• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun control works in NYC: 46 shot over Labor Day weekend

Dave Workman

Bellevue v. Bloomberg: NYC shootings another gun control failure

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...erg-nyc-shootings-another-gun-control-failure

Yeah, that guy Bloomberg has it all figured out. Take guns away from honest citizens, pass licensing and registration laws, require permits to have guns in home (does this mean no OC in Times Square?)...and 46 people got shot this past weekend to prove it all works.

djlboat

I believe I read that the mayor stated these shootings were the fault of lax gun control laws. I am sure that he honestly believes the BG drove to New Jersey and procured the firearms used at a local gun show loophole. My question is how can I buy a gun from a loophole.

decklin

This report must have it's facts wrong. These shootings must have been commited by law abiding citizens because they are the only ones with access to guns right?

j4l

Spent 15 yr.s in NY. Height of the 80's drug-gang craziness, and violent crimes @ all-time highs. Always baffled me beyond belief that the ONE PLACE where law-abiding folks NEED to be armed to the teeth, they are forbidden to be so..

since9

Campaign Veteran
Spent 15 yr.s in NY. Height of the 80's drug-gang craziness, and violent crimes @ all-time highs. Always baffled me beyond belief that the ONE PLACE where law-abiding folks NEED to be armed to the teeth, they are forbidden to be so..

That describes New Orleans to a "T" during the late-70s when they were, statistically speaking, the murder capitol of the world.

Same problem as D.C. and Chicago: "Guns are dangerous! We must take guns away from The People so they don't hurt one another!"

How did that work for them, anyway? Apparently it was no more effective than Virginia Tech's gun-free zone which deprived thirty-three dead people and the dozens of others who were wounded the right to defend themselves.

I'm seriously surprised one or more of the parents of those who died haven't filed a lawsuit against Virginia Tech for negligence, failing to provide the proper level of security required to keep students safe when they're put into a fishbowl without the means to defend themselves.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
That describes New Orleans to a "T" during the late-70s when they were, statistically speaking, the murder capitol of the world.

Same problem as D.C. and Chicago: "Guns are dangerous! We must take guns away from The People so they don't hurt one another!"

How did that work for them, anyway? Apparently it was no more effective than Virginia Tech's gun-free zone which deprived thirty-three dead people and the dozens of others who were wounded the right to defend themselves.

I'm seriously surprised one or more of the parents of those who died haven't filed a lawsuit against Virginia Tech for negligence, failing to provide the proper level of security required to keep students safe when they're put into a fishbowl without the means to defend themselves.

"Apparently it was no more effective than Virginia Tech's gun-free zone which deprived thirty-three dead people and the dozens of others who were wounded the right to defend themselves."

The number was 32 who were murdered in the Virginia Tech shootings.

Kirbinator

There's some sort of fundamental belief that, if a person is arrested with a firearm in a place where violent crime is common, that the charge can be used with others to "send that person up the river". In other words, to remove the violently criminal element from the neighborhood by force. Of course, nature teaches us that when one predator is removed from an environment, another adapts or grows to take it's place.

For example, kill the wolves, and bobcats fill the gap. Just an example.

The truth of the matter is that it's easier to have a gun in every household as a legal requirement (indeed, the Militia Act of 1792 hasn't been repealed) rather than station police or armed security at every door. As a matter of fact, we had a bone to pick with the British about stationing armed security inside people's homes and requiring them to do so.