• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

advocacy group demands public list of CCW holders

bmwguy11

Sorry if this is old news, but figured I'd mention it just in case.

http://www.weau.com/news/headlines/142399485.html

CHIPPEWA FALLS, Wisc. (WEAU) --The conceal carry law has been in effect for just 4.5 months but already a state advocacy group is saying the law needs to be altered.

The Milwaukee based group Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort or WAVE says it wants access to the list of all conceal carry permit holders.

The Wisconsin Department of Justice says the law prohibits the state from divulging the identity of any concealed carry license holder unless it's necessary in a prosecution.

Sine November 1st, the DOJ has granted more than 83,000 conceal carry permits. It’s denied about two percent of all applications it received, which totals 97,000.

Jeri Bonavia with Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort says she wants to know who is receiving those permits.

“When this law was being discussed we were promised that the people who would get these conceal carry permits would be the most law abiding people in the state. And we want to know whether or not that's true,” Bonavia tells us.

But people we talked to, both those who have a conceal carry permit and one that doesn't, agree that's a violation of privacy.

“I don't think they should,” Martin Brill says.

“Think they don't have the right to do it, think it should be the people's own decision,” hunter and conceal carry permit holder Brandon Beranak says.

Martin Brill volunteers at the Chippewa County Public Shooting Range and doesn't have a conceal carry permit, but he says he still respects the law and the DOJ’s background checks.

“The sheriff's department can't ask anyone if they have a conceal carry when they stop them, why should it be made public,” he asks.

Bonavia says she respects the citizens’ right to privacy but thinks they can find middle ground.

“There does appear to be an association between conceal carry laws and an increase in fire arm homicides. So it's important to know whether that trend is happening here in Wisconsin or if Wisconsin is gong to be immune from that sort of impact,” she explains.

Beranak at Chippewa Hardware and Sporting Goods says background checks are required when you sell a gun and when you apply for a permit. He says if anything citizens should feel safer with the conceal carry law because more law abiding citizens are armed now.

bmwguy11

Bonivia: “There does appear to be an association between conceal carry laws and an increase in fire arm homicides."

L OOOOO L

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Wisc. Stats.Ch. 175 MISCELLANEOUS POLICE PROVISIONS, §175.60 License to carry ...

Wisc. Stats.Ch. 175 MISCELLANEOUS POLICE PROVISIONS, §175.60 License to carry a concealed weapon.

§175.60(12) Maintenance, use, and publication of records by the department.
(a) The department shall maintain a computerized record listing the names and the information specified in sub. (2m) (b) of all individuals who have been issued a license under this section and all individuals issued a certification card under s. 175.49 (3). ...
[ ... ]
(c) Notwithstanding s. 19.35, the department of justice, the department of transportation, or any employee of either department may not make information obtained under this section available to the public except in the context of a prosecution for an offense in which the person's status as a licensee or holder of a certification card is relevant or through a report created under sub. (19).

HandyHamlet

I kind of feel sorry for the WAVE ghoul.

After seeing with my own eyes a line wrapped around the building just to register for the WCIng training class yesterday Jerry's heart must be ready to implode.

Rarely has a cult been so utterly humiliated than WAVE. The CC training class yesterday contained little old ladies who were there alone. Single women. Couples... And the last few weeks the CC licenses distributed has been on the rise. Not decline. "Gun Nuts" my @ss.

Oh well. I am sure The head Ghoul will figure out some way to spend those millions I am sure.

:dude:

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Bonavia says she respects the citizens’ right to privacy but thinks they can find middle ground.

“There does appear to be an association between conceal carry laws and an increase in fire arm homicides."

Even if that were true, which it's not, what possible public safety benefit would come about from her group having access to the list? Law enforcement already has access to it; for a good little statist like her, you'd think that would be enough...

bigdaddy1

I really despise her and her ilk. People that openly lie and alter statistics to suit their own twisted reality should be put in a rubber padded room. They use their twisted facts to procure donations from the weak minded. By intentionally misleading those people that is just like stealing, and they should be treated as thieves.

Cobra469

While they are at it why not make a public list of people with Drivers Licenses, I want to know who these "qualified drivers" are and just how qualified you must be to talk on your cell and drive. Oh...but that would be a violation of privacy you say? Demanding a list of permit holders is the exact thing for the exact reasons. Having a public list will single out people who are law abiding and have done no wrong. A list like that could cause a person to be harassed for their personal beliefs about firearms and the right to self defense.

I currently work at a state building and have seen anti-gun signs that are misleading. I do not decorate my cubicle with NRA instructor gear (even though I thought about a mug) or pro-gun signs as I feel it would be unprofessional. Likewise I am certain that many of my coworkers do not share my opinion about the 2A and I do not wish to get into a discussion with the most vocal and least knowledgeable few. If the subject came up, and it has, I politely state my brief opinion and state that as an NRA Instructor my opinion is going to be quite different from theirs. I sure don't want them to know that I carry my gun into the office on a daily basis (my motorcycle has a plastic trunk, I work at a non-secure state building, and I drive through the core twice daily). If my legal name was on a list it very well could create tension in the workplace.

MKEgal

Cobra469 said:
I sure don't want them to know that I carry my gun into the office on a daily basis.
They will know, as soon as that evil hidden loaded gun exerts its influence over you & causes you to go berserk, rampaging through the building committing mass murder, making blood run in the halls.
[/sarcasm] <----- for those who couldn't tell

There is another thread (at least one) about this newest W"AV"E attention-seeking activity.

The conceal carry law has been in effect for just 4.5 months but already a state advocacy group is saying the law needs to be altered.
Heck, WCI has been saying that since it was passed.
We're still saying it.
Why don't they ever call us an advocacy group?

W"AV"E says it wants access to the list of all conceal carry permit holders.
And I want access to a list of the same information for their members & all financial supporters.

“When this law was being discussed we were promised that the people who would get these conceal carry permits would be the most law abiding people in the state. And we want to know whether or not that's true,” Bonavia tells us.
So watch the news.
I'm sure that any shooting, probably any alleged crime, involving someone with a cc license will be made into a Big News Item whether or not it has anything to do with cc.

“There does appear to be an association between conceal carry laws and an increase in fire arm homicides. So it's important to know whether that trend is happening here in Wisconsin or if Wisconsin is going to be immune from that sort of impact”
Why would we be any different than the other 40-something states with similar or better laws?
The worst that can be said about them, from before having reasonable firearms laws to after they went into effect, is that in some places the rate of violent crime stayed the same. Most places it went down & stayed down.
But I agree, having more armed citizens acting in self-defense would lead to more (criminal) deaths due to an acute failure of the victim selection process.

I can't see that as a bad thing, other than the stress & problems for the LAC.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
I really despise her and her ilk. People that openly lie and alter statistics to suit their own twisted reality should be put in a rubber padded room. They use their twisted facts to procure donations from the weak minded. By intentionally misleading those people that is just like stealing, and they should be treated as thieves.

I read there facebook every so often...they are just as bad as the brady bunch and the joyce foundation...maybe even worse...

XDFDE45

I read there facebook every so often...they are just as bad as the brady bunch and the joyce foundation...maybe even worse...
WAVE gets their funding/grants from the Joyce Foundation. Logic has nor will it EVER come into play with people like them. They don't seem to understand that if you can pass a DOJ background check then you are qualified to own and carry. It's the LAW Jerri, GET OVER IT :cuss:.

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
jeri's just suffering from ccw envy, Her staunch stance as an anti and pride stand in the way of her obtaining her permission slip. Come on jeri just swollow and go for it!

theoicarry

A list like this made public could cost some one their job. Some work places are very anti gun and are scared of the people whom CC.
I know of a business whom found out on employee purchased a gun and they hired a security officer, and called the cops?
Totally a over-reaction:banghead:
Just my opinion.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Bonavia told the Green Bay paper she wants private medical records to be sent to the state also. I wonder if her former husband, a doctor would agree. She has a very dangerous attitude toward the Bill of Rights.

Quote:

"The Department of Justice only can find records related to mental health issues if permit seekers were ordered to undergo treatment in court, but the department should have access to mental health records from physicians as well, Bonavia said."

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...03120496/Access-gun-permit-lists-stirs-debate

bmwguy11

Yea their facebook page is a joke. It is a giant swirling cesspool of paranoia and ignorance and they just feed off each other. It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly foolish and lacking of common sense those people have. It's amazing.

bigdaddy1

Yea their facebook page is a joke. It is a giant swirling cesspool of paranoia and ignorance and they just feed off each other. It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly foolish and lacking of common sense those people have. It's amazing.

I posted on WAVE's page once, my post disappeared faster than a dessert at a fat peoples convention.
:lol:

Superlite27

Someone should request that the personal information and home addresses of WAVE members be released to the public. After all, they shouldn't have a problem with that, right? Shouldn't the public be aware of who, exactly, is requesting CCW holder's personal information in order to ensure that the information isn't being used for nefarious purposes?

They shouldn't have a problem with their personal information being released, should they?

RR_Broccoli

Someone should request that the personal information and home addresses of WAVE members be released to the public. After all, they shouldn't have a problem with that, right? Shouldn't the public be aware of who, exactly, is requesting CCW holder's personal information in order to ensure that the information isn't being used for nefarious purposes?

They shouldn't have a problem with their personal information being released, should they?

Facebook isn't particularly private. They are already spilling all sorts of information about themselves just by using it. Generally, I stay out of political BS on Facebook because for everyday interactions politics just doesn't matter. (Precisely because of what can be gleened given a motivated person. "No guns here!" plus a trickle of personal information will add up to a lot when the bits are put together.