• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Functional Flintlock/Percussion Cap Replica Dueling Pistols

mahkagari

Hi all,

This might be the wrong forum, but help me if you can. On my list "to own" are a set of working replica dueling pistols. I'm not an antiquer because I don't want to worry about something's value getting destroyed. I don't see the point of "cool" gun displays that don't function. I know operable replicas exist, but haven't the foggiest where to start looking. Any help?

mahkagari

Thanks. I think part of my problem is looking for "replica" instead of "reproduction". The former seems to mean "stage prop".

daddy4count

You're looking for a flintlock pistol (aka muzzle load pistol)

My neighbor has several. He is a muzzle load hunter and here in WA they have to be flintlock style.

he has three single shot (the style you are likely looking for) and one 5 shot revolver.

He purchased one of them at a local shop which caters to the sport... the other two he bought at Cabelas.

since9

Campaign Veteran
This might be the wrong forum, but help me if you can. On my list "to own" are a set of working replica dueling pistols.

Have you tried Googling "YourHomeTown" and "black powder"? That should bring up a list of stores in your area. The one here in Colorado Springs has a number of black powder pistols and revolvers, some flintlock, some percussion cap. You might not find a "matched pair" complete in a box, but if you find two that you really like, you can always have a display box made. :)

Mine is a .44 cal cap and ball black powder revolver. It was a gift, back in 1993, and ran around $150 back then. These days, an identical model runs around $340. If you want to get pretty, flintlocks with pearl handles, you could easily be looking at more than $1,000 each.