• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Serbu Gun Giveaway

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Not a VCDL member yet? Here's a good reason to join.

From today's VA-ALERT:

VCDL Executive Member Ed Levine made arrangements with Serbu Firearms to receive a BFG-50 to be given away to a lucky VCDL member at Lobby Day on Monday, January 16, 2012!!!

"That's not a gun. THIS is a gun!"

The Serbu BFG-50 is a .50 BMG single-shot rifle which weights 22 lbs, has a 29.5 inch barrel, and is 51.5 inches long. The barrel is made of match-grade alloy steel with a 1:15 twist.

The gun has a highly effective "Shark Brake" muzzle brake, and AR-15 trigger and safety, a custom hammer, a spring loaded firing pin, a Picatinny rail, and a bipod!

It has a parkerized finish with a trigger pull of 4 lbs.

You can see a picture of the gun here (SCOPE IS NOT INCLUDED):

http://serbu.com/top/bfg50.php

Retail value of the gun is over $2,300!

Here's the gun in action as Ed shoots it for the promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF8WVEoeDQw

To be in Ed's drawing for this gun, you must be a current member of VCDL as of December 1st, 2011 at midnight. If you haven't joined the group or renewed your membership yet, now is the time!

Here are the rules:

http://ed.cx/vcdl/

A special thanks to Mark Serbu of Serbu Firearms for this extremely generous donation. And thanks for Ed Levine for coming up with the idea and working with Serbu to arrange the donation!

A lucky VCDL member will win this Serbu at Lobby Day - perhaps it will be you!

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I've been thinking of getting a super shorty fot home defense for a while now.
You can shoot mine someday. :)

sign.jpg

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
oh, the hand wringing, hahaha

Man Ed, you've done it this time, the libtard anti-gunners are in a tizzy:

Dear friends of the Million Mom March against gun violence,

When you hear the gun lobby campaign for the right to keep and bear arms, it is normal to think of this as referring to handguns for personal protection or rifles and shotguns for hunting game and birds, but I would like to draw your attention to a class of weapons that many people do not know exist, outside of the military. I am talking about .50 caliber ( .50 refers to the ½” diameter of the bullet) rifles designed around the .50 caliber (BMG 50) cartridge, originally designed in the late 1910’s and used by our military since 1921. (The BMG stands for Browning Machine Gun and the 50 is the caliber).

To give you an idea of the size of a .50 caliber cartridge, here is a picture that says it all. The BMG 50 is on the left!

As you can see, this is a HUGE cartridge that propels an equally huge bullet with a muzzle velocity of just over Mach 2.5 or 2,800 feet/second (minimum – there are faster versions!)

I found this description of the power of BMG 50 ammunition:

A common method for understanding the actual power of a cartridge is by comparing muzzle energies. The Springfield .30-06, the standard caliber for American soldiers in both World Wars and a popular caliber amongst American hunters, can produce muzzle energies between 2000 and 3000 foot pounds of energy (between 3 and 4 kilojoules). A .50 BMG round can produce between 10,000 and 15,000 foot pounds (between 14 and 18 kilojoules) or more, depending on its powder and bullet type, as well as the rifle it was fired from. Due to the high ballistic coefficient of the bullet, the .50 BMG's trajectory also suffers less "drift" from cross-winds than smaller and lighter calibers, making the .50 BMG a good choice for high powered sniper rifles.

The cartridge comes in a variety of variations including armor piercing, tracer and incendiary. There is even one that has all three of those characteristics.

The primary military use of this round is in the Browning M2HB heavy machine gun.

The U.S. Coast Guard uses .50 BMG rifles to disable outboard engines from armed helicopters during interdictions. Similarly, .50 BMG weapons have attracted attention from law enforcement agencies; they have been adopted by the New York City Police Department as well as the Pittsburgh Police. If it becomes necessary to immobilize a vehicle, a .50 BMG round in the engine block will shut it down quickly. If it is necessary to breach barriers, a .50 BMG round will penetrate most commercial brick walls and concrete cinder blocks.

In addition to long-range and anti-materiel sniping, the U.S. military uses .50 BMG weapons to detonate unexploded ordnance from a safe distance. The Raufoss Multipurpose round has sufficient terminal performance to disable most unarmored and lightly armored vehicles, making .50 BMG caliber weapons helpful in anti-insurgency operations.

You may be wondering why I am telling you all this, about a weapon that was clearly designed for military use during warfare. The reason is that the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) has decided to give away a single shot BFG 50 rifle(shown below) to one of their members and to present it to the lucky winner on the next VCDL “lobby day”. I believe that is on Martin Luther King day 2012, the same day that the MMM and Virginia Center for Public Safety traditionally hold a vigil for Virginia’s gun violence victims. Perhaps the lucky winner will choose to carry this new possession into the General Assembly building to lobby for more “gun rights”.

(This rifle is designed to fire the BMG 50 ammunition.)

I would argue that this weapon has very limited practical use for a civilian. Since the bullet can travel up to 4 miles, I can’t see any practical value for this as a home defense weapon, unless the owner is being attacked by hostile forces in armored vehicles. At practical hunting distances, this weapon would almost obliterate its target and most gun ranges are not equipped to handle a weapon of this power for target practice. Clearly the VCDL has decided to give away a weapon that is so extreme it can only be intended as a message to the gun violence prevention community that exemplifies the VCDL’s strength and influence.

To be fair to the VCDL, this is a “legal” weapon and they have every right to conduct raffles among their members. The winner will have to pass a background check in order to receive the gun from a licensed dealer, but what really bothers me is that an organization that supports second amendment rights would choose to give away such a ridiculous weapon and to do so in such an intimidating fashion. How can they expect average Virginians to take their actions seriously when they resort to such extremes? I can’t imagine that our Founding Fathers would agree that such a weapon has any place in the hands of civilians.

I would urge any of you that are as offended by this as I am to contact your state representatives and tell them about this “raffle”.

If you would like any more information about this issue, please contact me by email or by phone on 804-527-4385.

Best wishes
Andy Goddard
President, Richmond Chapter of Million Mom March against gun violence

Baked on Grease

Man Ed, you've done it this time, the libtard anti-gunners are in a tizzy:

So... Andy Goddard is one of the moms in the million mom march? Funny name for a woman.

So they freely admit that guns are primarily used for self-defense, but ignore the other major use for them? That is, that some guns are just plain FUN, and are meant to serve no other purpose imo.

I also take offense from her (his?) implication that someone would march into the GA carrying this rifle to intimidate the legislature. Reprehensible to say the least and shame on him (her?) for suggesting something so grotesque.

Sent using tapatalk

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
The Goddard letter said VCDL was giving this away in an "intimidating fashion." Is anyone here intimidated by free giveaways? I think not. Well, he did provide his contact information. I think we should all let him know how we feel about this. :D

Repeater

The Goddard letter said VCDL was giving this away in an "intimidating fashion." Is anyone here intimidated by free giveaways? I think not. Well, he did provide his contact information. I think we should all let him know how we feel about this. :D

Appears the hoplophobe was intimidated by the picture of a girl ready to fire the rifle. So of course, Andy projects his mental issues onto everyone else.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Does one have to live in Virginia to become a member? I like that unpractical gun. :D

Not only is there no restriction on where you live, VCDL takes advantage of evil anti-gun PayPal (*cough*spit*) for processing your membership fee. Yes, everyone knows PayPal (*cough*spit*) is evil, but the irony of paying your membership to a gun rights organization through them does warm the remaining cockle in my heart.

Come on in! The water's fine!

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So... Andy Goddard is one of the moms in the million mom march? Funny name for a woman.

So they freely admit that guns are primarily used for self-defense, but ignore the other major use for them? That is, that some guns are just plain FUN, and are meant to serve no other purpose imo.

I also take offense from her (his?) implication that someone would march into the GA carrying this rifle to intimidate the legislature. Reprehensible to say the least and shame on him (her?) for suggesting something so grotesque.

Sent using tapatalk

Andy testified about the BB gun law, that he had hunted the wee beasties with one(my poking fun at his furin accent:banana:) and they could easily kill someone. The whole damn family's nuts!

Last edited: