• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Private sales, where to post?

onlurker

I know this comes up on a semi-frequent basis, but I can't seem to find anything in the search :uhoh:

Anyway, I'm looking to thin the gun collection a little and would like to know of some places to post an ad. I know of outdoortrader.com, and the ad banner above (which seems to be low in traffic), but where are some other places?

joeroket

I know this comes up on a semi-frequent basis, but I can't seem to find anything in the search :uhoh:

Anyway, I'm looking to thin the gun collection a little and would like to know of some places to post an ad. I know of outdoortrader.com, and the ad banner above (which seems to be low in traffic), but where are some other places?

http://www.northwestfirearms.com

amlevin

Have you considered a "consignment" with a local Dealer? Over the years I have sold a few firearms that way. I found that the "fee" was worthwhile as I didn't have to answer any phone calls or e-mails, set up any "meets", or take any chance that the firearm would fall into "prohibited" hands. Most Dealers that I have encountered charge a fixed fee, usually in the range of $50. This may be a little steep if one is selling a low-end firearm like a "no-name shotgun" but not all that significant if selling a "custom" worth a couple of grand.

Just a thought.

Just a note on the law:

If one places a firearm "on consignment" with a Dealer the firearm is then entered into his "Book". If you choose to reclaim the firearm at a later date you will be required to fill out the form 4473 and the State Form if a handgun. Same rules apply as if purchasing a new/used firearm.

This is to prevent someone who is now disqualified from possessing firearms to merely place them on consignment and then "when the heat is off" going back to reclaim them.

Last edited:

cbpeck

Gun Broker gets a ton of traffic, and while it is national, I don't think there's any reason why you couldn't state WA Private Sale only.

joeroket

Have you considered a "consignment" with a local Dealer? Over the years I have sold a few firearms that way. I found that the "fee" was worthwhile as I didn't have to answer any phone calls or e-mails, set up any "meets", or take any chance that the firearm would fall into "prohibited" hands. Most Dealers that I have encountered charge a fixed fee, usually in the range of $50. This may be a little steep if one is selling a low-end firearm like a "no-name shotgun" but not all that significant if selling a "custom" worth a couple of grand.

Just a thought.

Just a note on the law:

If one places a firearm "on consignment" with a Dealer the firearm is then entered into his "Book". If you choose to reclaim the firearm at a later date you will be required to fill out the form 4473 and the State Form if a handgun. Same rules apply as if purchasing a new/used firearm.

This is to prevent someone who is now disqualified from possessing firearms to merely place them on consignment and then "when the heat is off" going back to reclaim them.

I didn't think about suggesting it to him at the time but Sound Loan on Wetmore in downtown Everett might do consignment, I know he is planning on expanding more into firearms at the moment but I was just talking with him about this about 2 weeks ago or so.

brianstone1985

Where to post firearm sales:

Just a thought, but how about we all support one of the website sponsors and look into gunsandammotrader.com

they support us!

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

Just a thought.

Just a note on the law:

If you wanted to sell your car, would you 'consign' it to a local auto dealer?

You just lose privacy, money, deal with jerk employees rather than jerk customers, etc.

Private sale FTW imho.

amlevin

If you wanted to sell your car, would you 'consign' it to a local auto dealer?

You just lose privacy, money, deal with jerk employees rather than jerk customers, etc.

Private sale FTW imho.

A big difference in consigning a car for a "percentage" and a gun for a "$50 fee". In gun sales you set the price, with cars, yes, you get to deal with the jerk sales people.

As I said in my post, all my consignment gun sales were simple and painless. Mileage varies.