• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Social Media Sites Pose Unique Challenges For Gun Owners

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Social Intelligence Corporation bills itself as offering a service that ‘lets employers and hiring professionals reap the benefits of using social media in making hiring decisions, without the legal risks.‘ It does this by scouring social media sites, searching for information on applicants and then removing all legally impermissible information such as race, religion, national origin, age, sex, familial status, sexual orientation, and disability status.

Of particular concern to gun owners, hunters and shooting sports aficionados however, is the fact that reportedly, any posted pictures containing firearms will flag an applicant as ‘Demonstrating potentially violent behavior’ as illustrated in the actual redacted report below ...

(Excerpt) Read more at http://monachuslex.com/?p=78

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
"Of particular concern to gun owners, hunters and shooting sports aficionados however, is the fact that reportedly, any posted pictures containing firearms will flag an applicant as ‘Demonstrating potentially violent behavior’"

What???? This is like saying someone with a picture of a car is more likely to run you over. Or like saying a picture of a person with a pitbull is more likely to sic his dog on you. No one should be judged simply from a photo because it is difficult to determine the context in which the picture is taken. On the other hand I am not necessarily opposed to companies researching what you post on-online. So long as they use it to ask questions in the interviews and avoid making assumptions. Companies have a right to know who they are hiring and individuals/applicants are putting the information out there for everyone to see.

VW_Factor

Gun owners..

If you use social media, learn your privacy settings.

Hell, anyone who uses social media should learn what their privacy settings are and use them.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I wonder if they report the same for martial artists, fencers, boxers, etc?

Omigod! He's got an epee!! (eh-pay; a type of fencing sword). And, loves fighting others holding a similar weapon! Clearly he likes violence!

Last edited: