• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Congratulations To MKEgal and Joe from Tri-State Self Defense

jpm84092

CONGRATULATIONS !

Congratulations are in order for MKEgal and for Joe M from Tri-State Self Defense. (Some of you have met Joe at various WI Carry events and at my last class where Joe was the fingerprint guy.)

Joe and MKEgal visited the Yellow Cat in Utah this weekend where they both successfully completed the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor Course conducted by Utah BCI, a law enforcement entity that certifies Firearms Instructors. After the course, we all had lunch and went for a drive in the mountains, saw some spectacular mountain sights, and in general celebrated the day.

Joe is a seasoned instructor and the UT Instructor credentials add to his Michigan Instructor credentials and extensive NRA Credentials. MKEgal is new to instructing and over the past few months has earned NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, and UT BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.

After the Yellow Cat visits WI next week to teach, MKEgal will be offering NRA Pistol, UT Concealed Firearm Permit, and WI Concealed Weapon License courses in SE Wisconsin. Joe will be in SE WI on and off to offer NRA courses, UT Concealed Firearm Permit Courses, WI Concealed Weapons License classes, and advanced concealed weapons training including handgun retention and gun-fighting practical exercises.

The Yellow Cat cannot visit Wisconsin as often as he would like, but MEKgal has told me that she intends to carry on the tradition of offering instruction at reasonable prices.

Yellow Cat Out -

XDFDE45

clapping.gif

JJC

CONGRATULATIONS !

Congratulations are in order for MKEgal and for Joe M from Tri-State Self Defense. (Some of you have met Joe at various WI Carry events and at my last class where Joe was the fingerprint guy.)

Joe and MKEgal visited the Yellow Cat in Utah this weekend where they both successfully completed the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor Course conducted by Utah BCI, a law enforcement entity that certifies Firearms Instructors. After the course, we all had lunch and went for a drive in the mountains, saw some spectacular mountain sights, and in general celebrated the day.

Joe is a seasoned instructor and the UT Instructor credentials add to his Michigan Instructor credentials and extensive NRA Credentials. MKEgal is new to instructing and over the past few months has earned NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, and UT BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.

After the Yellow Cat visits WI next week to teach, MKEgal will be offering NRA Pistol, UT Concealed Firearm Permit, and WI Concealed Weapon License courses in SE Wisconsin. Joe will be in SE WI on and off to offer NRA courses, UT Concealed Firearm Permit Courses, WI Concealed Weapons License classes, and advanced concealed weapons training including handgun retention and gun-fighting practical exercises.

The Yellow Cat cannot visit Wisconsin as often as he would like, but MEKgal has told me that she intends to carry on the tradition of offering instruction at reasonable prices.

Yellow Cat Out -

Yellow Cat;

Congrats to Joe and MKEgal on their milestone.
I'm somewhat interested in obtaining the Utah teaching credentials as well. Where can I obtain more information on this subject.

Thank you.

JJC

Last edited:

jpm84092

Yellow Cat;

Congrats to Joe and MKEgal on their milestone.
I'm somewhat interested in obtaining the Utah teaching credentials as well. Where can I obtain more information on this subject.

Thank you.

JJC

You can get all the info you need at: link: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/concealedfirearms.html

It is basically this simple:

1) You must be an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Pistol Discipline) or POST Certified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor before signing up for the Instructor Class.

2) You must already hold a valid Utah Concealed Firearm Permit.

3) Take and successfully complete the Utah BCI Instructor Course (only offered in Salt Lake or Saint George UT and only taught by BCI Personnel).

4) Complete the application and bring to or mail to UT BCI with fee, photo, etc.

5) Wait for Instructor Permit (Instructor Permit applications get expedited)

6) Have official seal made.

7) Teach

Yellow Cat Out -

JJC

You can get all the info you need at: link: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/concealedfirearms.html

It is basically this simple:

1) You must be an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Pistol Discipline) or POST Certified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor before signing up for the Instructor Class.

2) You must already hold a valid Utah Concealed Firearm Permit.

3) Take and successfully complete the Utah BCI Instructor Course (only offered in Salt Lake or Saint George UT and only taught by BCI Personnel).

4) Complete the application and bring to or mail to UT BCI with fee, photo, etc.

5) Wait for Instructor Permit (Instructor Permit applications get expedited)

6) Have official seal made.

7) Teach

Yellow Cat Out -

Thank You for the information. YC.
Working on number 1.
From what I understand my AACFI credentials might be recognized by Utah in the very near future.
If not then I'll need to work on the NRA pistol certification.
So I can offer Utah certification in my classes. (I'm losing clients searching for the Utah permit).

Thank You again for the info.

JJC

jpm84092

Thank You for the information. YC.
Working on number 1.
From what I understand my AACFI credentials might be recognized by Utah in the very near future.
JJC

I do not know where you are getting your information from, but the UT Legislature sets the standard for instructors. It is not done by administrative rule making. Thus, if I were you, I would concentrate on the NRA rating and not hold my breath on a UT recognizing a limited regional training confederation (AACFI).

MKEgal

oh, good grief!

Jim, you've embarrassed me again.
Thank you all for the congrat's & well-wishes.
Yes, I will be offering the UT class at prices that are much closer to those offered in UT than prices usually seen in this part of the US. (Current thinking is $50.)

Very much enjoyed the visit, & even the TSA wasn't as bad as I expected (other than the first guy I encountered in MKE).
The views around SLC were absolutely spectacular. (Even out his front window.)
I want to go back when there's not snow on the road & take a motorcycle on some of the mountain roads.

ETA: BTW, I'm not exactly new to teaching, just to teaching firearms safety.

Last edited: