• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First negative OC comment.

websterz

I was getting a key made at WalMart when a customer noticed my 1911 and mentioned he saw lots of OC when he lived in Arizona but hardly ever in Oklahoma. The guy making my key looked at my gun and got all snooty "I don't think anyone but police should be allowed to carry guns in here!" Fine...whatever you want to think buddy. If the shooting ever starts and the cops aren't here don't expect ME to save your dumb ass.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I was getting a key made at WalMart when a customer noticed my 1911 and mentioned he saw lots of OC when he lived in Arizona but hardly ever in Oklahoma. The guy making my key looked at my gun and got all snooty "I don't think anyone but police should be allowed to carry guns in here!" Fine...whatever you want to think buddy. If the shooting ever starts and the cops aren't here don't expect ME to save your dumb ass.

He needs to be reminded by his store manager that he is not entitled to his opinion, which is known to be contrary to Wal-Mart corporate policy, and especially to so rudely give it to a paying customer. We really should not let things like this slide.

Last edited:

glock22oc

I also had someone make a smart a## remark last night. I had went out with the wife and kids to Mazzio's to eat the pizza buffet. After eating and heading for the door, I stopped in the isle to let an old lady walk by. My gun side (Glock 22 FDE in a Serpa) was towards a guy setting in a booth. After the old lady passed by, I was walking away when I heard him say "Nice! Why dont you just stick the damn thing down my throat". I didn't even respond to his comment and just walked away. He had also gave me the stink eye every time I walked past his table to refill my plate at the buffet. We were getting into our car when I saw him and his family come out and get into a car with California plates. I guess that explains his bitterness. He must be related to Dianne Feinstein. :D

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I heard him say "Nice! Why dont you just stick the damn thing down my throat". I didn't even respond to his comment and just walked away. He had also gave me the stink eye every time I walked past his table ...

I guess he just proved that nice guys openly carry guns, and a-holes don't. Society was in balance at that point in time.

websterz

I also had someone make a smart a## remark last night. I had went out with the wife and kids to Mazzio's to eat the pizza buffet. After eating and heading for the door, I stopped in the isle to let an old lady walk by. My gun side (Glock 22 FDE in a Serpa) was towards a guy setting in a booth. After the old lady passed by, I was walking away when I heard him say "Nice! Why dont you just stick the damn thing down my throat". I didn't even respond to his comment and just walked away. He had also gave me the stink eye every time I walked past his table to refill my plate at the buffet. We were getting into our car when I saw him and his family come out and get into a car with California plates. I guess that explains his bitterness. He must be related to Dianne Feinstein. :D

Sounds like he needs to head back west where he belongs.

Maverick9

Best thing to say, besides nothing is 'See, that's why the Constitution is great, everyone's entitled to their opinion and generally to express it, just as everyone is entitled to protect themselves and their family. Yay, America, right?'. If he scowls then he risks being anti-'Murican. :)

godlessdustin

I was in the grocery store a few weeks back when I heard what I could only describe as your stereotypical "meth head" on an electric scooter making rude comments to his wife about how I was a certain part of the female anatomy for carrying a gun. I paid him no attention and just walked away. I think he was just jealous because I was wearing my good shirt and my G17 so I was looking pretty slick. :cool:

Gary S

Can I ask you what Wal-mart you were shopping at? I have some keys I need copies of and it sounds like that's the store I need to go to. Thank you.

Glock 1st fan

Well I had one tell me that one time when I was open carrying. I then politely replied "You dont see the uniform?" Of course that was years ago. :-D

SigPro

So are the negative reactions few and far between? I've only been carrying for a few days (literally!) I've been concealing but really like the idea of OC, but have just been kinda nervous about having it out there. Given the current political environment, have people made a fuss about openly armed civilians just going about their day? I would really love to hear about more of your interactions with the random people, to help me make a more informed decision about OC. I'm sure I'll eventually just not care about what people say...

Glock 1st fan

So are the negative reactions few and far between? I've only been carrying for a few days (literally!) I've been concealing but really like the idea of OC, but have just been kinda nervous about having it out there. Given the current political environment, have people made a fuss about openly armed civilians just going about their day? I would really love to hear about more of your interactions with the random people, to help me make a more informed decision about OC. I'm sure I'll eventually just not care about what people say...

Well to be honest with you its not so much people are intending to be negative its just that Open Carry is still new. Up until recently the word gun alone was enough to send people running as if the devil was after them. But as the older generation is moving up in years we are seeing the younger generation come in to call and they are seeing first hand the crimes of the land. Rapes, robberies, murder you name it kids are being exposed to it more then ever.

With this in mind as these kids become adults they are realizing more then ever that the only way to fight crime is to simply stop it where it starts and thats when the crime is committed.

Having been in fire fights I can tell you they are nothing anyone should even hope to be in but when they do seconds really count. I can draw a firearm and present it faster then I can dial 911 let alone wait on the police to get there minutes later.

Overall most people are coming to realize this and as a result its becoming more appreciated and accepted then ever before in history. There are though still the holdouts who believe that showing a criminal love and compassion will make the world a safer place.

websterz

I have open carried every single day since it became legal to do so in OK and have had just today's one negative experience. On the other side I have had hundreds of positives. It's worth having to put up with one jerk IMHO.

SigPro

Well to be honest with you its not so much people are intending to be negative its just that Open Carry is still new. Up until recently the word gun alone was enough to send people running as if the devil was after them. But as the older generation is moving up in years we are seeing the younger generation come in to call and they are seeing first hand the crimes of the land. Rapes, robberies, murder you name it kids are being exposed to it more then ever.

With this in mind as these kids become adults they are realizing more then ever that the only way to fight crime is to simply stop it where it starts and thats when the crime is committed.

Having been in fire fights I can tell you they are nothing anyone should even hope to be in but when they do seconds really count. I can draw a firearm and present it faster then I can dial 911 let alone wait on the police to get there minutes later.

Overall most people are coming to realize this and as a result its becoming more appreciated and accepted then ever before in history. There are though still the holdouts who believe that showing a criminal love and compassion will make the world a safer place.

I want to thank you for the very well put reply! I will say that I'm part of the younger generation, being probably one of the few 21 year olds that cares more about protecting myself,my family and others more than I care about partying or being young and stupid. That is actually how I celebrated my birthday, by having my entire family unit go and get our CCW. I whole heartedly agree that children are being exposed to these terrible acts. My mom, is a 5th grade teacher in a low income district, and her students go home and deal with abuse, drugs, gang violence etc... and it just kills me to think about someone that young, has already been put into those situations. I feel like our society idolizes the thug life and has lost our strong American core values. Being raised in a single parent home, taught me to really respect the older generations, and to be that outstanding young man that the world would need. I feel like I've rambled on way longer than i needed to... I will say this, my grandpa always said to me when I was growing up, "You should never have to dial 911, 357 is much faster."

SigPro

I have open carried every single day since it became legal to do so in OK and have had just today's one negative experience. On the other side I have had hundreds of positives. It's worth having to put up with one jerk IMHO.

Awesome! The more I read the more comfortable I feel about it! Honestly sounds like the guy was jealous of that 1911! I think that will be my next aquisition... Any recomendation for a reliable budget full size 1911?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Awesome! The more I read the more comfortable I feel about it! Honestly sounds like the guy was jealous of that 1911! I think that will be my next aquisition... Any recomendation for a reliable budget full size 1911?

The Ruger SR1911 is my pick of the sub-$800 guns. My friend in Oregon has one has confirmed everything I like about it.

And while I'm not a Remington fan, their R1 is a quality gun for the money, as well.

My Springfield Armory Mil-Spec is still a favorite for its no-frills reliability and nearly authentic look/feel, with just the needed reliability enhancements and better sights over the GI pistol.

SigPro

The Ruger SR1911 is my pick of the sub-$800 guns. My friend in Oregon has one has confirmed everything I like about it.

And while I'm not a Remington fan, their R1 is a quality gun for the money, as well.

My Springfield Armory Mil-Spec is still a favorite for its no-frills reliability and nearly authentic look/feel, with just the needed reliability enhancements and better sights over the GI pistol.

I was just looking at the R1 today, Haven't yet looked at the Springfield... I sadly don't know as much as I would like to, about 1911's. I've been reading and get all confused with the ramped and non ramped barrels, and the terms like match grade... All I know, is that I got to shoot a Wilson Combat a few months ago and bassically fell in love with everything....except the $4000 price tag.... lol I know I want to get something that I don't have to upgrade much to get that same performance and feel.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Sigpro six months from now you will not remember what it was like to NOT be armed and Open Carrying. The "wow factor" will fade for you, but not so much for others. The people you see in your daily parade already know you as a human. Now the will see you as the same man, but Armed. You will be an ambassador to OC whether you want to or not. People will see your confidence and approach you to ask "How can I be like you?" It is truth mate.

Glock 1st fan

Sigpro six months from now you will not remember what it was like to NOT be armed and Open Carrying. The "wow factor" will fade for you, but not so much for others. The people you see in your daily parade already know you as a human. Now the will see you as the same man, but Armed. You will be an ambassador to OC whether you want to or not. People will see your confidence and approach you to ask "How can I be like you?" It is truth mate.

So true. I wear my carry instructor shirt and open carry. I have found this to be the best advertisement. People see I can teach the carry classes and they see I am carrying so they instantly become interested!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I was just looking at the R1 today, Haven't yet looked at the Springfield... I sadly don't know as much as I would like to, about 1911's. I've been reading and get all confused with the ramped and non ramped barrels, and the terms like match grade... All I know, is that I got to shoot a Wilson Combat a few months ago and bassically fell in love with everything....except the $4000 price tag.... lol I know I want to get something that I don't have to upgrade much to get that same performance and feel.

Well you are not going to get match accuracy (1" or less in 25 yards) and combat reliability without that price tag. Why do you need match grade? There's nothing wrong with a loose 1911 that is reliable but only shoots 4" groups at 25 yards.

A match gun is designed for that level of accuracy because you will shoot one round every ten seconds or so and make it a perfect shot every time. You simply don't need that precision for a sidearm.

Last edited: