• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best "Dress" Gun

ZackL

So, I don't have a CCW and I'm still not sure if I plan to get a Colorado CCW, but I was wondering what everyone thought was the best "dress" gun. What I mean by this is, what is the gun that looks to the sleekest, highest class, that has good stopping power and can be worn with just about everything? I personally like the looks of a high quality stainless or nickel 1911 with offset colors (i.e. black frame w/ stainless slide, trigger, hammer, safety, slide release, or any dark/shiny combination you can think of really). However, I've also been thinking of a nice, not too bulky/huge revolver that is either nickel or stainless and just LOOKS amazing. I ask because I am going to Christmas and New Years' parties and have been thinking about what to wear that would look good with my Ruger. It's not too ugly, but I know it doesn't look the best, especially after almost a year of carry behind it with all the bumps and nicks it's received. Anyway, I thought it would make an interesting topic. Let me know what you all think.

mahkagari

Basic black all the way. Stainless and nickel don't look "sleek" or "high class" they look kitsch and flashy. Go for simple elegance, not bling.

Gunslinger

Either of my SIG 1911s look great, and with 8 or 9 rounds of Federal HST 230g +Ps are as deadly a defensive weapon as you can get. The C3 is Commander slide and bbl and Officers frame. Both are SS slide and SIG's Nitron (black) frame. The full sized also has a rail. I get compliments on them all of the time, both are poa accurate, reliable and with a Fobus for the C3 and a Blade-Tech for the Rail, easy to carry OC or CC. About a grand each.

mahkagari

If we're talking accessorizing, the consideration needs to include your holster. You really do want something that "goes with everything", not that looks like you stuck on last minute and it's your first time out of torn jeans and a pit-stained Skynard tshirt. Or that you're a usually a uniformed LEO and threw on your duty weapon without a thought to your appearance.

Last edited:

ZackL

To answer a few questions, I am not looking for something with too much "bling" but polished/shiny highlights can make a gun look better, in my opinion. And I guess, yes, I am looking for a barbecue/court gun, but I'm not a big fan of tons of engraving (i.e. matching belt, holster, buckle and gun). I think a bit on the gun is fine, but more and it's just a bit too much. The 625 is a good idea, but I would have to find one polished stainless .45LC or pay to have it done, but it is a good looker.

Any recommendations on some good leather? I can't see wearing decent clothes, dress shoes and a nylon holster either, although it did slip my mind on the original post. Also, how much of the gun should show out of the holster? I think that it would look good in something like a Serpa that allows a bit of the slide/barrel to hang out, but then again I can see the upside to having something that covers more.

Also, I am partial to two-tone guns. I just think that if it's done right (kept proportionate) it can look really good. I went in today and was looking at some of the offerings at Sportsman's Warehouse, and the more I look at it, the more I like two-tone 1911's that have the frame a stainless color and the slide is blued/black. I'll have to go to Specialty Sports this week and check out some other options (Kimber's mentioned and SA 1911's) as Sportsman's selection was limited.

On a final note, I was looking at the new Ruger SR40 while I was there and, while I don't think it's good to wear polymer when dressing well, I have to admit that the stainless version they had up there would probably look pretty decent in a leather or Kydex holster that showed most of slide.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I think that it's these conversations that get us to think about it more and will, at least for me, help me decide what to wear to special occasions. Maybe the next thread can be "What to Wear for a Wedding" lol.

Gunslinger

Check out Specialty Sports for the best selection. I prefer SS upper and dark lower on a two tone, like my SIGs, but either looks good. Specialty is more expensive than Sportsmans, but has one of the best 1911 selections I've seen. Don't overlook the internet, either. Buds or Gallery both have good selections.

sultan62

Mine? Ruger GP100 SS 4" with a three slot pancake holster I'll wear crossdraw and dual speedloader carrier on the way.

Gray Rider

Plainly elegant

While I usually carry an S&W revolver, nothing shows "class" better than my blued 1983 Browning High Power worn worn with a FIST horsehide cordovan belt/holster/magazine pouch combo.

since9

Campaign Veteran
...what is the gun that looks to the sleekest, highest class, that has good stopping power and can be worn with just about everything?

My carry weapon of choice: CZ 85 B. It may not be the sleekest or highest class overall, but it's definately tops in both categories among the guns I own.

It's not too ugly, but I know it doesn't look the best, especially after almost a year of carry behind it with all the bumps and nicks it's received.

Earlier this morning, I held an M-1 Carbine. It was well-maintained, but had definately seen action (bumps and nicks, etc.)

I thought it was one of the most beautiful weapons I've ever seen.

sultan62

My carry weapon of choice: CZ 85 B. It may not be the sleekest or highest class overall, but it's definately tops in both categories among the guns I own.

I'm looking heavily at the CZ 2075 RAMI .40 as my next purchase. Problem is, I can't find them anywhere so I can even hold one, much less shoot. Do you have any experience with the 2075?

shotcop

Dress gun?

My dress guns (two) are the ones I shoot best with and feel most comfortable employing if necessary. That said, you can't go wrong with the 1911 if you train with it and put in the time. It's easy to accessorize with interchangeable grips etc. Black on black gun and holster is a classic. Although I used to be a utility fanatic ie stainless and composite (such a classy way to say plastic), as I grow older deep slow rust blueing and warm wood become my taste.