• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help get HB700 out of Committee

zekester

I have called every person on the committee

I had one no vote...but he said he will vote yes to get it to the floor..

WRITE , CALL ...WHATEVER TO PICKETT....NOW!!!!!

No holster restrictions as of now......

Last edited:

zekester

Just got off the phone with Pickett

If we do not overwhelm this guy with phone calls and the like...it will never happen.....JMO

I will continue to put the pressure on.....but...without your help.....this is so dead!!

z

Last edited:

mustangkiller

Please explain this a little further. Why does Pickett need to be called? Is he the only one who can make this move forward? Talk to me like I'm five years old please. I'm still learning the ins and outs of this process

jblosser

It is not tabled, it was left pending, but regardless yes, Pickett and only Pickett still has to schedule it again so it can get a vote and get out to the floor.

The Texas Lege process puts a lot of hands in a very few all the way up until it hits the floor, if it hits the floor.

1) Bills are always sent to a committee first, where the committee chair alone has all the power to decide if it gets a committee hearing and vote. If he doesn't allow a hearing or vote, the bill is dead.
2) If a bill doesn't die there, it goes out to the calendar committee, where that chair also has all the power. Calenders has to schedule a bill for a full House hearing. If they don't, the bill is dead.
3) Only when it gets out on the Calendar does the entire 150 member House look at the bill (twice) and vote on it (twice).

Lots of members will play the game of supporting bills early on and putting their name on them all the while hoping they never actually have to vote on them.

tejasx

Campaign Veteran

jbozz300

Just emailed Rep. Pickett asking for him to allow for HB700 to come up for a vote and be pushed out of committee.:)

Vurtle

That was easy. Just called the phone number and asked that HB700 be put up for a vote. Less than two minutes of my time.

Rogue Warrior

I've called...

and it appears that H.B. 700 is not on the agenda for this Thursday. The chairman is reported to want to give the series of bills (campus carry & so on) more time to be discussed. Hopefully, it will bet on the agenda for Thursday next week so keep those calls and emails going and urge your friends to do the same.

zekester

Just my opinion.....but after my conversation with the office of Rep. Pickett, if we do not flood this gentleman with phone calls, fax and emails.....HB700 is as dead as rain is in south Texas.

Last edited:

canvasbck

I just got off the phone with Mary Ann and told her that I was urging Representative Pickett to hold a vote on HB700. She replied that there were a number of "related bills" that needed to be debated before a vote was taken on HB700. I asked her if she was referring to HB1194 by Paddie. She stated that it was, and she sounded as if she was ready to get me off the phone. I stated that I wasn't really in support of HB1194 but wanted her to pass on to Rep Pickett my desire to see a vote on HB700, she suddenly perked up and asked why I didn't support Paddie's bill, but was supporting Lavender's. I informed her that I liked the idea of a seperate 30.07 sign for OC and 30.06 being left alone for CC. Later on in our conversation, she wouldn't reveal if it was positive or negative, but she did let me know that HB700 was getting the most phone traffic..........................KEEP IT UP FOLKS!!!!!

I know a lot of folks on here have been frustrated with the NRA and TSRA for not actively supporting OC in past sessions. The political reality is that pro gun legislation needs the support of those organizations to get passed. Both organizations have gotten on board with the committee substitute for HB700. Any bill that amends 30.06, like HB1194 does, will not get the support of the NRA or TSRA. It's time for all of us to get behind HB700!! It has the broadest support, and thus far hasn't seen much opposition.

canvasbck

I also sent the following to Rep Pickett

Sir, I am a lifelong Texan and a regular voter as well as a supporter of political campaigns. I am a supporter of the second amendment and as such, I am urging you to bring to a vote the committee substitute for HB700 at the earliest time possible. Please allow this expansion if individual rights to get out of committee in a timely manner to allow a debate and vote on this in the full house.

As you know, Texas has a proud heritage that includes firearms. It is embarassing to be one of only a handful of states that differentiates a legally carried firearm and an illegally carried firearm based on the presence or absence of a peice of cloth.

Thank you in advance for your consideration. I appreciate the opportunity to communicate directly with lawmakers in our state.

jordanmills

sent to pickett
I am not in your district and am writing you in your capacity as chair of
the Homeland Security & Public Safety committee.

I urge you to ensure that the committee substitute of HB700 by Rep Lavender
is given high priority in committee vote to be heard on the floor. I am
strongly in favor of this bill now that the retention holster requirement
has been removed and the changes relating to 30.06 and 30.07 have been
included. While I am also in favor of passage of HB1194 by Paddie, I
believe HB700 is far more important.

Of course recovering our rights to have an effective means of self defense
in what are currently "designated victim zones" is also of great importance
and bills such as HB706 and especially HB972 should be given similar
priority.

Thanks,

Charlie47

Help get HB700 out of committee

Just made my phone call, took me all of 3 minutes. Mary Ann was very nice to talk to.

Britt

I called, Mary Ann was in a meeting, I did talk to a young man and asked him to convey
that it was HB700 that was the preferred bill, and I would like for HB700 to come up for vote!:exclaim:
Kind Regards,
Charlie47

Last edited: