• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911's!!!!!!!!!

LJennings

I googled for the/a EEA Windicator user manual.

Here's what it had to say:

1. HANDLING IN GENERAL
This revolver has an internal safety and does not require an unloaded chamber
under the hammer; however, we recommend you keep one chamber empty in the
cylinder and the hammer at rest on this empty chamber.

Makes ya wonder, don't it? Are they just being super-cautious--in case they're sued they can point to the user manual's recommendation? Or, is there something a little dodgy about their safety mechanism?

The next paragraph does say:

This revolver has an internal safety device which keeps the hammer from striking
the firing pin except when the hammer is all the way back in the full cock position
and the trigger is pulled completely back.

So, I'm kinda thinking its a legal liability thing.

Does sound like a liability issue. Being overly cautious on their part may save their a** in a lawsuit in case of a severe safety failure.

WalkingWolf

It seems to me I've seen a thumb-break holster for 1911's where the outer strap is designed to fit between the back of the slide and the cocked hammer. I mention this for anyone nervous about carrying Condition 1.

There is nothing to be nervous about as long as safe handling, or should I say safe not handling of the firearm is maintained. A 1911 is a weapon where there should be some education either done on the owners own, or taking a safe handling class. I carry condition 2 because I carry most of the time a SA revolver, I have since I was a teenager. It is natural for me, and safe. Condition 1 is safe as long as a person does not pull the trigger with the safety off unless on target.

IMO it does not matter where the safety strap goes, it is there for retention. Though the public may feel more comfortable with one between hammer and FP. But to be honest I don't worry too much about the public and think most people do not even notice the hammer is back. People that pick up on the hammer are IMO gun knowledgeable and won't care anyway. To the skerdy cats it is a gun, that is all they see.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I ... think most people do not even notice the hammer is back. People that pick up on the hammer are IMO gun knowledgeable and won't care anyway. To the skerdy cats it is a gun, that is all they see.

You would think so, but three times in just the past year, I have had concerned gun people come up to me to politely inform me that the hammer was back on my pistol. It was kind of surreal.

I think we've raised an entire generation of striker-fired morons.

Last edited:

MackTheKnife

Me, too

I have a Kimber 1911 ultra compact. I was a little nervous about the hammer at first but when I got comfortable with the gun, I just take reasonable precautions. Besides the safety features already built into the gun, I use a thumbreak holster. Also, 1911's with beavertails on the grip safety help to cradle the hammer a bit to keep it a little more secure from being hit. This is my primary carry gun now for both open an concealed carry. I just got a Bianchi Fletch thumbreak holster that protects the gun very well and I am very comfortable now with carrying cocked and locked.

My EDC is usually my Kimber Ultra Carry I loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs (first two) followed by Federal Hydrashock mixed with Hornady XTP. My other Kimber carry is a full-sized CDP I bought about 12 years ago. I carry the the "Baby Kimber" more often since I wear it in an OWB Fobus holster and doesn't expose as much as the big Kimber. And the accuracy out of that short barrel is as good at 25yds as the 5" barrel. LOVE MY KIMBERS!
BTW, carrying cocked and locked does take some training, but it doesn't take long to build the muscle memory.

DamonK

It seems to me I've seen a thumb-break holster for 1911's where the outer strap is designed to fit between the back of the slide and the cocked hammer. I mention this for anyone nervous about carrying Condition 1.

I have a galco that fits that way.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

DreQo

State Researcher
You would think so, but three times in just the past year, I have had concerned gun people come up to me to politely inform me that the hammer was back on my pistol. It was kind of surreal.

I think we've raised an entire generation of striker-fired morons.

LOL!

I carry in condition 1. It's kinda silly to carry a 1911 any other way. It's kinda like bringing a sandwich for lunch with the bread in the bread bag, turkey in the turkey bag, cheese in the wrapper, and mayo in the bottle. I get 30 minutes for lunch, I want to unwrap my sandwich and eat it, not build the damned thing first.

I've got less than a second to stop a potential murderer. I want to unholster my gun and shoot it, not chamber and cock the damned thing first.