• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this considered legal open carrying (picture included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

potcha

I do some walking and do not wear pants with belts and am a bit too large for shoulder holsters. Since I don't have my CPL, I have to open carry. My solution was to wear my gun openly on the outside of my backpack. I achieved this by adding Velcro tape to the holster and the backpack and tightly tying the bands of the backpack around the outside of the holster. Since this is clearly visible, this would be legally open carrying still, correct?

uTWzGvm.jpg

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Perhaps, but tactically, there are concerns. It appears to be at the very rear of the pack, well out of your visual field. In a crowd, it could easily get snatched.

There are some duty belts that fasten with velcro that could be worn over your clothing, and provide a secure, tactically sound method to keep your sidearm handy.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?usersearchquery=belt&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=15937
Modify message

SD40VE

I do some walking and do not wear pants with belts and am a bit too large for shoulder holsters. Since I don't have my CPL, I have to open carry. My solution was to wear my gun openly on the outside of my backpack. I achieved this by adding Velcro tape to the holster and the backpack and tightly tying the bands of the backpack around the outside of the holster. Since this is clearly visible, this would be legally open carrying still, correct?

such a nice sig, in such a cheap holster.

if you are wearing sweat pants maybe look into a OWB paddle holster like a blackhawk serpa. im no small guy but i can pull off walking in a serpa with sweat pants. i wouldnt recommend carrying that way. easy to have someone come snatch it off your bag. then you are disarmed and defenseless..... dont do that to yourself

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Carry/wear it on the front of your chest and solve the problems :lol:

Last edited:

HPmatt

Grape I don't see where the holster is in that photo - are you posting pics of CC?

Or is it one of those new Woodbridge holsters - UDHs - under-the-diaper holster?

Attachments

• Woodbridge CT.jpg
    Woodbridge CT.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 144

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
It's legal.

But you should probably start wearing belts. If your safety is important enough to start carrying a gun, surely it's important enough to start wearing a belt.

Then you can join the rest of adulthood (who doesn't wear belts?)! :)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grape I don't see where the holster is in that photo - are you posting pics of CC?

Or is it one of those new Woodbridge holsters - UDHs - under-the-diaper holster?
Walk around to the other side.

You will note the carrier is forward on the right side - provides room for full size handgun. :)

FreeInAZ

yeah, new account, one post. very little chance this clown is serious.

He posted the exact same thing on MOC's forum....hmmmm....wonder if someone is reverting to their old ways.... ???

On the off chance this is legit...the only way I see to safely wear that rig would be with the pack at your front, thus making it a frontpack & not a backpack. ;)

Michigander

such a nice sig, in such a cheap holster.

if you are wearing sweat pants maybe look into a OWB paddle holster like a blackhawk serpa. im no small guy but i can pull off walking in a serpa with sweat pants. i wouldnt recommend carrying that way. easy to have someone come snatch it off your bag. then you are disarmed and defenseless..... dont do that to yourself

Dude, neither Serpas nor paddle holsters in general are very serious (some would argue Serpas are unreliable and dangerous at worst) and while they will generally work okay for most people in most cases, a serpa paddle holster hooked to sweat pants for OCing is kind of hitting the trifecta of not such a good idea for OCing in populated public areas. You can have a dedicated, adjustable gun belt that you can instantly buckle around your waist whether you're at a nudist colony or riding snowmobiles in the UP bundled up heavily. You can get fancier, but a 50 dollar Safailand and a 6 dollar tool belt and you are there. There is no reason not to do it right.

Last edited:

wimwag

I love how people who haven't used a Serpa always harp on them. Armchair QBs lol

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I love how people who haven't used a Serpa always harp on them. Armchair QBs lol

I used a Serpa daily for nearly half a decade until it catastrophically failed by deconstructing off my belt. I sounded just like you once.

Have fun with that.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I used a Serpa daily for nearly half a decade until it catastrophically failed by deconstructing off my belt. I sounded just like you once.

Have fun with that.

What failed on it was it the paddle that came off, did one of belt loops break, the screws come loose or did it crack and come apart.

Fairly simple design like any thing stuff happens I had nylon holster rip. I had leather holsters dry rot ,stitching tear and rivets pop and rip out, thumb snaps tear through get bent among many things nothing is perfect for sure.

After using holsters regularly for over 40 years I find the man made materials handier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.