• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

bank

rvd4now

what law says that one cannot carry concealed in a bank, i always open carry but my wife c/c when im not around.

I know 750.234d says one can not carry cc in a bank but iv heard it both ways, some say there talking about the federal savings back down town and other say its for all banks"5/3,charter one, chase ext"..

I would like to know so my wife does not get caught up..

once again she oc when she's with me..

Adams182

what law says that one cannot carry concealed in a bank, i always open carry but my wife c/c when im not around.

I know 750.234d says one can not carry cc in a bank but iv heard it both ways, some say there talking about the federal savings back down town and other say its for all banks"5/3,charter one, chase ext"..

easy, there isn't one.

Actually speaking mainly toward people with out a CPL. I think .234d says you may not, at all, have a gun inside a financial institution, CC or OC doesn't matter. Unless you have a CPL (sec2 c)

Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

And 28.425o is the law stating where one may not CC and banks or "financial institutions" are not listed. However no I would not bring my gun into a Federal Reserve Bank or any other federal property. But at privately owned banks/credit unions you may choose how you carry CC or OC, if you have a valid CPL of course.

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection (1); violation; penalties.
Sec. 5o.

(1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A school or school property except that a parent or legal guardian of a student of the school is not precluded from carrying a concealed pistol while in a vehicle on school property, if he or she is dropping the student off at the school or picking up the child from the school. As used in this section, "school" and "school property" mean those terms as defined in section 237a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.237a.

(b) A public or private child care center or day care center, public or private child caring institution, or public or private child placing agency.

(c) A sports arena or stadium.

(d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises. This subdivision does not apply to an owner or employee of the business. The Michigan liquor control commission shall develop and make available to holders of licenses under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, an appropriate sign stating that "This establishment prohibits patrons from carrying concealed weapons". The owner or operator of an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, may, but is not required to, post the sign developed under this subdivision. A record made available by an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, necessary to enforce this subdivision is exempt from disclosure under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.

(e) Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official or officials of the church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship permit the carrying of concealed pistol on that property or facility.

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.

(g) A hospital.

(h) A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university.

1245A Defender

well,,,

one law list places of no carry.
the concealed permit/license lists places you cant conceal.
the other law says permit/license holders are exempt from the first law.
Sooo permit/license holders can take a gun in those places, but cant conceal.
Sooo permit/license holders can carry in those places, but MUST carry openly!

see 234d, and 425o

the laws work together in a convoulted and perculier way that only a Michiganer could love, or figure out...

ETA... I see above, I confused my banks and my booze stores,,, there is a differance..
but the two laws with the words on the permit/license, are the factors to keep in mind.

another ETA... read the stickies,,, Michiganers that know the ins and out of these requirements
have studied them in depth and have written it all down for you to learn and understand...
you shouldnt carry at all untill their wisdom, is your wisdom.
I was just trying to help.

ETA again,,, I think the stickies are stuck up, cause of age, but see this chart for carry,,,Carry Chart - amended.pdf

Last edited:

Yance

Seeing as how the postings might seem a little confusing this is how it work...and I added the links to the MCLs in case you wanted to read more.

Without having a CPL:

MCL 750.234d

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(x4...g.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-234d

With a CPL while carrying concealed

MCL 28.425o

(a) A school or school property

(b) A public or private child care center or day care center, public or private child caring institution, or public or private child placing agency.

(c) A sports arena or stadium

(d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises.

(e) Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals

(g) A hospital

(h) A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(dz...eg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-425o

So...the first post MCL 750.234d only concerns someone who DOES NOT have a MI CPL, the areas listed in the statute are off limits to possession not just carry. Some would suggest not having it in your vehicle in the parking lot to avoid any possible complications.

Once you have a CPL MCL 750.234d does not apply to you because the statute tells you you are exempt. Since this statute does not limit the type of possession of a firearm by someone with a CPL, carrying, be it open or concealed, or in a vehicle, youre free to carry the gun as you please. Open or concealed. So carrying in a bank openly or concealed is fine once you have a CPL.

Moving on to MCL 28.425o, this lists where the carrying of a concealed weapon is prohibited to CPL holders. A couple of things here, the first, if you compare the off limits locations to that of 750.234d you will notice that ONLY 750.234d lists A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution. Second, 28.425o does not mention the same, therefore it is not illegal to carry concealed into your local bank branch.

Last edited:

scot623

Didn't you get into a dust up about carrying on a college campus? You should know the firearm laws forward and backward. If not, you shouldn't be carrying yet.

scot623

I think you missed the point.

I think you are missing the point. No where, not in ONE state is firearm carry unregulated. There are restrictions on age, places you can carry and limits on who can own/carry a gun based on misdemeanor or felony status. So your broken record about all laws regulating firearms being unconstitutional is never going to get us to the fantasy land you want to live in. Guns will always be regulated in this country, anyone who believes otherwise is delusional.

NHCGRPR45

one law list places of no carry.
the concealed permit/license lists places you cant conceal.
the other law says permit/license holders are exempt from the first law.
Sooo permit/license holders can take a gun in those places, but cant conceal.
Sooo permit/license holders can carry in those places, but MUST carry openly!

see 234d, and 425o

the laws work together in a convoulted and perculier way that only a Michiganer could love, or figure out...

ETA... I see above, I confused my banks and my booze stores,,, there is a differance..
but the two laws with the words on the permit/license, are the factors to keep in mind.

another ETA... read the stickies,,, Michiganers that know the ins and out of these requirements
have studied them in depth and have written it all down for you to learn and understand...
you shouldnt carry at all untill their wisdom, is your wisdom.
I was just trying to help.

ETA again,,, I think the stickies are stuck up, cause of age, but see this chart for carry,,,Carry Chart - amended.pdf

Open or Concealed carry is legal in regular banks.

Yeah, guns are just for some people.

Yes you are right. Guns are for those who don't get arrested and convicted of crimes.

I think you missed the point.

Nope you did, repeatedly.

Haman J.T.

Ok you got the point, good. Of course I know that "Shall not be infringed" cannot be made to mean what it says, but that is the goal, and it is up to us to take the ball down the field as far as we can.
It was the way things were prior to 68'.Thats not that long ago,so I believe anything is possible if We Fight for it!Thats my goal too! To take the laws back to my childhood!CARRY ON!

Haman J.T.

Yes you are right. Guns are for those who don't get arrested and convicted of crimes.

Not true! Read the CPL laws(3 & 8 year list)!Getting arrested doesn't mean you're guilty.Fessing up doesn't eliminate your Rights!

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran

that's absurd. guns are for everyone. even those who have made mistakes in their past. the average person commits 3 felonies a day. should every felon have their rights taken away? or just the ones who get caught?

stainless1911

Banned
Thanks guys.

FWIW, I spoke to the girls mother yesterday, explained what happened, and she said that it was a load of crap. The person pushing this wasnt even a parent of the girl that was hurt, just a witness. A 4 year old witness. The police were pushing for a felony and restitution, which the mother of the girl who got hurt was against. She is also against the no contact restriction imposed by the court.

Haman J.T.

that's absurd. guns are for everyone. even those who have made mistakes in their past. the average person commits 3 felonies a day. should every felon have their rights taken away? or just the ones who get caught?
Are You suggesting the hippocrites that haven't been caught should shut up? I've noticed a lot of those liberal elitists spouting such B.S! Such common sense from a gun nut! Imagine! CARRY ON!

budlight

What felonies did I commit today? Let see, I went to work, gave an honest days labor, drove home, went out with friends, etc. What felonies are we talking about here??? I even paid for my lunch and dinner with my debit card……not my welfare card as I have none. Note to others I don't have a welfare card as I chose to work.