• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Terrible Decision

EMNofSeattle

So, you are ok with justice being both blind and amoral. Great.

morals vary from person to person. no two people will ever agree on everything when it comes to amoral, that's a debate that won't be solved on this forum.

making a claim that "courts are more often wrong then right" needs to be appropriately qualified.... in that a courts word is by definition right until the law is amended or a higher court reverses....

sudden valley gunner

[/COLOR]

There is our sticking point.

If you read the whole paragraph that opens page 9, you will note they refer to Gunwall, A case about cocaine possession - nothing to do with the Second Amendment. They partially quote The Court's reasoning in Gunwall. The quote in question could also be written like so: "We observed (in Gunwall) that where the United States Constitution is a grant of enumerated powers, the Washington Constitution is a limitation on the otherwise plenary power of the state."

You see? That whole paragraph must be read in the context of Gunwall. The Court is establishing a basis for their reasoning in Jorgenson by referring to Gunwall.

I read the whole paragraph, I read the whole decision. :rolleyes: Apparently you didn't read my whole post about the BOR.....

sudden valley gunner

Citizens grant the Federal government some limited powers and assigned rights. It used to be by consent, now... not so much.

The State has no plenary powers. It does not even posses the plenary power to exist, unlike real people. If it cannot posses the power to exist (justly anyways), then all powers it has are temporarily assigned.

Courts are wrong more often than they are right.

Spoken like a true believer in the modern invention of legal positivism.

+1 on both accounts.

Some just worship at the alter of the state. They will insist on believing it is top down and that is the way it supposed to be.

Dave_pro2a

[/COLOR]

There is our sticking point.

If you read the whole paragraph that opens page 9, you will note they refer to Gunwall, A case about cocaine possession - nothing to do with the Second Amendment.

Drug prohibition, gun prohibition. Not a logic huge leap to make, for the nanny state.

XD45PlusP

Yep, erasing due process. The judges had an opportunity here to protect our rights instead they protected statism.

I noticed their belief the federal 2A is a granted right.....

I noticed their concentration on state rules and policing power contrary to article 1 section 1.

Yes,

Notice how the 2nd is subject to "Intermediate Scrutiny" and Article 1 Sec 7 is subject to the Police Powers of the state. Silly ****......

deanf

I read the whole paragraph, I read the whole decision. :rolleyes: Apparently you didn't read my whole post about the BOR.....

I did. We agree on that.

I want to make sure I understand your position. You believe that "We observed that where the United States Constitution is a grant of enumerated powers," means that the court thinks the rights listed in the BOR are actually "powers" and that they are granted?

Difdi

If the second amendment grants us rights rather than prohibiting government interference in an existing right, then I'd have to point out that the first amendment uses nearly identical language. If one such granted right can be ungranted, then any granted right can be. Like the right to freedom of expression or the right to due process of law.

For that matter, any right secured by a federal constitutional amendment can be read that way if the second can be.

deanf

If the second amendment grants us rights rather than prohibiting government interference in an existing right, then I'd have to point out that the first amendment uses nearly identical language.

But that's not what The Court said in this case, so it's nothing to worry about in the context of this case.

sudden valley gunner

I did. We agree on that.

I want to make sure I understand your position. You believe that "We observed that where the United States Constitution is a grant of enumerated powers," means that the court thinks the rights listed in the BOR are actually "powers" and that they are granted?

They made it look like it was a grant to the federal powers it is not.

Dave_pro2a

They made it look like it was a grant to the federal powers it is not.

To be fair, courts often write 'garbage' because it's quick and easy.

The odds are pretty good this was written by some drunk law clerk. The judges may have signed off on it without hardly reading it because they just wanted to get on the links and toss a few back themselves.

Y, srs. ;)

sudden valley gunner

To be fair, courts often write 'garbage' because it's quick and easy.

The odds are pretty good this was written by some drunk law clerk. The judges may have signed off on it without hardly reading it because they just wanted to get on the links and toss a few back themselves.

Y, srs. ;)

LOL....true dat....+1