• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

After Wave Of Violence, Councilman Wants Gas Station Security

PDinDetroit

TheQ

*facepalm*

This council member needs to learn to shut up and keep his not so bright ideas to himself.

Did anyone else notice this council member's name is Kwame K.?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:

cmdr_iceman71

As a Security Officer I would hope they are ARMED and not made into defensless targets like so many in my profession are.

+1

Clearly this idiot councilman either failed basic economics or worse doesn’t care about the costs the gas station owner would have to shoulder in order to provide security. They only make roughly 2-3 cents of profit per gallon sold. To hire a guard for even 12hrs a day or for 24-7 coverage would make the cost of gas comparatively skyrocket.

And exactly what would patrons be getting? Not much more than what a security camera already provides, which is to observe and report. The guard could serve as a visual deterrent and that’s about it. To actually hire an armed guard and then empower him to act on a patron’s behalf would cost a great deal per hour. Why? The costly insurance premium in the event he is injured or killed on the job.

What would happen in just a few short months is all the gas stations in the city of Detroit would go out of business or move because they wouldn’t be able to compete with the lower prices found in the surrounding suburbs who weren’t forced by the government to hire private security. This here is another perfect example of a politician destroying livelihoods and suffering no consequences.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

+1

Clearly this idiot councilman either failed basic economics or worse doesn’t care about the costs the gas station owner would have to shoulder in order to provide security. They only make roughly 2-3 cents of profit per gallon sold. To hire a guard for even 12hrs a day or for 24-7 coverage would make the cost of gas comparatively skyrocket.

And exactly what would patrons be getting? Not much more than what a security camera already provides, which is to observe and report. The guard could serve as a visual deterrent and that’s about it. To actually hire an armed guard and then empower him to act on a patron’s behalf would cost a great deal per hour. Why? The costly insurance premium in the event he is injured or killed on the job.

What would happen in just a few short months is all the gas stations in the city of Detroit would go out of business or move because they wouldn’t be able to compete with the lower prices found in the surrounding suburbs who weren’t forced by the government to hire private security. This here is another perfect example of a politician destroying livelihoods and suffering no consequences.

Very well put good sir.

Maybe somebody should ask him about his mortgage that he walked away from? :eek:

Ezerharden

+1

Also the liability possible if the officer applies fatal force wrongfully.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooH!

Here is an idea: maybe instead of worrying about bankrupting gas station owners the good councilman should take a look at Detroit's own collapsing house of marked cards first? My God, even their Police force has been under Federal sanctions for over 10 years!

Last edited:

TheSzerdi

As a Security Officer I would hope they are ARMED and not made into defensless targets like so many in my profession are.

As another Security Guard I wouldn't trust most of the people I've met in this business to guard my dog's ***** and the one's that I would trust wouldn't take such a site posting because there's no way they'd be paid enough.

Ezerharden

As another Security Guard I wouldn't trust most of the people I've met in this business to guard my dog's ***** and the one's that I would trust wouldn't take such a site posting because there's no way they'd be paid enough.

No lie there!

RenegadeMarine

This is coming from the same idiot who said a few weeks ago that gas stations and restaurants in the City of Detroit should be closed between the hours of 11PM and 5AM. This guy is a fricken moron, and hopefully the citizens of Detroit will see that, and not re-elect him for another term, but I highly doubt that will happen.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ight/-/1719418/8495878/-/2b63dgz/-/index.html

michaelm_ski

Security Gaurds for Gad Stations

What the city of DETROIT needs to worry about is getting their police more man power and better response time , IF the city cracked down on crime and stop some of the plea bargaining maybe than crime would slow down BUT until than the people of DETROIT needs to arm them selves for their own protection !
This is coming from the same idiot who said a few weeks ago that gas stations and restaurants in the City of Detroit should be closed between the hours of 11PM and 5AM. This guy is a fricken moron, and hopefully the citizens of Detroit will see that, and not re-elect him for another term, but I highly doubt that will happen.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ight/-/1719418/8495878/-/2b63dgz/-/index.html

michaelm_ski

Security Gaurds for Gas Stations

What the city of DETROIT needs to worry about is getting their police more man power and better response time , IF the city cracked down on crime and stop some of the plea bargaining maybe than crime would slow down BUT until than the people of DETROIT needs to arm them selves for their own protection !