• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.38spl & .357mag in long guns

Jake8x7

Activist Member
Sorry if this might be common knowledge, but do rifles chambered in .357 mag also take .38spl?

Jake8x7

Marco

Sorry if this might be common knowledge, but do rifles chambered in .357 mag also take .38spl?

Jake8x7
I have experience with the Marlin and Rossi lever guns chambered in .357mag and they both fire .38spl and .357mag without issue.

09jisaac

Jake8x7

Usually. But I have came across a new model gun that was stamped ".357 mag only". It was a winchester or marlin. I believe it would have shot a .38 spl no problem.

Jake8x7

Activist Member
Usually. But I have came across a new model gun that was stamped ".357 mag only". It was a winchester or marlin. I believe it would have shot a .38 spl no problem.

Let's just say that I've been wondering that if I walk into a Walmart store and attempt to purchase .38spl ammo, will they agree that it can be used in rifles as well as handguns (making them 18+ FFL rifle ammo) :D? Being able to buy .38spl from an FFL would make it so much easier than private party...

Jake8x7

Last edited:

09jisaac

Let's just say that I've been wondering that if I walk into a Walmart store and attempt to purchase .38spl ammo, will they agree that it can be used in rifles as well as handguns (making them 18+ FFL rifle ammo) :D? Being able to buy .38spl from an FFL would make it so much easier than private party...

Jake8x7

Walmart? Probably not, it is common knowledge that 9mm is also a carbine round and they wouldn't sale me any of that.

Jake8x7

Activist Member
Walmart? Probably not, it is common knowledge that 9mm is also a carbine round and they wouldn't sale me any of that.

Do you think we can buy it online? I know interstate firearm trades require an FFL, but what about ammunition? I visited a few of the first sites that appear on google for ".38 special ammunition for sale" and most of them say 18+ (not 21) to buy.

Jake8x7

Jake8x7

Activist Member
UPDATE: went to my local Bass Pro Shop....I purchased a 130$ beeman .22 air powered hunting rifle, 50 .22 win mag, and 50 .38spl ammo...AND THEY DIDNT ID ME. I could have been 17 easy. Most people would say so what who cares but weve been having problems with Spanish gangs with teens and 20s so I called my local law enforcement but they didnt seem to care lol...all you can do is try.

Jake8x7

09jisaac

UPDATE: went to my local Bass Pro Shop....I purchased a 130$ beeman .22 air powered hunting rifle, 50 .22 win mag, and 50 .38spl ammo...AND THEY DIDNT ID ME. I could have been 17 easy. Most people would say so what who cares but weve been having problems with Spanish gangs with teens and 20s so I called my local law enforcement but they didnt seem to care lol...all you can do is try.

Jake8x7

So let me get this straight, you went in and bought .38 ammo like you wanted so you called the cops because they didn't card you? Legally even an FFL dealer can sell you ammo if they have reason to suspect that you are going to be using it in a long gun (ie you tell them you are going to or you don't tell them you're going to shoot it in a handgun).

Jake, you'll soon learn that in the real world you don't get "bonus points" for being a snitch. If it is hurting exactly NO ONE, why start ****?

You cannot stop anyone who wants to do something illegal from doing something illegal.

protias

There are several rifles that shoot .45ACP as well. Of course, there are pistols that shoot .223 and 7.62x39.

"On a scale of 1 to 10, people are idiots."