• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home carry and do you ever not carry?

rs3604

Just curious, do you carry at home or just put your sidearm on the coffee table and are there times you leave the house unarmed (other than a job that may not allow it,but then you can leave it in the car at work)? I feel that if i choose to be an armed citizen then i should always be armed, understanding that it is a big responsibility and "situational awareness" must be high and i need to be respectful of others opinions as i hope they would be of mine. But,it is the choice i made.

Mattimusmaximus

I (being from Oregon) still carry in my home until I lay my head to rest. At home an outta home. Didn't you know that 100% of home invasions happen at home? Lol

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I always carry at home. I may put my EDC on the desk, but if so, I will replace it with my BUG, especially when I am working on cars and other projects that require contortion and contact with stuff.

And just like in the truck, there is also a shotgun nearby, a preferred weapon for home defense if it can be gotten to.

Last edited:

JustaShooter

I am armed from the time I get dressed in the morning until I lay down to sleep at night, and in between those times my sidearm and shotgun are close at hand. That is, of course, except for times I must disarm to enter a posted area for some reason. But I never leave home unarmed, even just to go to the corner store. Since putting on my sidearm is a part of getting dressed, it would take more effort to leave unarmed than to go armed.

rs3604

Mac702, agree +1 on the shotty, i carry my s&w on my hip all day home or away but at night i have a 12ga next to the bed. Mattimus, i am surprised to hear that more home invasions don't happen in the car.:D. thanx that gave me a laugh.

Rusty Young Man

I always carry at home. I may put my EDC on the desk, but if so, I will replace it with my BUG, especially when I am working on cars and other projects that require contortion and contact with stuff.

+1 on the "always carry at home" part.

And just like in the truck, there is also a shotgun nearby, a preferred weapon for home defense if it can be gotten to.

Why is the shotgun the "preferred weapon for home defense"? Don't mean for this to turn into a "over-penetration", "capacity-deficiency", "more lead downrange" argument, but I do have to ask "Why wouldn't a carbine be preferred?".

Last edited:

rs3604

Justashooter, like that you see it as a part of getting dressed, if you choose to carry it should become part of the wardrobe, concealed or open. Rusty Young Man,fair question and for me i see it like this, on a pump shotty i have less controls than say on an ar and it is easier (imo) to manipulate half awake with adrenaline effecting fine motor skills, i also have the chance to put 9 00pellets or 24 #4buck pellets downrange in one shot.i also feel,and again it's just my opinion that having to cycle the action manually give that extra second to calm and see if i really need to. i have seen guys with 5 rounds in the mag of a semi auto hunting rifle see a deer and press that trigger 7 times and only hit once or twice.Now i know not everyone would do that but not everyone is used to dealing with the stress and as we all know every round we fire has a lawyer attached and we will answer for them. That's just me and others opinions are welcome and encouraged.

WalkingWolf

Just curious, do you carry at home or just put your sidearm on the coffee table and are there times you leave the house unarmed (other than a job that may not allow it,but then you can leave it in the car at work)? I feel that if i choose to be an armed citizen then i should always be armed, understanding that it is a big responsibility and "situational awareness" must be high and i need to be respectful of others opinions as i hope they would be of mine. But,it is the choice i made.

Your chances of needing your firearm are probably just as much a possibility as being in public. I carry at home, it is almost always on my hip in a holster. And I have needed it quickly on several occasions to kill possum and raccoon. There is no time outs when the BG is breaking in.

Mattimusmaximus

Mac702, agree +1 on the shotty, i carry my s&w on my hip all day home or away but at night i have a 12ga next to the bed. Mattimus, i am surprised to hear that more home invasions don't happen in the car.:D. thanx that gave me a laugh.

Your welcome :)

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Rusty Young Man

I'm sure the FBI, CIA, NSA, ATF, IRS, TSA, Big Sis and your local law enforcement are too.

:banghead:

They already assume everyone is a danger to their rule and to themselves. You ever wonder why so many warrants are being served by SWAT teams? Why we keep getting more cases of "activist judges"? Why hundreds of millions of dollars of ARMORED VEHICLES are being doled out to local LEAs?

I think we all know exactly how much we can trust our government..... to distrust its intended subjects (especially those still loyal to the Republic).

DrakeZ07

Ever heard of the (false) Yamamoto qoute "...A gun behind every blade of grass..."? That's my home. So, no, I don't carry while at home.

The number of times when I don't carry a firearm on my person, at all, come up about the same number of times when I do carry a firearm on my person, openly. I OC when I want to, however I want, and if I feel like it. None of us have to carry openly every time we leave our home/vehicle, just to be a 2A/OC supporter/educator.

rs3604

Handy and Rusty, i am sure they already know.They supposedly have all these lists so i am sure that if you buy a gun your name goes some where, but i guess that would be another thread all together. Drake, love that supposed or misquoted saying of why yamamoto said you can not invade American soil.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I (being from Oregon) still carry in my home until I lay my head to rest. At home an outta home......

+1 on the "always carry at home" part.

Why is the shotgun the "preferred weapon for home defense"? Don't mean for this to turn into a "over-penetration", "capacity-deficiency", "more lead downrange" argument, but I do have to ask "Why wouldn't a carbine be preferred?".

I am with you Matt, Rusty, Always carry. I looked at this mornings "plan of the day" and it did not list a home invasion for my house, but you never know. Put it in the holster first thing in the morning and hope you do not have to take it out until bedtime.

On the shotgun thing, I keep a pair of them handy. A marine 12g pump and a joe biden gun(12g dbl bbl). The pump has a pre-programmed firefight in it. Two rubber buck, two rubber slug, and a fleschette for tires. The 1894 Remington has a pair of 72 cal copper hollowpoints, its just a closet gun.

rs3604

Msg, +1 never have to take it out 'til bed, good set up,nothing but love for a good old side x side. wondering why choose LTL rubber as opposed to standard LF rounds?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Msg, . wondering why choose LTL rubber as opposed to standard LF rounds?

I used to teach a "home defense" course to the spouses of my unit before we deployed. The idea behind rubber rounds is this. If you shoot someone with a shotgun (or any other tool) you may/will be having a conversation with a judge. My conversation will go something like this.......
" Sir, I went out of my way to ensure that any interaction with these criminals would be non-lethal, but still protect my family from this horrible home invasion."

Intent...what was in your mind when you fired on these people? My intent is non-lethal. That said, the average firefight, in the home, is seven to ten feet. A 12g at that distance will not get a big spread and will be travelling at a pretty good velocity on impact. Try it at your range and take note of the size of the pattern.

Remember, your intent is non-lethal.

JustaShooter

I used to teach a "home defense" course to the spouses of my unit before we deployed. The idea behind rubber rounds is this. If you shoot someone with a shotgun (or any other tool) you may/will be having a conversation with a judge. My conversation will go something like this.......
" Sir, I went out of my way to ensure that any interaction with these criminals would be non-lethal, but still protect my family from this horrible home invasion."

Intent...what was in your mind when you fired on these people? My intent is non-lethal. That said, the average firefight, in the home, is seven to ten feet. A 12g at that distance will not get a big spread and will be travelling at a pretty good velocity on impact. Try it at your range and take note of the size of the pattern.

Remember, your intent is non-lethal.

I'm afraid my conversation will be different than yours because there is no way on Earth I'm going to trust LTL rounds to stop the threat. You see, that is my intent - stop the threat. Period. If I have to use a firearm it is because I am in fear for my life or the life of my loved ones. I'm not performing riot control, and I've seen and read about too many instances where the BG keeps coming after multiple LTL hits. I intend to stop the BG as quickly and definitively as possible. To me, that means buckshot in a 12 gauge or SD rounds in a carbine or handgun.

HandyHamlet

Handy and Rusty, i am sure they already know.They supposedly have all these lists so ...

Yes. Of course it is tactically wise and prudent to reveal all. The fact that they know you may already own firearms is not enough. Might as well draw maps for 'em too. Give 'em your work schedule.

:banana:

KySIGGuy

If I am at home...yes I keep my sidearm on my hip at all times. If I could keep it with me all day I would, but my workplace will not allow me to carry (that's when it goes in my glovebox).