendment and voted and let it die instead, so we knew for sure who we had to replace.

Which is precisely why they didn't do it.

Instead, they changed it enough to wipe away all precedent on currently law, while adding subjectivity to ensure prosecution for accidental exposure instead of protection from it. Before this, there was precedent protecting us. Now, it's whatever the cops feel like putting in their report.

Ambiguity and subjectivity are NEVER used to the Victim's/Citizens' advantage. Any time such a thing exists in statute, LEOs abuse it. Always.

Rich7553

Rich just said something about working on expanding the OC-legal list like I mentioned. Good to know I'm in company that keeps up with or exceeds me in the alternate-thinking department :D
Whatever it is, we've gotta get something through them each year.

Perhaps we can make a point that banning OC and charging what amounts to a rights-tax for CC licensing is unconstitutional, and make them choose between money and "look, no guns!"?
I suppose, awful as it is, that they could constitutionally ban OC because of the crappy wording in Florida's watered-down RKBA article, but to do that and charge for the only remaining right is breaking their own rules...

Correct sir! The draft is in the works right now and will be submitted next cycle.

jammer

Senator Haridopolos,

Senator Haridopolos, WANTS TO BE YOUR NEXT (US SENATOR IN THE NEXT ELECTION) HOW ABOUT THAT!!

jammer

Senator Haridopolos

Senator Haridopolos, WANTS TO BE YOUR NEXT (US SENATOR IN THE NEXT ELECTION) HOW ABOUT THAT!!

Rich7553

So we've already conceded full, licensed OC is dead next year too?

Given that there is no election of legislators prior to November 2012, it's a sure bet that we would get either the same or less support for OC in the coming legislative session. Remember, it took seven years to get shall-issue concealed carry through.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Remember, it took seven years to get shall-issue concealed carry through.

...which was obtained by eliminating Licensed OC. Why? Because it might scare douche-bags. And the LEOs made all the same arguments against it then as they make for it now...

Stick a fork in Floriduh. It's done. I'm all for a futile cause just because it's the right thing to do. But life is short and I want to be a free man before I die.

Time to GTFO.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
An honest examination of the environment that Floriduh is, shows us that this was probably our only chance and it has passed us by.

I'm gonna miss the springs, rivers, 300 year old oak trees, smoked mullet, boiled not-so-cajun peanuts, and the lack of compulsory motorcycle insurance...

I really wanted this. :-( But Sonora Rebel made the same trade and he says he never looked back. I'll take his word over a room full of Floriduh Politicians any day. In fact, I've offended myself for even mentioning the two in the same paragraph and must now slap myself.

j4l

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
It wasn't written by a freedom lover, for sure. But, it may not need to be changed. I think regulating the "manner" of bearing arms means 790.10, or saying you have to carry in a holster, etc.

What the constitution really says right now is "the right to bear arms shall not be infringed, except that bearing them concealed is a privilege and bearing them openly is banned."

But most judges are "Party Members" like in the novel 1984. Remember when O'Brien is teaching Winston that 2+2=5? In the same way, the supreme court of Fl would sit there with a straight face and tell you, eloquently, that current law conforms nicely with the state constitution.

The way SOCUS has been going is very much in the right direction, when it comes to gun rights. It's slow, of course, like everything in the legal system, but the Heller (DC) and Mcdonald (Chi-town) cases are definitely steps in the right direction.

What I mean is: the stooges in this issue are in our own backyard, not in the US Supreme Court.

Though Alito left some open space for the existence of gun laws (felons, children, etc.), the right of folks to defend themselves with guns is now sacrosanct case law (incorporated to the states by the 14th amendment).

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
...which was obtained by eliminating Licensed OC. Why? Because it might scare douche-bags. And the LEOs made all the same arguments against it then as they make for it now...

Stick a fork in Floriduh. It's done. I'm all for a futile cause just because it's the right thing to do. But life is short and I want to be a free man before I die.

Time to GTFO.

Let the gas prices keep rising; let the middle east keep getting hotter; let the president continue to differ from his state department; let the folks get angrier at the economic situation. This bubbling cauldron will make you a free man in Florida by 2012. The next election cycle is going to be massive.