• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Free Lance-Star LTE

TFred

More nonsense, this time using the recent Ohio school shooting to plead for more gun control laws.

Not a cogent thought in the entire letter... but I'm too tired to put my brain into "illogical mode" to respond.

Certainly no correlation between the results they want and the solutions they propose.

Have at it.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2012/032012/03082012/686107

TFred

wylde007

These babbling mouth breathers parrot the same insulting suggestions every time and right on cue. They conveniently (deliberately?) forget that in every locale where "laws" (read: Constitutional infringements) of this nature actually ARE in effect, these crimes occur just as, if not MORE frequently.

Riana

I struggled through the whole letter, and the following thoughts came to me:

1. WTH is "more deadly"? Is that like "a little bit pregnant"? Dead is dead - there are no degrees (unless you're talking about undead, which is a different thing entirely.

2. Whoa! You can conceal a rifle or shotgun without a permit in Ohio? This guy seems to think you can.

3. Obviously, this guy has never filled out a 4473 - they do ask if you're a convicted felon. And in a lot of (legal) private sales, the seller will ask if the buyer is prohibited from possession (not required, but it is still asked).

And lastly, he somehow thinks that knowing someone has a gun will prevent them from using it in a crime. Not sure how that conclusion works yet - my brain is starting to smoke, so I had to stop thinking it.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member

2. Whoa! You can conceal a rifle or shotgun without a permit in Ohio? This guy seems to think you can.

Ohio Revised Code 2923.12(D)(2) provides an affirmative defense to the charge of carrying a concealed weapon if the person: Was carrying something other than a handgun (for which there is the CHL) for defensive purposes, was engaged in lawful activity, and had reasonable cause to fear a criminal attack, such as would justify a prudent person going armed. This affirmative defense would not apply to a prohibited possessor (shooter was 17 and not under parental control), a person who possessed the firearm on K-12 grounds generally, or someone who did not possess the non-handgun for purposes that were not lawful.

This affirmative defense was essentially the affirmative defense folks used to carry concealed handguns in Ohio prior to the establishment of the concealed handgun licensing and license holder registration scheme of 2004.

Last edited:

AIC869

1. WTH is "more deadly"? Is that like "a little bit pregnant"? Dead is dead - there are no degrees (unless you're talking about undead, which is a different thing entirely. SNIP

It's the old "strenuously object" trick. "Strenuously object? Is that how it works?" :)

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran

1. WTH is "more deadly"? Is that like "a little bit pregnant"? Dead is dead - there are no degrees (unless you're talking about undead, which is a different thing entirely.

someone needs to watch Princess bride
Miracle Max: Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.
:p

wylde007

Miracle Max: Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.
Go through his pockets for loose change.

Brilliant.