• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there a Pro-Gun church?

anmut

Do you have cit for this.

Handling guns in a safe manner isn’t a problem. I personally have no trouble showing other firearms enthusiasts guns that they haven't seen before.

I have done so thousands of times even ay church one can walk out side and have a safe environment do to so. Especially when the church is on 10 acres in the country.

Your church is on 10 acres? That would be enough for a shooting range I think!

GlockRDH

Not only do they tell their congregations to not allow guns in church, but they actively campaign for gun control. Look at this pamphlet by the Presbyterian Church to understand how rabidly anti-gun they are. It sounds like it was written by the Brady Bunch with all the usual half-truths and false statistics. Here is an excerpt:[/QU

Keep in mind there are 2 main Presbyterian Churches... PCA and PCUSA... PCA tends to be much more conservative in many ways...

As for Baptists...there are MANY varieties of them as well...

Nascar24Glock

Southern Baptists seem good at least in this neck or the woods. I remember our pastor telling the congregation that he had no problem handing out his personal death penalty to anyone who would threaten his home or family.

Independent Baptists churchs are normally pro freedom and firearms use.

I'll concur with these two. At the independent baptist church I attend, they seem to be fairly friendly to carrying. I can confirm that at least one former attendee carried there on a regular basis; and there are probably others as well. As a matter of fact, I didn't initially carry in church when I first got my carry permit. When this came up in conversation, our ASSISTANT PASTOR asked me why I didn't and basically encouraged me to begin carrying in church.

I will admit, though, that this is one location where I have always carried concealed, not openly. And, outside immediate family, I can count on one hand the number of people that know about it.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Your church is on 10 acres? That would be enough for a shooting range I think!

We have shot clays there and some 22lr.

There use be a national guard range less the a half mile away but I see they took the bearms and shooting positions out this summer. It was for years one of the two place in the state the guards used to shoot. Ft. Mc Coy the other.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I'll concur with these two. At the independent baptist church I attend, they seem to be fairly friendly to carrying. I can confirm that at least one former attendee carried there on a regular basis; and there are probably others as well. As a matter of fact, I didn't initially carry in church when I first got my carry permit. When this came up in conversation, our ASSISTANT PASTOR asked me why I didn't and basically encouraged me to begin carrying in church.

I will admit, though, that this is one location where I have always carried concealed, not openly. And, outside immediate family, I can count on one hand the number of people that know about it.

When I OC at church as with most places I say well over 90% of people never noticed.

During construction of are new building we were using the local town hall. That property joins property that we hunt on. My children and freinds hunted their way to church and when the showed up they place their rifles into the corner. Thant brought smiles to many that was about 10 years ago and is still talked about.

This deer season when I showed up for sunday in my normal church going blaze orange and wool pants and 41mag. Some one asked me if I was hunting today I said yes and maybe even during service if a big buck walks across the yard.

MrBubba

The Catholics have finally shown their true colors...That's the end of it for me.

As a Catholic convert, I understand your frustration completely. The Church is so large that I often find myself disagreeing with many in the laity as well as occasionally with the leadership (particularly many of those from the Baby-Boom era whom I affectionately refer to as the "Graying Left"!). This problem is the same as if you thought of all of the protestant denominations as one big protestant church.

It should be noted, however, that firearms are not intrinsically evil and are thus issues of prudential judgement for the voters to decide. The clergy, bishops, and even the Pope can give their opinions on topics like these, but they cannot insist that the laity follow their directives. The right to self defense, and by reason the right to possess the means of self-defense, are natural rights and cannot be prohibited.

I personally choose not to give my money to the bishops' appeals or to Catholic Charities USA because of statements like these. On the plus side, none of the dozen or so Catholic Churches I have attended over the last year have been posted and I have carried legally without any problem. The pastor of my Catholic parish is even a shooter and is very pro-gun.

anmut

As a Catholic convert, I understand your frustration completely. The Church is so large that I often find myself disagreeing with many in the laity as well as occasionally with the leadership (particularly many of those from the Baby-Boom era whom I affectionately refer to as the "Graying Left"!). This problem is the same as if you thought of all of the protestant denominations as one big protestant church.

It should be noted, however, that firearms are not intrinsically evil and are thus issues of prudential judgement for the voters to decide. The clergy, bishops, and even the Pope can give their opinions on topics like these, but they cannot insist that the laity follow their directives. The right to self defense, and by reason the right to possess the means of self-defense, are natural rights and cannot be prohibited.

I personally choose not to give my money to the bishops' appeals or to Catholic Charities USA because of statements like these. On the plus side, none of the dozen or so Catholic Churches I have attended over the last year have been posted and I have carried legally without any problem. The pastor of my Catholic parish is even a shooter and is very pro-gun.

Father Tom down here in Stevens Point was the man that made believe in the church and become baptized in the faith. His homilies are so different than anything I've heard in other churches. But then came the Scott Walker turmoil and, instead of keeping it to himself, he put together a bulletin that told us how all good Catholics believe in collective bargaining. That was my first WTF. Then I attempted to get involved with the Catholic pro-life movement but found out all they do is say the Rosary over and over again out in front of PP. Then more recently the church has been promoting anti-gun rhetoric just like the politicians.

It sucks living in a college town - this place is as backwards as Madison. I'd really like to find a church that has some morals that they stand on and are passionate about. Having a gun range for after mass would just be a bonus!

smithman

If anybody tried to shoot up Fox River Christian Church in Waukesha, they would be quickly ventilated. In addition to those who carry that work in some capacity for the church, there are normal everyday parishioners who are also packing.

Concealed carry classes have been taught on-site in Fall of 2012.
I can tell you for sure that the pastoral staff is all pro-gun.
The yearly men's retreat includes some filling of the air with lead.
The sportsman group supports carrying in addition to shotgun shooting.

oak1971

Ours is not posted. As far as I know, I'm the only one that carries. Small church of less than 50. Conservative Baptist by affiliation, though its been around for many more years as an independent.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Last edited:

GreenCountyPete

I left the catholic church , the bishops openly hostile attitude towards guns and carry was a piece of it, the closing of the local church and the 30 minute drive each way played in , the changing of Sunday school to 2 week nights half my kids would go one night half the other night adding 2 more hours of driving and 2 more nights with supper on the run. the church for all its members lacked much in fellowship we drove to church had mass and people scurried out the door as quickly as they could in spite of several efforts to introduce a coffee hour and after church gathering.
, it was the bishops and popes condemnation of the nuns that they should stop trying to help people and get back to pushing dogma , it was the bishops tone it seemed like he was always scolding us for not dressing up enough for church , not being reverent enough, it all seemed like it was beginning to be just about how showy everything could be and not about being the salt of the earth , it very much felt like the church that feeds the most , cloths the most and gives care to the most people world wide was doing it completely in spite of of it's leadership

very much like being and American we have some of the best workers , best products , safest streets and we seem to do it all inspite of our leadership , that what makes this country go round is good people who want to get up every morning and educate their kids and work build the best product they can and enjoy themselves when they are not working, that makes our country a great place to live , an why it is worth fighting for

the catholic church is a 2000 year old institution repeatedly plagued by the sin of man and the lust for power , that has put itself in bed with unjust rulers many times thru the centuries.
i commend the many who stayed to try and fix it from the inside I hope they will some day , i really thought things were headed in the right direction under Pope John Paul II.

the last Sunday I attended was the Sunday they took the Wine from us , the bishop sent down his decry that wine was supposed to be only for special occasions and feast days , the priest he was a good guy was visibly upset and turning bright red with anger as he obediently read what the bishop had written
it all felt like a punishment sent down because we were supporting local food banks and doing outreach work with our time and talents and not supporting his never ending drive to get a new cathedral built , we didn't need a new building , there were already many churches sitting vacant because he merged and closed them.

I was never any good at blind obedience

in addition to all this my wife who was raised in the church had grown increasingly uncomfortable with it

we found a new church less than a mile from home where the focus is on community outreach and making our community and world a better place to live and celebrating the gifts of god and not about how wicked we are and how repentant we should be constantly , It is close enough that we can participate more and help with their many community outreach programs , including food bank distribution and projects with the homeless

it is not posted , although i have learned that they thought about posting it but decided not to , are they pro gun , no not really the minster and i agree to disagree on that and I am not restricted from carrying

We are Libertarians , our political views don't line up completely with many , it is an extreme view of the world for most. probably not so much for most of you.

Last edited:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Not only do they tell their congregations to not allow guns in church, but they actively campaign for gun control. Look at this pamphlet by the Presbyterian Church to understand how rabidly anti-gun they are. It sounds like it was written by the Brady Bunch with all the usual half-truths and false statistics. Here is an excerpt:

Keep in mind there are 2 main Presbyterian Churches... PCA and PCUSA... PCA tends to be much more conservative in many ways...

As for Baptists...there are MANY varieties of them as well...
Perhaps you missed the subject line of my post where I wrote,
The Presbyterian Church (USA) is anti-gun
That tells you exactly which flavor of Presbyterian I was writing about....

MrBubba

Father Tom down here in Stevens Point was the man that made believe in the church and become baptized in the faith. His homilies are so different than anything I've heard in other churches. But then came the Scott Walker turmoil and, instead of keeping it to himself, he put together a bulletin that told us how all good Catholics believe in collective bargaining.

Despite all the spin and distortion by union activists and the liberal media, the Wisconsin Catholic Conference made up of the bishops in Wisconsin was neutral on the collective bargaining legislation (Act 10) as have been most of the bishops in other states facing these issues. An interesting article about this can be read here (http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/unions-and-the-church).

That was my first WTF. Then I attempted to get involved with the Catholic pro-life movement but found out all they do is say the Rosary over and over again out in front of PP.

The Catholic pro-life movement runs the gamut from prayer only (local parish pro-life committees) to in-your-face protesting (Priests for Life) and from lobbying for consistent incremental political gains (Wisconsin Right to Life) to all-or-nothing, you are either 100% with us or you are 100% against us, radical politics (Pro-life Wisconsin). I have been active in each of these at one time or another. It really depends on how you wish to participate.

Then more recently the church has been promoting anti-gun rhetoric just like the politicians.

Everyone, including the clergy, can say whatever they want about this topic and any other (such as minimum wage, immigration, tax reform, nuclear weapons, school choice vouchers, even capital punishment, etc.) that does not involve an intrinsic evil or can otherwise harm the faith and discipline of the faithful. They cannot insist that the faithful follow their directives (http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/b...nc_01111914_ad-beatissimi-apostolorum_en.html). "People of good will may apply ethical principles and come to different prudential judgments, depending upon their assessment of the facts at hand and other issues" (www.catholicadvocate.com/education/2011/01/issues-for-catholic-voters-2012-edition-13/). The right to self defense, and by reason the right to possess the means of self-defense, are natural rights and cannot be prohibited. Issues that relate to intrinsic evils like abortion or euthanasia, however, are not open for dissent.

It sucks living in a college town - this place is as backwards as Madison. I'd really like to find a church that has some morals that they stand on and are passionate about. Having a gun range for after mass would just be a bonus!

I hear ya! I converted while I was a college student at the UW in Madistan. I was so disgusted by what I saw at that time in the St. Paul's campus Catholic center that I called the diocese and was referred to a more traditional near-campus church, Holy Redeemer. There I was able to meet people who were loyal to the Faith and to reason. Although I now live north of Milwaukee, I am now helping one of the board members there to pick out his first M1911!

PQ36

Good to hear that many churches are safe, even if some are not.

Good to hear of many seeing through false preaching and bad doctrine.

My non-denominational church does not post, and I know others who exercise rights there. Remember, Peter open carried! Peter was never rebuked for carrying, always remember that.

A good resource for Catholics is this site http://www.justforcatholics.org/ It will help explain much of the error in the RCC and point people to the Lord rather than idols, transubstantiation, etc...

2A may not be THE litmus test, but it sure says a lot about just about any group or organization, church or otherwise. If a church is not posted, then fine and good. But if it is, I don't want to be at that one.

The church, in general these days, is definitely falling away at an alarming rate. Stay in the Word and carry on.

EMNofSeattle

SNIP

My non-denominational church does not post, and I know others who exercise rights there. Remember, Peter open carried! Peter was never rebuked for carrying, always remember that.

A good resource for Catholics is this site http://www.justforcatholics.org/ It will help explain much of the error in the RCC and point people to the Lord rather than idols, transubstantiation, etc...

SNIP

That's part of the reason I don't attend catholic church anymore, we had for awhile a priest who preached salvation by grace and some pretty solid biblical doctrine, then he left, and so did I.

I actually need to stop making excuses and find a good solid church.