• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesapeake LEOs with Cameras

USNA69

Interesting article in Monday's Virginian-Pilot.

http://epilot.hamptonroads.com/OLIV...pageno=MTM.&entity=QXIwMTMwMg..&view=ZW50aXR5

GetContent.asp

Will be interesting to learn if the video files are archived and subject to FOIA.

If the LEOs can use them as evidence to rebut accusations of wrongdoing, it sure seems like citizens should be able to use them for the same purpose.

ManInBlack

Will be interesting to learn if the video files are archived and subject to FOIA.

I have no doubt they will be unless, of course, a citizen tries to access them, in which case they will have been "accidentally deleted" or the officer will have "forgotten to turn the camera on."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have no doubt they will be unless, of course, a citizen tries to access them, in which case they will have been "accidentally deleted" or the officer will have "forgotten to turn the camera on."

Look here http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?92437-Is-the-Contact-card-database-legal and see why those "excuses" are going to have some difficulty getting off the ground.

Of course there is the question to be answered: are the cops up to date on the record retention regs and that the video from these cameras falls under the requirements?

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Last edited:

Blk97F150

Peter did you ever get a direct answer regarding that video? I know they dodged your questions during the VCDL meeting in Richmond a couple months ago.... :uhoh:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter did you ever get a direct answer regarding that video? I know they dodged your questions during the VCDL meeting in Richmond a couple months ago.... :uhoh:

The direct answer is it was never reported to 911.

After a little digging....Officer #1, the one with the Taser drove by and saw a group of armed men. Several minutes later an unidentified woman (The fellow who was arrest's wife)
called and said that no account husband of mine who owes me child support, is working there.

Cops #2 & 3 responded.

Cop #1 hears the call and decides to keep the animals at bay for #'s 2&3.

When he realizes he is either being filmed or the animals are tame (Probably both), he assists with the arrest.

Administration was not happy.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks for the update.

Did the Administration ever concede that pulling the Taser in the first place was inapropriate?

They are completely silent about it but I think I made my point.

Last edited:

Thundar

sparkman2

Interesting article in Monday's Virginian-Pilot.

http://epilot.hamptonroads.com/OLIV...pageno=MTM.&entity=QXIwMTMwMg..&view=ZW50aXR5

GetContent.asp

If the LEOs can use them as evidence to rebut accusations of wrongdoing, it sure seems like citizens should be able to use them for the same purpose.
Do we have the right to video tape them for the same reason? I mean there is a consent law that one party must give permission and if I am taping then I give permission right?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Do we have the right to video tape them for the same reason? I mean there is a consent law that one party must give permission and if I am taping then I give permission right?

SCOTUS has several decisions stating that police have no expectation of privacy when performing their public duty in public. (Sorry, no cite as I'm just plain lazy.) The cops do sometimes become cranky when they see that they are being videoed, but even the departments with the most egregious offenders seem to be getting the word that they cannot arrest you for obstructing or interfering for merely videoing.

I'll let our esteemed Handsome Videographer weigh in on the legal, moral and ethical issues of sharing your video with the police, as he's had some exciting experiences along those lines.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There are really two issues, the audio and the video.
Video is legal anywhere in the country as long as it's not somewhere that would be considered intensely private. Your home, a restroom or dressing room are examples of intensely private areas.

Audio is different in every state although the courts are beginning to combine the two where the recording media is video with an audio track.
In Virginia, in public places, if you can hear it, you can record it. If you use an electronic method of intercepting the conversation such as over the phone, you must be a party to or have the consent of a party to, the conversation.

Most Police are at least generally versed with the laws now because they do it too. They can get nasty sometimes and demand you turn it off. That's up to you, I never do...absolutely never.
I was videoing Skidmark and Grapeshot in Ashland with an Ashland cop who was putting on his best good guy act for the camera. After a while he looked at me and said "You have enough yet" I said "Why, you gonna do something you don't want on the news"?

A couple of months ago I videoed a Richmond Cop dragging an unconscious man (probably drunk) while they were waiting for the rescue squad. He got mad and demanded I turn it off. I just said "Not a chance"...Then he demanded ID. With the camera running I said No. He said "Oh yeah, why not?" My reply "Because I don't have to show ID and there isn't anything you can do about it".

He pulled out his phone and videoed me for a few seconds then stomped back to the fellow on the sidewalk.
A few weeks later I gave the video to a Lt. with the department who was real unhappy to see his officer dragging the man around.

To sum it up. There is no privacy in public, not for you, me or the cops.