• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Outdoor target practice laws

amtilton17

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew the laws regarding firing a handgun on your own land and knew where I could look up the laws. I have a friend who has neighbors on either side, relatively close, but a great deal of woods, which are unowned, directly the rear of his property. I was wondering if it is legal to do some target practice into those woods? Thanks.

67GT390FB

Free land???

I NOTICED THAT TOO. Believe me somebody owns that land possibly even a local state or fed gov. It is I repeat it is not your new private park. Every year we have this problem with our huntclub properties.

Now as to shooting if you stay on your property and build a back stop and your local ordinaces do not prohibit disharge of a firearm in your type of zoning then you should be ok.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
----snip---- directly the rear of his property. I was wondering if it is legal to do some target practice into those woods? Thanks.

All other considerations aside, this would seriously violate one of the basic rules of gun safety - Know your backstop - what is beyond your target?
http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp!

"Shooting into the woods" would disregard the potential unintended consequences of such action. Is there a hiker there for example. Each of us are responsible for where our shots go - modern ammunition can travel a great distance with destructive results. A safe backstop guarantees that no one will get hurt.

Baked on Grease

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew the laws regarding firing a handgun on your own land and knew where I could look up the laws. I have a friend who has neighbors on either side, relatively close, but a great deal of woods, which are unowned, directly the rear of his property. I was wondering if it is legal to do some target practice into those woods? Thanks.

IANAL, but from my understanding if you can garuntee that no bullets cross into someone elses property, you're ok. That means have a really good backstop and don't aim high. Recomend not shooting towards housing should go without saying.

Sent using tapatalk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
IANAL, but from my understanding if you can garuntee that no bullets cross into someone elses property, you're ok. That means have a really good backstop and don't aim high. Recomend not shooting towards housing should go without saying.

Sent using tapatalk

It's ^^ a trap!

Some counties have laws on the books restricting discharge of firearms regardless of "garunteeing" no bullets cross property lines and all the other safety things you might think of. That's why I referred the OP to MuniLaw. We still don't know where he's from, but are probably all presuming it's somewhere in Virginia. As it could just as easily be deepest darkest NOVA as it could be Far Southwest, giving out general pronouncements carries some danger. Better the OP does his due dilligence and confirms things.

stay safe.