• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Rep. Speaks Out Following 3-Year-Old’s Death

G22

I posted this at MGO and realized that some here may not go on that forum, so here ya go:

She also believes we need to rethink gun laws, like open carry.

“I think a whole lot of things send bad messages to kids and that’s just one of them,” Stapleton added. “We need to reinvest in the basic moral fiber that all of us grew up with. And, that wasn’t carrying guns just, you know, out in the open.”

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/07/12/state-rep-speaks-out-following-3-year-olds-death/

State Rep. Maureen Stapleton:

Office Address
S588 House Office Building

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514

Phone: (517) 373-1008
Fax: (517) 373-5995

Toll-Free
(855) 782-7304

Email
maureenstapleton@house.mi.gov

scot623

Representative Stapleton, I am interested in discussing your recent quote referencing the open carry of firearms.

Quote:
“I think a whole lot of things send bad messages to kids and that’s just one of them,” Stapleton added. “We need to reinvest in the basic moral fiber that all of us grew up with. And, that wasn’t carrying guns just, you know, out in the open.”

This quote seems to indicate you would like to enact legislation that would ban the open carry of firearms in Michigan.*If this is the case, as a leader of a state wide organization created to promote open carry, *I would like the opportunity engage you in a civil discussion on the the topic.

If I am misunderstanding your statement, please reply with a correction so I can relay the true meaning of your statement to my members.*

Thank you for your time.*
Rob Harris
Vice President
Michigan Open Carry
www.miopencarry.org
586-913-1661

dukenukum

open carry sends the message to our kids that they don't have to be victims waiting for the government to protect them.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Representative Stapleton, I am interested in discussing your recent quote referencing the open carry of firearms.

Quote:

This quote seems to indicate you would like to enact legislation that would ban the open carry of firearms in Michigan.*If this is the case, as a leader of a state wide organization created to promote open carry, *I would like the opportunity engage you in a civil discussion on the the topic.

If I am misunderstanding your statement, please reply with a correction so I can relay the true meaning of your statement to my members.*

Thank you for your time.*
Rob Harris
Vice President
Michigan Open Carry
www.miopencarry.org
586-913-1661

I would be interested in hearing about the "logical leaps" she is making where the illegal use of a firearm somehow translates to the lawful carry of a firearm.

G22

Her live interview on Fox2, she also said that she has seen fellow members of the Michigan house OC in the State Building, and it upsets her.

Well, her irrational fear of legally carried firearms "upset's ME"... So were even!

Mitchell

Well, her irrational fear of legally carried firearms "upset's ME"... So were even!

That may be, but, that is why is paid my dues. It is to help this group to offset these silly people. To help people who are more articulate than I step up and communicate that we are not the bad guy.

usamarshal

Wow....that was pretty Busch League stuff right there...some girl gets shot by a drive by and shes talking about open carry?....wtf?...haha...Are the people in Detroit that retarded to elect fruit cakes like this? I bet if I got elected mayor in Detroit I could have strippers come to my mansion every night and nobody would think twice about it....haha

TheQ

Wow....that was pretty Busch League stuff right there...some girl gets shot by a drive by and shes talking about open carry?....wtf?...haha...Are the people in Detroit that retarded to elect fruit cakes like this? I bet if I got elected mayor in Detroit I could have strippers come to my mansion every night and nobody would think twice about it....haha

Not sure if she is of "Detroit" -- but recall those people elected Kwame and if the state constitution allowed them, they'd elect him again.

eastmeyers

Not sure if she is of "Detroit" -- but recall those people elected Kwame and if the state constitution allowed them, they'd elect him again.
She is, the 3yo that was killed, the shooting happened in "her district". I am going to go look for the video now.
ETA: Couldn't find it, searched and searched, found two other video's on the site, but not the one interviewing Rep. Maureen Stapleton.

Last edited:

Onnie

If that's the case maybe she should find a different place to live as freedom does not suit her.

I can think ok a few places she can live where OC is not legal, Illinois comes to mind....
Maryland is another!

Bye-Bye....See Ya..Dont let the door of freedom pop you in the backside!:shocker:

Onnie

Except maybe a jealous wife who maybe would have her bodyguards (@ city expense) teach her a lesson and take her to a suburban hospital!

CoonDog

open carry sends the message to our kids that they don't have to be victims waiting for the government to protect them.
Well said.

Duke Nukem: "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum."

Duke Nukem: "I don't know who you are, where you're from, or what you want... but if you threaten my freedom, I'll kill you."

Hail to the King, baby!