• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - HB 5550 - Last minute permit confidentiality erosion bill

Rich B

Judiciary Committee

PUBLIC HEARING AGENDA

Thursday, March 29, 2012

10:00 AM in Room 1E

I. RAISED BILLS FOR REVIEW

13. H.B. No. 5550 (RAISED) AN ACT PROVIDING FEDERAL PROBATION OFFICERS WITH ACCESS TO FIREARM DATA REGARDING PROBATIONERS.

This bill seeks to give Federal probation officers access to our state pistol permit database. This bill should be opposed since a Federal felon would already have his or her permit revoked and this bill only seeks to take away confidentiality about our permit database.

See my written testimony as well as the bill status here: http://ctcarry.com/Legislative/Session2012

If anyone has written testimony they would like to submit but they cannot make it to the LOB on the date and time of the hearing, please send it to me and I will submit it on your behalf.

Thank you,
Rich Burgess
President
Connecticut Carry, Inc
Email: rich@ctcarry.com
Ph: 203.208.9577
http://ctcarry.com

JoshD422

Looks like the bill also would provide access to the list of people who legally own pre-ban assault weapons. My question is: If a probation officer really DID need to know whether or not a specific person had a permit, why couldn't they just contact DPS? I don't see why they would need access to the entire database since 99.99% of permit holders would NOT be on federal probation to begin with.

JoshD422

Assuming they were convicted of a Federal felony, I would say that number is 100%.

A federal judge can sentence someone convicted of a misdemeanor to probation. And even though in many of those cases the person isn't assigned to a probation officer or required to meet with anyone, there's always the chance that it could be included as part of the terms of their probation.

Rich B

A federal judge can sentence someone convicted of a misdemeanor to probation. And even though in many of those cases the person isn't assigned to a probation officer or required to meet with anyone, there's always the chance that it could be included as part of the terms of their probation.

But in that case, why do they need to know about the permit status?

JoshD422

I'm not asserting that they would. All I was saying is that if it ever happened to be information they ACTUALLY DID have a justified requirement for, it should be something they asked for on a one-time basis, which could then be provided. I don't think the answer would be to open up an entire database filled with personal information of law abiding citizens.

Rich B

I'm not asserting that they would. All I was saying is that if it ever happened to be information they ACTUALLY DID have a justified requirement for, it should be something they asked for on a one-time basis, which could then be provided. I don't think the answer would be to open up an entire database filled with personal information of law abiding citizens.

Fair enough. I am a lot more comfortable just saying that the Feds can't have access to our permit database at all. It amounts to a Federal registration scheme for the residents of Connecticut, and that can never work out for the better.

Remember, when they check your permit details, they get a listing of your registered firearms.

Last edited:

Rich Clavet

Brainless Automatons

So another potential law is passed on through committee with only the agenda in mind. It must've been close to lunchtime for our elected officials. Certainly if would have taken some effort to evaluate the potential of turning over this database. Incompetence seems to run amok here in CT.

Rich B

So another potential law is passed on through committee with only the agenda in mind. It must've been close to lunchtime for our elected officials. Certainly if would have taken some effort to evaluate the potential of turning over this database. Incompetence seems to run amok here in CT.

What do we expect? Where is all the rest of the written testimony against this bill? As it stands, you have one for, one against.