• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forced into a last minute trip to Portland next week - no license for Oregon - have ?

AlexMayhem

Gents -

Have to travel to Portland, Oregon next week - I don't go into OR unless I have to, so I never bothered with getting licensed for concealed carry there. And like things tend to go, I'm forced for personal reasons to stay in Portland for a while. I've little time to look into the laws, but I know I can't CC, and I'll be traveling with family members that are not ok with me keeping my firearm in plain sight in a case unloaded. Still don't want to go without my carry piece.

My question is, based on your knowledge, if I took my Springfield X-DM into Portland, but had taken it apart into 3 pieces (slide+barrel/recoil assembly, frame, and magazine) and had one component in a cargo pocket, another in my CC minded backpack, and the third in another pocket or compartment of the bag, would I still be considered as CCing?

I will not be going onto any government property or public transportation. I understand even though having the weapon in pieces I'm at a major tactical disadvantage (I'm a knife guy too, so I'm at least covered by the decent knife carry laws) - I'm less concerned about having it in public (won't be out and about much) as I am in my hotel room - sounds like a bad part of town. I guess a second question is can I be armed in my hotel room, and utilitize it if need be there without fear of prosecution?

I'll be getting the Oregon permit after the trip, though from the little I've gleaned it won't help me much in Portland. Sucks too - earlier this year I visited the WA state capital and OCed all through it, even watching the State Congress and Senate vote on bills, but I can't protect myself and my party during a trip to your city.

We-the-People

Gents -

Have to travel to Portland, Oregon next week - I don't go into OR unless I have to, so I never bothered with getting licensed for concealed carry there. And like things tend to go, I'm forced for personal reasons to stay in Portland for a while. I've little time to look into the laws, but I know I can't CC, and I'll be traveling with family members that are not ok with me keeping my firearm in plain sight in a case unloaded. Still don't want to go without my carry piece.

My question is, based on your knowledge, if I took my Springfield X-DM into Portland, but had taken it apart into 3 pieces (slide+barrel/recoil assembly, frame, and magazine) and had one component in a cargo pocket, another in my CC minded backpack, and the third in another pocket or compartment of the bag, would I still be considered as CCing?

I will not be going onto any government property or public transportation. I understand even though having the weapon in pieces I'm at a major tactical disadvantage (I'm a knife guy too, so I'm at least covered by the decent knife carry laws) - I'm less concerned about having it in public (won't be out and about much) as I am in my hotel room - sounds like a bad part of town. I guess a second question is can I be armed in my hotel room, and utilitize it if need be there without fear of prosecution?

I'll be getting the Oregon permit after the trip, though from the little I've gleaned it won't help me much in Portland. Sucks too - earlier this year I visited the WA state capital and OCed all through it, even watching the State Congress and Senate vote on bills, but I can't protect myself and my party during a trip to your city.

Portland sucks without a CHL.

If you're going to break the firearm down like that you may as well just put it in the trunk....with magazine unloaded due to a local ordinance. Better to carry a revolver in that situation (with a speed clip which is not a magazine). Still can't be concealed in the passenger compartment but can be carried there in the open.

Another Option, get a Black Powder pistol. They are NOT "handguns" in Oregon, they are "firearms". They can be concealed within the vehicle without a CHL.....though you still can not have them "loaded". However, a BP pistol is only loaded if it has a powder charge, ball, AND primer. Just leave the primers out. Then again, I don't have one so I don't know if it's more time consuming to prime the cylinders on a BP pistol as compared to loading a semi auto magazine or using a speed loader clip with a revolver. AND I guarantee if you do have an encounter with police they'll NOT know the damn law.

waskel

What We-the-People said.
Also, my condolences on being forced to travel to Portland. I grew up there, lived there for nearly 40 years, and now I pretty much refuse any but the most desperate reasons to enter the metro area. To many of us in the rest of the state, it's like a foreign country.

waskel

WOW! I only just noticed, Neskowin, you are as well blessed as I am. Living in Neskowin, I would not leave either! And here, where I do live, I have an expensive ferryman as gatekeeper to make sure that I think twice before leaving.

Neskowin is beautiful, remote, but barely isolated for having road access.

All true. With Pacific City 10 minutes north, Lincoln City 10 minutes south and the ocean 2 minutes west...
Also on the border between Lincoln (anti) and Tillamook (pro) counties. Luckily on the Tillamook side.

Last edited:

WulfstanNW

Better to carry a revolver in that situation (with a speed clip which is not a magazine).

I think that will get you in trouble in Portland. They do specifically mention not not having a load clip or magazine. That speed loader would be a clip.

14A.60.010
B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm’s clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.

We-the-People

I think that will get you in trouble in Portland. They do specifically mention not not having a load clip or magazine. That speed loader would be a clip.

14A.60.010
B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm’s clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.

A "speed loader", which is the proper terminology for those devices used to rapidly load a revolver, is neither a clip not a magazine. That said, with Portland's extreme anti gun stance, I wouldn't put anything past them. They routinely arrest people and then drop the charges when the person doesn't roll over for them. The ONLY reason their ordinance hasn't been overturned in many areas (including the loaded clip/magazine) is that they do not allow them to go before the courts.

JoeSparky

Centurion
A "speed loader", which is the proper terminology for those devices used to rapidly load a revolver, is neither a clip not a magazine. That said, with Portland's extreme anti gun stance, I wouldn't put anything past them. They routinely arrest people and then drop the charges when the person doesn't roll over for them. The ONLY reason their ordinance hasn't been overturned in many areas (including the loaded clip/magazine) is that they do not allow them to go before the courts.
A variant is known as "moon clips" MI ht still be a problem!

We-the-People

A variant is known as "moon clips" MI ht still be a problem!

Yes, moon clips might be considered a part of the firearm if they are an essential part for it's operation......some revolvers fire rimless ammunition by holding them in place in the weapon with moon clips.

I don't think the speed loader type of moon clips, which only hold the ammunition before it is loaded into the cylinders, would qualify. They are merely a means of storing and transporting ammunition. Activities which local ordinances are NOT allowed to regulate.

Last edited:

Jeff. State

Banned
I have carried in Portland as well as many other areas of the country according to the Constitution/2nd Amendment, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed".

I'll just leave it at that.

OC Freedom

I have carried in Portland as well as many other areas of the country according to the Constitution/2nd Amendment, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed".

When I lived in Vancouver in 80's and 90's, I always carried in Portland metro area. I am with you, Oregon just doesn't get what "shall not be infringed" means.

We-the-People

As the statute of limitation is long past, I can safely say that when I was stationed at Andrews AFB MD (just outside Washington DC), I NEVER travelled without a firearm at least in my vehicle, if not on my person.

Tried by 12 or carried by 6.....and individual choice.