• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-rights bills need your support - Letters are waiting for you to send.

azcdlfred

Yesterday, March 2nd, SB 1201 passed out of the House Committee of the Whole (COW) and is scheduled for a Senate Third Read today, March 3rd. There is still time to contact your Senator. A letter for SB 1201 has been prepared and is waiting to be sent by you at AzCDL’s Action Center.

SB 1201 is the AzCDL-requested bill that, in essence, says that if a state or local government building or event is going to post a "no firearms" sign, then security measures must be in place to ensure that no one is capable of bringing in a firearm without detection.

Other letters waiting for you in AzCDL’s Action Center are for HB 2146 and HB 2645.
Both bills are scheduled for House COW debates today, March 3rd.
There is still time to contact your Representatives.
HB 2146 Letter
HB 2645 Letter

HB 2146 is the AzCDL-requested bill that would remove the burden from the Department of Public Safety (DPS) to approve CCW training courses, training organizations, and instructors.

HB 2645 is the AzCDL-requested bill that would prevent local governments from prohibiting the sale of a forfeited weapon to a business authorized to resell it under federal, state, or local laws.

Also schedule for debate in the Senate COW today is SB 1610, a bill that would establish the Colt Single Action Army Revolver as the state firearm. If you would like to send a comment to your Senator about SB 1610, go here.

SB 1391, a bill that would authorize and direct the governor to enter into interstate compacts with other states that have a “Firearms Freedom Act” like the one that was passed last year in Arizona, is also scheduled for a vote in today’s Senate Third Read. If you would like to send a comment to your Senator about SB 1391, go here.

Over in the House, HB 2140, a bill that would prohibit rental/lease agreements and HOA association documents from requiring a person to waive their right to bear arms, is scheduled for a vote in the House Third Read today. If you would like to send a comment to your Representatives about HB 2140, go here.

In other news, SB 1469, a bill that would strengthen the statutes regarding the justification of the use of force, passed out of the House COW on March 1st. We are waiting for it to be scheduled for a Third Read vote.

A list of the firearms and self-defense related bills, along with links, that AzCDL is monitoring can be found at our website.

Sonora Rebel

Rep Peggy Judd sez she supports both in her replies to these ltrs today.

Last edited:

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Maybe some Hoplophobes will stay away from Arizona!

I just read thru the responses... Where are these people from? Jeeez~! I left a response. I don't usually do that.

A lot of those comments are really insane. Those people must watch a lot of television. It is scary that we have that many delusional people willing to post their delusions on the record!

vanman80

Did My Part (finally) :)

Well after much skepticism I finally applied for a Family AZCDL Membership. The reason for my initial reluctance is that I thoug the AZCDL was just like another "compromising-with-the-enemy-NRA", organization, but it looks like I was wrong. It looks like AZCDL cares the money works! My state gets better and better! I must say that it looks lately like I am living in the free-est state in the Union.

azcdlfred

Well after much skepticism I finally applied for a Family AZCDL Membership. The reason for my initial reluctance is that I thought the AZCDL was just like another "compromising-with-the-enemy-NRA", organization, but it looks like I was wrong. It looks like AZCDL cares the money works! My state gets better and better! I must say that it looks lately like I am living in the free-est state in the Union.
Welcome aboard!

I probably have your membership in the stack sitting behind me on my desk. With over 4,000 members and growing, I spend most of my days processing memberships, but with all the other things I'm doing, it takes about 4 weeks to get your card to you.

Fred

Notso

Campaign Veteran
If I read correctly, sounds like the campus carry bill has been drastically watered down. Carry only allowed on sidewalks on campus. Is that right? What's the use in that?

azcdlfred

If I read correctly, sounds like the campus carry bill has been drastically watered down. Carry only allowed on sidewalks on campus. Is that right? What's the use in that?
I'm working on an AzCDL alert about this that will go out later today.

This is a glass half-empty or half-full scenario. In order to get support, the bill was amended to allow anyone to carry on any public right-of-way on a campus, which is more than just sidewalks.

It's not everything we want, but we can support it. Remember, Constitutional Carry started with a small change to the CCW laws 5 years ago. We're in it for the long haul. In the case of Campus Carry, we have nothing under current law. Right now, only criminals can carry on campus. With SB 1467, anyone can carry in the public areas. That's an improvement.

Fred

Last edited:

Notso

Campaign Veteran
Just read your AZCDL alert. Yeah, I guess it's better than nothing. Or course, now we'll get to hear the Brady Bunch crow for a year on how they stopped it, even if they only stopped part of it. I also noticed the amendments convention bill got defeated. Where did the spine in the legislators go?

Thanks for all your work!!

Last edited: