• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are you carrying that firearm?

zack991

Not only because it is my right to open carry, I also worry about my familys safety from rape, murder, and theft. Seeing that you are not carrying it would be a good guess you don't respect your rights or your family's safety. Have a great day.

SlackwareRobert

Unfortunately, you probably don't have the time to give a long thoughtful answer, so you need short and sweet so you have time to get it all out while you are being thrown to the ground. Once the boot is on your neck it is hard to speak legibly. So a catchy phrase is all you pobably have time for.

Mr H

Because sometimes a firearm is just a firearm.

Freudy-cat...

;-))

In Maryland, we don't get a chance to answer the topic question.

But, as an academic exercise, this has been an interesting read.

I suppose my answer would be something along the lines of, "Because, if the kaka hits the blower, no one else will protect my family and me. You're welcomed to hide behind me."

Haz.

There is nothing more exhilarating than to be threatened by a criminal with evil intent, without result. I have carried this gun for many years in the hope that it would one day have its chance.

Last edited:

MatieA

I was in Sam's Club in Cheyenne yesterday and had a guy ask me if I really thought it wise to carry a firearm around his daughter. I replied absolutely. He then asked "How do I know that you aren't going to go crazy and do something stupid"? My reply: "You don't, but I also don't know if you might decide to go nuts and do something stupid; the difference is that I will be better able to deal with you if you do because I am armed". He grunted and left.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I was in Sam's Club in Cheyenne yesterday and had a guy ask me if I really thought it wise to carry a firearm around his daughter. I replied absolutely. He then asked "How do I know that you aren't going to go crazy and do something stupid"? My reply: "You don't, but I also don't know if you might decide to go nuts and do something stupid; the difference is that I will be better able to deal with you if you do because I am armed". He grunted and left.

Nice response on your part. You could have also queried him as to why he doesn't love his daughter enough to take measures to protect her.

MatieA

Nice response on your part. You could have also queried him as to why he doesn't love his daughter enough to take measures to protect her.
I realized this while I was telling my wife about the encounter specifically because the encounter happened in the Mens room and the daughter was plenty old enough to take care of business on her own which means to me that he was afraid to let her go alone into the Ladies room. You know, they say hindsight is 20/20....................

grinner

For protection. To take personal responsibility for my family's safety - to not have the illusion that I have delegated my safety to the police, when it is not the police's responsibility to prevent anyone from hurting me.

Peace of mind. To not have to live in the illusion that everyone is a law abiding citizen who wouldn't harm innocent people, when we know bad guys are more common than we'd like to think.

Frankly, because I'm a single guy who's in the dating world. How do I know for sure when I first meet a woman that she's not married, or involved with someone, or being stalked, or whatever? I never know when a jealous ex-boyfriend or someone will freak out on me because they think I've done something wrong. I've seen this scenario multiple times with my friends. It's even on the ADT home security TV commercial.

To be prepared for an emergency. Same reason I carry jumper cables in my vehicle and a few extra dollars in my wallet.

Last edited:

rotty

why ?

I walked into a tobacco shop yesterday in Burnsville, MN and the Friendly visibly shaken middle eastern man behind the counter looks down and sees my Glock on my hip and in a shaky voice asks " are you policeman ? "
I answered no, why do you ask? (knowing full well why he is asking)
He says " you can't carry gun like that "
I responded with " of course I can, I am an american citizen and I have the right to protect myself. "

Conversation OVER.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I realized this while I was telling my wife about the encounter specifically because the encounter happened in the Mens room and the daughter was plenty old enough to take care of business on her own which means to me that he was afraid to let her go alone into the Ladies room. You know, they say hindsight is 20/20....................

What I find amazing (actually, what never ceases to amaze me) is this. We don't infringe upon others with comments like, "Why don't you carry a gun? You're out and about with your children and you are not armed. Are you nuts?"

Yet some have no compunction to ask us what are we doing carrying a firearm in public, or worse in their mind, around their children. Do I see a contradiction working here? Where do these people get off thinking they can assert their opinions and ire in our direction but if we were to turn the tables on them with similar comments, we'd be viewed as a little off our rocker.

The other thing that gets me (and this one really gets me), is the fact that some people are perfectly willing to chastise us about going armed to the point that we should accept our fate in the event an extreme encounter takes place. They would rather we sacrifice our lives on the alter of what they consider to be "civilized behavior", then to have us go armed and prepared for evil by having the tools we choose for our defense.

Perhaps they don't care about their lives or the lives of their "loved ones". I do. And I don't and won't suffer the acts of fools who are willing to trust their lives to chance.

trooper46

What I find amazing (actually, what never ceases to amaze me) is this. We don't infringe upon others with comments like, "Why don't you carry a gun? You're out and about with your children and you are not armed. Are you nuts?"

Yet some have no compunction to ask us what are we doing carrying a firearm in public, or worse in their mind, around their children. Do I see a contradiction working here? Where do these people get off thinking they can assert their opinions and ire in our direction but if we were to turn the tables on them with similar comments, we'd be viewed as a little off our rocker.

The other thing that gets me (and this one really gets me), is the fact that some people are perfectly willing to chastise us about going armed to the point that we should accept our fate in the event an extreme encounter takes place. They would rather we sacrifice our lives on the alter of what they consider to be "civilized behavior", then to have us go armed and prepared for evil by having the tools we choose for our defense.

Perhaps they don't care about their lives or the lives of their "loved ones". I do. And I don't and won't suffer the acts of fools who are willing to trust their lives to chance.

For me it all depends on the tone of voice and body language. If they are polite and just genuinely curious about why I choose to OC. I'm happy to educate them. But if it's one of those "why are you carrying that gun" (with a how dare you tone). I'm not quite as nice as others on here with their funny one liners.......the only answer their gonna get is...... none of your damn business.

B

Bikenut

A very wise woman, my very special Yooperlady, made the following remark earlier today and I quote her:

"The police don't come out to protect you.... they come out to gather your remains." unquote.

eye95

Why do you answer the way you do?

[This post is not an answer to any particular post in this thread.]

What is your motivation?

Are you trying to get a laugh?

Are you trying to feel superior to the person who asked you the question?

Are you trying to make the person who asked feel stupid?

Are you trying to get a rah-rah from fellow OCers?

Or...

Are you trying to help others learn?

Are you trying to change the heart and mind of the person who asked?

Are you trying to change the hearts and minds of those who were listening, were also curious, but were afraid to ask.

I implore you to choose your response based on the last three motivations. Keeping those reasons in mind will help us interact with the non-OCing public in such a way as to promote the widespread acceptance of OC, to remove some of the barriers, and to increase the ranks of OCers.

That is a far superior outcome than feeling smug, having cemented the anti-gun attitude of the person asking, and having planted an anti-OCer attitude in the hearts and minds of those around you who overheard your smart-ass answer.