• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stranger at my house today.

Will.40

My neighbors had the cable man over at their house today (we live basically in the middle of nowhere) while my sister was home alone. after he was down there he pulled up to my drive which connects to the neighbors. my sister just walked out of the garage and was getting in her car when this man who she said was in a unmarked black van stopped and tried to borrow her cell phone in which she replied no i'm leaving right now..my sister had told me at that point he looked suspicious,and while he asked this he himself was holding his own phone:confused: then he just sat and stared at her so she got in her car and locked the doors but he would not let her back out the drive for about 5 minutes.when he finally moved she went straight to the neighbors and went inside, only the daughter was home and she said he had made some forward comments to her and had commented on some possessions around the property and was acting weird. both me and the neighbors have contacted the cable company about the incident. I have tried to get my sister to buy a handgun but she refuses to not because she is against guns but she does not see the need to arm herself. I hope this incident will change her mind. Good for this guy I was not at home when this happened, he was on my property attempting to have a conversation with my sister and then would not let her leave? I think not...

Will.40

Also instead of trying to get her to buy a handgun I've been thinking about buying her one myself. So now I am in the market for a subcompact, something reliable with not alot of recoil and it has to look cute (sisters) haha any suggestions?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Also instead of trying to get her to buy a handgun I've been thinking about buying her one myself. So now I am in the market for a subcompact, something reliable with not alot of recoil and it has to look cute (sisters) haha any suggestions?

You really need her input and desire before "buying her a handgun." They need to fit and fit well. Also, unless she is going to start concealing it right away, try to go with a fuller-size handgun. They are far easier to shoot.

Honestly, try a Walther P22 or PK380. They fit lots of hands, and are very easy to shoot accurately, which is far more important than stopping "power." But get her involved! Take her somewhere to shoot several different models.

Buy her Paxton Quigley's book: Armed & Female.

PistolPackingMomma

I recommend the Sig p238. It even comes in "rainbow".

Will.40

What would you have done if your were home?

Called 911 like your sister should have done?

The neighbors father is a LEO and he was contacted immediately when she got there. If I were there at the time The law would have been notified, his tag # written down and I would have told him to stay put until the authorities arrived. Hopefuly it would pan out okay but any number of things could have happened where my actions could have and would have been different, there is no telling. It is my land and I value my privacy and safety. This guy violated my privacy and how do I know if he is armed or not? I have already had 300 gallons of Diesel fuel stolen off my property, this stuff is really starting to aggravate

beakman

The neighbors father is a LEO and he was contacted immediately when she got there. If I were there at the time The law would have been notified, his tag # written down and I would have told him to stay put until the authorities arrived. Hopefuly it would pan out okay but any number of things could have happened where my actions could have and would have been different, there is no telling. It is my land and I value my privacy and safety. This guy violated my privacy and how do I know if he is armed or not? I have already had 300 gallons of Diesel fuel stolen off my property, this stuff is really starting to aggravate

I know the feeling. I also live in the middle of nowhere, and have also had a few hundred gallons of fuel stolen.

While in any emergency we would call 911, we KNOW it is entirely up to us to protect ourselves. We simply live too far out to count on the police getting here in time to stop anything. I'm guessing 20 minutes would be an average response time in my area, which of course means if that's the average, then half the time it's longer than that. We've had several incidents of late, which is the main reason I started open carrying, as have several other family members (we have 4 homes close together on a very large farm), especially when we're just out and about on our own property. We all know most scum checks out a place before hitting it, so when they drive by a few times and notice 3 or 4 guys carrying even while mowing grass or driving tractors, I think they get the idea to move on. Seems to be working, haven't had as many strangers parked in field entrances, asking for "directions", etc. Funny thing is, since starting OC on the place, mailbox baseball has completely stopped, too! LOL

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The best reason to call 911 is so that they can record your self-defense shooting for you.