• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MWAG call for mowing my lawn

Rustin

Good day all. Well a couple of weeks ago i was mowing my lawn while open carrying like i always do. I live in a somewhat family oriented neighborhood next to some crackhouses in a place that is commonly refered to as "the hood"(cheap rent). Anyway I was going about my business mowing the lawn with a tucked in flannel and a pair of jeans when the cops come rolling over and told me they got a man with a gun call. I was somewhat surprised but I guess i kinda knew it would happen sooner or later while open carrying. So I respectfully gave the officer my ID and told him that my gun was registered and I am just mowing my lawn. He asked me why I thought i needed a gun to mow my lawn and I told him that i simply always have it on me. The officer was very understanding thankfully and told me that if I wanted to I could tell him to "pack sand" and that it was my right to carry on my property. I told him I would keep it under a cover garment next time since I have a concealed carry permit and I certainly don't want to "induce panic". By the way I live in Columbus Ohio and I've only posted this on open carry forum for I would probably be called idiotic for open carrying anywhere else. Just wanted some feedback thanks guys.

Badger Johnson

Sorry that happened.

1. I think you are within your rights to request a FOIA and find out the complaint. If the neighbor alleged you were doing something illegal you might have a case for filing a false report;
2. You did not need to give police your ID fercryinoutloud. They came to your HOUSE! You're teaching cops they can demand ID - there's no stop and identify law without suspicion of a crime;
3. The LEO had no right to demand anything - on your property. You could have just told him to go away. Don't teach these cops they can come onto private property uninvited, please.

Glad you weren't injured or taken downtown on a trumped up charge.

Daylen

Panic is the other person's problem if you are acting within your rights. Conforming to others panic simply encourages them to panic over anything they don't like; its encouraging a bad habit.

Rustin

Like I said the officer was understanding and he did wait on the sidewalk for me to approach so i felt there was mutual respect.He asked for my ID, told me that I didn't need to but I gave it to him anyway. I wanted to cordially end the situation without looking like an ahole. I understand that some people who open carry are kind of shock troopers and love to rile the cops but that's not my personality I would like to just mind my own which I understand can be quite difficult if you open carry. Really, if I had the money I would just move to the country and be alright but I need to go to school and live in the city for a while longer. I know that it's my right to carry but it certainly doesn't feel that way!

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Like I said the officer was understanding and he did wait on the sidewalk for me to approach so i felt there was mutual respect. Not all cops are bad! He asked for my ID, told me that I didn't need to but I gave it to him anyway. I wanted to cordially end the situation without looking like an ahole. I understand that some people who open carry are kind of shock troopers and love to rile the cops but that's not my personality I would like to just mind my own which I understand can be quite difficult if you open carry. Really, if I had the money I would just move to the country and be alright but I need to go to school and live in the city for a while longer.

No one intimated that "all cops are bad". What we do want to do is to keep them under control. If we present an ID when not necessary or required, then what is the next step they're going to want to take? Granted, there are a few in the OC movement who just wait for a situation to develop and even some who bate LEO's into a confrontation. I have no use or respect for those types because they are not doing anyone any favors, regards of how someone carries. However, we don't want to give in to any whim that any LEO might have at a given moment just because he wears a badge. We have to maintain the chains on them lest we go down a road from which there is no return.

Frankly, they are on our side until they are not. I also want to keep them on our side, but I too, want them to understand that there are limits and boundaries which are not to be crossed. It would to interesting to know which one of your neighbors reported you and what may have transpired during the call.

Lthrnck

So you gave up your right without as much a a fight..

So you had one person challenge you on your right to Openly Carry and you have relinquished this right by saying you will just cover it up next time.

This is excatly why we are where we are today... fighting to get these rights back. People won't stand up for them, they don't want to make trouble, they cave in and let others dictate their actions.

What if Rosa Parks had just went to the back of the bus, what if Martin had just said,"Well we don't want to upset the public, so everyone go home.

Stand up for what's right ... and Open Carry where ever you legally can.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

Cop sees you on your front lawn, motions you over. He has no warrant. You go in the house and wait until he leaves.

Next he looks you up by your address. I mean, c'mon you don't have to be a detective - he prob already knew your name. (If you go in the house, it's clear you're not hired help)

BUT if you give your ID and the cop keys it in wrong, suddenly you're showing up as a felon and you get cuffed or shot. (It's happened - key in error turns up a guy with similar name and a record).

DON'T help them if you are a law abiding homeowner on his own property. Go inside, call lawyer. Don't talk to the cops. You're teaching them to misbehave, coerce without warrants. It's too easy to get put into the system due to a mistake if you try and do it on your own - esp when nervous. You have ALL the leverage - unlike some poor sap inadvertently walking in a high crime area (RAS) and you gave it up.

$.02

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Ditto about showing an ID.

So Ohio has firearms registration, eh? That is not good.

Ohio has no firearms registration. Those localities that did have firearm registration requirements have lost their authority to require such. I'm not even sure that there is registration on machines guns and such at the state level, but that's not anything I've looked into when I lived there.

* Sorry there William Fisher. I apparently hadn't refreshed the thread to see your reply, when I replied.

Last edited:

nobama

So you had one person challenge you on your right to Openly Carry and you have relinquished this right by saying you will just cover it up next time.

This is excatly why we are where we are today... fighting to get these rights back. People won't stand up for them, they don't want to make trouble, they cave in and let others dictate their actions.

What if Rosa Parks had just went to the back of the bus, what if Martin had just said,"Well we don't want to upset the public, so everyone go home.

plus one!!!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member

Amen!

William Fisher

Ohio has no firearms registration. Those localities that did have firearm registration requirements have lost their authority to require such. I'm not even sure that there is registration on machines guns and such at the state level, but that's not anything I've looked into when I lived there.

* Sorry there William Fisher. I apparently hadn't refreshed the thread to see your reply, when I replied.

Not a problem jmelvin, I often reply to a post not looking to see what others have replied.

Deanimator

The "inducing panic" nonsense has to have the life stomped out of it.

"Inducing panic" is a specific offense with specific elements of the offense under the Ohio Revised Code.

Mowing your lawn while open carrying does not in ANY way meet the elements of the offense, absent some other criminal act.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I told him I would keep it under a cover garment next time since I have a concealed carry permit and I certainly don't want to "induce panic"....

I won't play Monday Morning Quarterback. I'm sure you've thought about it plenty in hindsight with some help from here, but let me add something about this decision. If you follow through and conceal it from now on, you've taught your nosy neighbor that they were right to complain. If you continue to OC, you've taught your neighbor that they were in the wrong, both legally and morally. After all, they called the police, they watched the police interact with you and leave. Now what do you want them to think the next time they see you mowing your lawn?

My other thought was: "You need a permit to conceal on your private property?"

Rustin

Thanks everybody. I understand that I didn't need to give him my ID. I could have just given him my name which I is legally required in OHIO anyway, but he politely ASKED, not demanded. Like I said the officer was respectful and I didn't get the feeling that he was ordering me to do anything in fact he told me I could just walk away but I wanted to be polite to the police who patrol my neighborhood.:p I live on the corner of a 4 way stop so I don't think my neighbors called. The registration part threw me off .I didn't think they had to be registered but I bought it new at A retail gun shop so I figured it was.I haven't really quit open carrying I just don't like to do it so much anymore. I know that I should stand up for my rights but I am literally the only person I have EVER seen open carrying in columbus Ohio and I ride my bike all throughout the city so it's not like I don't get around. and I meant to edit out that "not all cops are bad!" part out it just sounds condescending , :banghead:sorry. Now I kinda feel stupid for bringing it up, people painting me as some benedict arnold for not fighting tooth and nail for my rights and telling this nice officer to eff off , but hey that's what the internet is all about anyway;).

Last edited:

Rustin

My other thought was: "You need a permit to conceal on your private property?"[/QUOTE]

LOL!:lol: I meant to say that I told him I would probably cover it up next time because I could. In retrospect I shouldn't have made that comment but now I am wondering if you do need a permit to conceal on your own property?!? Also if you have the time and inclination to witness the clown of a politician that is our mayor type in Mayor Coleman Uzi on youtube and you'll probably realize why some of the people in columbus are so ignorant when it comes to firearms.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Thanks everybody. I understand that I didn't need to give him my ID. I could have just given him my name which I is legally required in OHIO anyway, but he politely ASKED, not demanded. Like I said the officer was respectful and I didn't get the feeling that he was ordering me to do anything in fact he told me I could just walk away but I wanted to be polite to the police who patrol my neighborhood.:p I live on the corner of a 4 way stop so I don't think my neighbors called. The registration part threw me off .I didn't think they had to be registered but I bought it new at A retail gun shop so I figured it was.I haven't really quit open carrying I just don't like to do it so much anymore. I know that I should stand up for my rights but I am literally the only person I have EVER seen open carrying in columbus Ohio and I ride my bike all throughout the city so it's not like I don't get around. and I meant to edit out that "not all cops are bad!" part out it just sounds condescending , :banghead:sorry. Now I kinda feel stupid for bringing it up, people painting me as some benedict arnold for not fighting tooth and nail for my rights and telling this nice officer to eff off , but hey that's what the internet is all about anyway;).

"Now I kinda feel stupid for bringing it up, people painting me as some benedict arnold for not fighting tooth and nail for my rights and telling this nice officer to eff off"

No, no... you did right for telling your story because other folks here as well as yourself, learn from this and we all have the opportunity to share and discuss things. You may have just surfaced something someone else was curious about.

As for your "wanted to be polite to the police who patrol my neighborhood" comment, I completely understand and appreciate that. We have a lot of police presence in our neighborhood, not because there is an on-going crime issue (there isn't) but because I live in a very small town and the local police have no trouble patrolling the entire town each hour. If they see you on a regular basis, I doubt if they would need or care to see an ID (I don't know anyone who carries an ID when mowing their lawn, anyway). I should think they would just say something like, "Sorry to bother you but we received a call about someone with a gun at this address. Just thought we'd come by and make sure all is well... take care".

Once again, please don't feel anyone here was chastising you or berating you for your actions. Hell, I bet some of them might do the same under similar conditions since they'd most likely be caught off guard anyway. You can bet I'd never be rude to any one of my local police, that is without reason, since I might need them one day.

Rustin

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I should mention (not that it really matters) that I am 22 and still have alot to learn. With so many varied thoughts on the matter I am glad I brought it up to gather a different perspective or two. This can only help me to make more informed decisions in the future regarding our (seemingly) dwindling right to carry openly!

hermannr

Rustin, you did ok, except..your firearm is "legal" not "registered". and,,,, Even in TX, on private property, you can OC. If your OC bothers someone, let them come over and talk to you. You can educate them.

BTW: I am not sure I would have surrendered my ID, or not. Personally, I rarely carry any ID on me unless I am operating an automobile. It is really ease to say, "sorry, I don't have any ID on me, didn't know I needed any when I am at home on my own property"...however, that is strictly a personal thing that goes with the particular circumstance. I would never tell a officer to "pound sand" though. Peace and respect will get you a lot farther. That does not mean to fall down and kiss their feet, just calm and non-confrontational...you can always correct wrongs done in court.

You can educate no-one by concealing your carry like a criminal that is ashamed of it or afraid someone might find it. When you mow you lawn next, do as you prefer to do, OC. I cover my carry for no-ones "comfort", I OC for my comfort and will contiue to do so as long as it is a legal option.

Soon enough the police will tell the callers there is nothing illegal about your mowing your lawn while you are OC you firearm and you will have made life simpler for everyone in your town.

Last edited: