• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Great Debate- Virginia- To Tuck, or not to Tuck

lil_freak_66

ive always felt that Clyde is a nice, literate guy. very supportive of civil rights.

he was doing the virginia tuck with a .40 glock subcompact at his election party i went to on tuesday, he expressed his displeasure over MI law with me about why the holster hidden under my shirt was empty(no carry w/o cpl in places that sell alcohol w/o permission) i think he would have been a great sheriff, at least compared to wrigglesworth.

this week ive carried at CADL Holt, game hits, steak n shake, lowes, menards and for a walk around holt.

Raggs

ive always felt that Clyde is a nice, literate guy. very supportive of civil rights.

he was doing the virginia tuck with a .40 glock subcompact at his election party i went to on tuesday, he expressed his displeasure over MI law with me about why the holster hidden under my shirt was empty(no carry w/o cpl in places that sell alcohol w/o permission) i think he would have been a great sheriff, at least compared to wrigglesworth.

this week ive carried at CADL Holt, game hits, steak n shake, lowes, menards and for a walk around holt.

Huh?

Michigander

Yes, you are correct fozzy. The Virginia tuck was because IWBing with the portion above your pants not covered is considered OCing in Virginia, and OCing used to be required there to carry in places that sold alcohol for on site consumption. Being as the VCDL successfully had that changed, it is now an antiquated term. :)

HKcarrier

THIS is the VIRGINIA TUCK:

Blade-TechRazorSeries.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by SpringerXDacp

Clothing "tucked" behind holster.

Actually, no. The Virginia Tuck is carrying in an exposed IWB.

And Clyde who I have seen many times Mexican carries his Glock *shudders*

That might be the description of the Michigan Tuck, but it doesn't properly describe the Virginia Tuck.

When transitioning from CC to OC from either IWM or OWB by tucking the garment behind the grip/holster so as to fully expose the normal visibility = Virginia Tuck.

Your not from around these parts (Va) are you. :p

DSCN2442.jpg

Last edited:

griffin

What you have shown above is normal open carry. All parts of the firearm and holster are exposed. Your own Virginia gun forums describe the Virginia tuck as IWB with grip exposed.

http://vagunforum.net/carrying/concealed-carry-question-t4538-41765.html
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...s-discussions/126654-virginia-tuck-tgifs.html
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...-when-concealed-carry-becomes-open-carry.html
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?104024-Virginia-Tuck-as-I-know-it

This is Virginia Tuck, is it not? You take a normally concealed firearm (IWB) and expose the grip to avoid anti-CC laws.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is called normal open carry. All parts of the firearm and holster are exposed. Your own Virginia gun forums describe the Virginia tuck as IWB with grip exposed.

http://vagunforum.net/carrying/concealed-carry-question-t4538-41765.html

Virginia Tuck is open carry - that is the point of it. Whether "all parts" are visible or not means nothing. In Virginia the test is that it be recognizable as a gun and not hidden from common observation. http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

The sole part that satisfies the definition for Virginia Tuck is the manner in which the transition is made from what would be CC to OC.

I used the Virginia Tuck today when I tucked my leather jacket behind my holstered 1911 when I entered a restaurant for dinner. When I took my jacket off, I was still OCing. Both conditions of OC are very normal here in Virginia.

In the previous picture, the man's gun would be hidden if his T-shirt were not tucked behind it. While the holster would likely project out, the gun would be "hidden from common observation" = CC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

This is Virginia Tuck, is it not? You take a normally concealed firearm (IWB) and expose the grip to avoid anti-CC laws.

attachment.php

Nope that is definitely not Viginia Tuck. That is simply inside the waist band OC in Virginia - there is no "tuck."

xmanhockey7

Virginia Tuck is open carry - that is the point of it. Whether "all parts" are visible or not means nothing. In Virginia the test is that it be recognizable as a gun and not hidden from common observation. http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

The sole part that satisfies the definition for Virginia Tuck is the manner in which the transition is made from what would be CC to OC.

I used the Virginia Tuck today when I tucked my leather jacket behind my holstered 1911 when I entered a restaurant for dinner. When I took my jacket off, I was still OCing. Both conditions of OC are very normal here in Virginia.

In the previous picture, the man's gun would be hidden if his T-shirt were not tucked behind it. While the holster would likely project out, the gun would be "hidden from common observation" = CC.

In Michigan it is a gray area and it is typically recommended to NOT open carry that way unless you have a CPL and are not in a place listed under 28.425o.

griffin

Nope that is definitely not Viginia Tuck. That is simply inside the waist band OC in Virginia - there is no "tuck."

That's why I quoted all the firearms forums including Virginia forums. They all state that is Virginia Tuck. The whole point is IWB-OC is an oxymoron. Part is concealed, part is OC. That's where I got the picture, from them discussing it. I thought it came about from transitioning into previously CC-banned areas like bars. You just move your shirt behind the handle, and your CC weapon is now visible. What you show is traditional OC that people in 44 states do. There's nothing special about it.

I have seen no one call VA Tuck what you do. Got any cites or forum posts describing it the way you do?

But hey, what do I care?

griffin

In Michigan it is a gray area and it is typically recommended to NOT open carry that way unless you have a CPL and are not in a place listed under 28.425o.
People in Virginia have been arrested for IWB-OC for carrying concealed, just like Michigan.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That's why I quoted all the firearms forums including Virginia forums. They all state that is Virginia Tuck. The whole point is IWB-OC is an oxymoron. Part is concealed, part is OC. That's where I got the picture, from them discussing it. I thought it came about from transitioning into previously CC-banned areas like bars. You just move your shirt behind the handle, and your CC weapon is now visible. What you show is traditional OC that people in 44 states do. There's nothing special about it.

I have seen no one call VA Tuck what you do. Got any cites or forum posts describing it the way you do?

But hey, what do I care?

People in Virginia have been arrested for IWB-OC for carrying concealed, just like Michigan.

Oh really - all of the firearms forums all state? Exaggerate much?

Pray tell us in your own words what you think Virginia Tuck is.

IWB-OC is not an oxymoron under Va. law. http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

Agree that there is nothing special about it, it just is a convenient transition. Insofar as other cites - can I quote you? You just defined it the same way. Virginia Tuck has been consistently defined/described by VCDL in the same manner as I have done. I beleive a VCDL member coined the expression.

Arrested for IWB-OC in Va. Please cite.
Not withstanding that, someone can be arrested for anything........even pointing their finger conversationally. That individual was charged with Brandishing, though he never touched, gestured or referred to his OC handgun. I have seen someone charged with carrying a concealed weapon when OCing, but never heard of someone being arrested for OC when carrying concealed in Va. - you see OC is legal w/o a permit.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

For what's it worth, why are we arguing the Virginia tuck in the Michigan forum?

My two cents: I have seen the phrase "Virginia tuck" used to describe both IWB-OC and tucking a shirt behind the gun, it has been applied more to the latter, me thinks.

griffin

Oh really - all of the firearms forums all state? Exaggerate much?
I'm not sure to what you are referring, other than maybe you misunderstood my reference to normal, legal OC in 44 states (or whatever the number is).
Pray tell us in your own words what you think Virginia Tuck is.
IWB carry with handle showing (your shirt is tucked behind the handle).
Virginia Tuck has been consistently defined/described by VCDL in the same manner as I have done.
Cite?

Here is a thread in vagunforum.net that describes VA Tuck just as I did, and many people are discussing it including a former LEO who is a current firearms instructor and stated The Virginia Tuck concept has been hotly debated for a long time. There is no clear cut answer as Virginia Tuck is not a rule of law. As a former LEO, and now a civilian who CC's daily, I could see it viewed either way. I always advise my students that if you need to OC, do it in a dedicated OC holster to avoid that grey area.
Arrested for IWB-OC in Va. Please cite.
That same thread mentions someone who was doing the Virginia Tuck and a LEO arrested him for CC because half of his gun was concealed.
never heard of someone being arrested for OC when carrying concealed in Va. - you see OC is legal w/o a permit.
That's what I was talking about, being arrested for CC because half of the gun is hidden.