• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Lobby Day, Monday, January 17, 2011 - Richmond, VA - FACEBOOK Link Too!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Was this for the VCDL meeting or for lobby day? Wondering if I should bring my stuff...

The meeting TJ.

The video's and photo's as well as audio makes some members nervous in the small forums (Including dinners), so I've stopped doing them.

Lobby day is different. By all means, bring your gear. I sure am!:D

Any chance yiu are coming on the 4th? I could use some help.

Last edited:

t33j

Peter was saying that he would not be videoing the Dec.2nd VCDL meeting - he was not referring to Lobby Day.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't like to bring along a camera setup worth 2 or 3 times one of my guns, to leave it unattended in my car if its not needed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't like to bring along a camera setup worth 2 or 3 times one of my guns, to leave it unattended in my car if its not needed.

Keep both on or about your person.

The really big story will be told in the parking lot and at the lunch following. There will be plenty of photo and video ops.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
:)
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ed
See other attendee's on:

PM sent.

UglyGun

Guys, if ya haven't gone to one of these before, PLEASE go this time! Don't worry if you don't know what to do, what to say or id you don't even know anyone there. Just walk up to someone wearing a Orange "Guns Save Lives" Button/Sticker, introduce your self and let them know this is your first time. I grantee you that they will either point you to the people who can help you, help you them selves or say I'm new too, lets go find some help! SOMEONE will get you hooked up with a group and, if nothing else, all you need to do is stick with that group and watch, listen and learn. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

By all means, if you have the time, find out where a group is going after the event for food and fellowship and tag along. You WILL be welcome! At the end of the day you will have met some real good people, learned a lot about how the local government works and made some new friend.

If you need a ride, ask around on the forums. Someone is bound to be either coming from or through your area and you can usually work out a ride.

Well said Hero.

I'll be making my first trip this year. I live halfway between Charlottesville and Lynchburg on RT 29. If anyone needs a driver or a co-pilot, please PM me.

IanB

Cross posting Lobby Day breakfast info:

Greeting netizens:

I am happy to announce the 4th annual OCDO Lobby Day breakfast which will take place... wait for it.... wait for it.... on LOBBY DAY Jan 17th.

So, come out, have some waffles and coffee with friends and meet folks you've only known via the OCDO interwebz. The breakfast draws patriots from all corners of VA, you're sure to meet someone interesting at your table, unless you sit with Skidmark... then you're sure to be bored. And he might drool on you. You've been warned!

The details:

Jan 17, 2010 @ 7:00AM
River City Diner
803 E Parham Rd

Richmond, VA 23227

http://tinyurl.com/5dtbkl (Google Maps /w street view of front of resteraunt)

No need to RSVP, just show up.​

riverrat10k

Went last year.

But not sure how much time I have to contribute.

Gotta do the Surry thing, and possibly appeals. Kinda grasss roots vs. big picture. Gotta go for the individual from my moral standpoint . Feel free to disagree.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
But not sure how much time I have to contribute.

Gotta do the Surry thing, and possibly appeals. Kinda grasss roots vs. big picture. Gotta go for the individual from my moral standpoint . Feel free to disagree.

Darn shame when work gets in the way of our wants, isn't it. :D

wylde007

Darn shame when work gets in the way of our wants, isn't it. :D
I am almost convinced that the government wants it that way.

If we had more time to defend our rights - rather than slaving for the system - they would not have nearly the luxury of time that they do to pass the onerous legislation which we are forced to sacrifice the comforts of our own lives to fight.

So, umm, yeah.:D

Old Virginia Joe

Been to this shindig the last two years. Both times, disgusted at the number of legislators who were "in a meeting," or wherever, and "unable" to see us in their offices. I say we need to bring it to light, that citizens travel to talk with them, at their offices, on "Lobby Day," and many go hide elsewhere, AND THEY GET AWAY WITH THIS EVERY YEAR!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Been to this shindig the last two years. Both times, disgusted at the number of legislators who were "in a meeting," or wherever, and "unable" to see us in their offices. I say we need to bring it to light, that citizens travel to talk with them, at their offices, on "Lobby Day," and many go hide elsewhere, AND THEY GET AWAY WITH THIS EVERY YEAR!

In most cases their legislative aids were available, and they do listen and carry they do deliver the message. Have to admit, that our group saw about 90% of those on our list. That and word spreads by our sheer numbers.

Understand too that there are committee meetings and other things happening at the same time.

Old Virginia Joe

In most cases their legislative aids were available, and they do listen and carry they do deliver the message. Have to admit, that our group saw about 90% of those on our list. That and word spreads by our sheer numbers.

Understand too that there are committee meetings and other things happening at the same time.

That's my point.....Why are ANY meetings scheduled on "lobby day?" Is it just lobby day for the citizens, but NOT for the elected representatives? That's like one spouse observing a wedding anniversary, but as far as the other spouse is concerned, it is just another day to go fishing (withOUT the spouse)! This is a seriously lopsided relationship we have with the representatives. Who exactly is it that has declared this Lobby Day in the first place? Imagine you going to your child's school for Open House Night, to meet the teacher, and finding out the teacher is in a teacher training session, so you have to just settle for meeting the teachers aide. Equally as ridiculous, isn't it? I would not accept that from my local school---Why does VCDL accept this from the General Assembly, every year? I challenge that 10 percent absent figure as well.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
....... Who exactly is it that has declared this Lobby Day in the first place?.............. I challenge that 10 percent absent figure as well.

My understanding of how Lobby Day came into being, and has in fact become an annual event, is that citizen activist groups like VCDL wanting to demonstrate strength in numbers took on this challenge. To my knowledge, there has been no dedication of the day by the GA, nor do I think there needs to be a suspension of government functions for this to continue to be effective. Could some politicos be more accessible? Surely, but they are after all "politicians."

Not sure why anyone would "challenge" my personal experiences. There were reports of others seeing everyone on their list.

Lobby Day may not be perfect, but it is singularly successful year after year. We do deliver a message.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My understanding of how Lobby Day came into being, and has in fact become an annual event, is that citizen activist groups like VCDL wanting to demonstrate strength in numbers took on this challenge. To my knowledge, there has been no dedication of the day by the GA, nor do I think there needs to be a suspension of government functions for this to continue to be effective. Could some politicos be more accessible? Surely, but they are after all "politicians."

Not sure why anyone would "challenge" my personal experiences. There were reports of others seeing everyone on their list.

Lobby Day may not be perfect, but it is singularly successful year after year. We do deliver a message.

What GS said!
Just the sheer number of people wandering around the halls with orange GSL stickers makes a big statement.

Three years ago I was in the hall when two Staffers came by. One was obviousely new and asked the other what the Guns Save Lives stickers were all about. The other said "That's VCDL, one of the most powerful lobbies in Va".

Numbers count. It doesn't matter if the legislator is in or not, he knows.