• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ab 246

bmwguy11

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/proposals/AB246

Relating to: resisting officer while armed with or threatening to use a dangerous weapon.

I want to take this opportunity to point out that if this bill were signed into law, our friend currently in jail would be facing a FELONY CHARGE. Me and several others brought this up when this bill came through, but some people didn't understand what the problem was. Well, the current situation once again illustrates exactly what the problem was. All an officer has to do is say you were resisting or obstructing, and if you are armed, you just got charged with a felony. While my representative voted against it, and brought up our concerns about the bill, it passed anyways. However, there is one good thing. It has no senators as sponsors, which gives us a better chance to stop it.

The bill is now in senate committee, so we need to reach out to our 2A supporters there and make them aware of how this new law can be abused to cause grief to citizens who are lawfully carrying. This new law, while the intent is good, only makes it easy for bad cops to abuse it. (sorry folks this is the real world, and there are "bad" cops out there who do things like this) The long and short of it is that a "bad" cop can take any minor crime and turn it into a felony with this law.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/commpages/IndividualCommittee.aspx?commid=505

I suggest we reach out to the senators in the committee where they can stop this bill! We luckily have senator Grothman who is about the best 2A supporter you can get. I'll catch his ear next time I see him, or I'll call his cell. But let's take action!

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Yes, She Could Have Been Charged If This Were Law....

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/proposals/AB246

Relating to: resisting officer while armed with or threatening to use a dangerous weapon.

I want to take this opportunity to point out that if this bill were signed into law, our friend currently in jail would be facing a FELONY CHARGE. Me and several others brought this up when this bill came through, but some people didn't understand what the problem was. Well, the current situation once again illustrates exactly what the problem was. All an officer has to do is say you were resisting or obstructing, and if you are armed, you just got charged with a felony. While my representative voted against it, and brought up our concerns about the bill, it passed anyways. However, there is one good thing. It has no senators as sponsors, which gives us a better chance to stop it.

The bill is now in senate committee, so we need to reach out to our 2A supporters there and make them aware of how this new law can be abused to cause grief to citizens who are lawfully carrying. This new law, while the intent is good, only makes it easy for bad cops to abuse it. (sorry folks this is the real world, and there are "bad" cops out there who do things like this) The long and short of it is that a "bad" cop can take any minor crime and turn it into a felony with this law.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/commpages/IndividualCommittee.aspx?commid=505

I suggest we reach out to the senators in the committee where they can stop this bill! We luckily have senator Grothman who is about the best 2A supporter you can get. I'll catch his ear next time I see him, or I'll call his cell. But let's take action!

I agree. I also wrote my rep and senator to not support this and to stop it. Now that we have one of our own in custody she most likely would have been charged using this (statute). Anyone still think this is a great idea? Anyone? Let's hear from all those that think this was and is a great idea.

wild boar

Where in the hell are...

...they posting these bills for open hearing, this is a new one. Much like AB 237, only this will kill any permit/ license you have. Are Milwaukee police using video on stops? I don't know what to do, gain an inch, loose a mile. This has to stop, we have no outlet in the local Medea, there has to be something. It may be best if we go under ground for our planning, and discussions from now on. I've been keeping a running total of guests on this site, and they out number members 6.47 to 1. boar out. :cuss:

Last edited:

wild boar

What could be more important...

Rep Vos, First it’s AB237 9-0, now it’s AB246 9-0. Seven of the nine who voted on this unopposed bill are republicans. What are you people doing? I want an answer to what is going on, if this gets fast tracked, even if not by your definition on the phrase fast tracked, we’ll be cleaning house. When was the Public hearing date posted for the hearing that took place on 10-6-2011? Are you even aware of the text in this bill, and what it means? Another police power grab, only this time it’s felonies the assembly is after. This bill is clearly aimed at legal gun owners, as there are plenty of laws on the books now to deal with repeat offenders, just not enough good Justices. I would hope that, first, you let me know what your doing about the further progress of AB 246, second, why was this bill aloud to even get this far without opposition, and finely third, WAKE UP!!!!! I want the notice of hearing date, where it was posted, and where will future hearings be posted! If I came across a bit harsh…GOOD! Boar out.

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
We Hashed This One Out A Few Weeks Back..

...they posting these bills for open hearing, this is a new one. Much like AB 237, only this will kill any permit/ license you have. Are Milwaukee police using video on stops? I don't know what to do, gain an inch, loose a mile. This has to stop, we have no outlet in the local Medea, there has to be something. It may be best if we go under ground for our planning, and discussions from now on. I've been keeping a running total of guests on this site, and they out number members 6.47 to 1. boar out. :cuss:

Dennis, this one went back and forth in an old thread a few weeks back with a few of us on this site actually supporting it. Most of us thought 246 was horrific and still do. I wrote my legislators and got one reply. If these bills become law what good is the Bill of Rights? And yes, I saw the the Republicans voted for these bills AND some of them were supporters of Constitutional Carry. Mainly I think at committee they are not READING the bills, just passing them out of committee with no fore thought. They are a bunch of "Pelosi's" if you ask me. "We have to pass this bill so we can find out what's in it." Morons.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Guest is how an internet crawler spider 'bot logs in.

I've been keeping a running total of guests on this site, and they out number members 6.47 to 1. boar out. :cuss:
Guest is how an internet crawler spider 'bot logs in. On another much smaller less active forum there are always about a hundred guests logged.

wild boar

I know nothing...

Guest is how an internet crawler spider 'bot logs in. On another much smaller less active forum there are always about a hundred guests logged.

...of these common entities you mention. I do know there is a lot of outside interest in our beliefs. Concerning AB-237, as of 8-30 there remained four coauthors in assembly, and (R) senator Wanggaard as cosponsor. To date all but one coauthor remains, along with Senator Wanggaard the lone cosponsor. I may be wrong, but I believe this to be a good indication AB237 is dieing. That's two republicans that want the law to allow arrest for a forfeiture violation. I'm trying to work my way through this maze they call Governmental' Procedure,but this is no picnic.

I know this can, and does, make me a pain in the ass.., but I just won't take a "wait and see" attitude, I just can't, I care to much. Who here should I stand in line with before taking action, as I do little good on my own. boar out.

kemo

Called my senator Holperin and his office answered and they sounded concerned about the misrepresentation of this bill. I also call my Rep Tom Tiffany and of course his office never answers. Holperins office did state that the bill did pass the assembly.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Yeah, it passed the assembly. :mad: I talked to my rep before the bill came up but they acted like I might be a little paranoid about it. I emailed them with MKEgal's story from the JS today, partly as an "I told you so" I must admit, as I had used that type of example. I think now, after it's too late, they have an idea of how it could be abused. I'm now trying to get on Sen Schultz about it but haven't gotten a hold of him yet.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member

paul@paul-fisher.com

I sent this to my Senator:

Senator Kedzie,

This bill is now in the Senate. When it was in the Assembly, I thought I might just be getting paranoid in my old age, however, since police agencies like the Milwaukee Police Department use whatever they can to trample the rights of legal gun owners, I would ask that this bill be killed in the Senate

What it will do is allow police to charge otherwise lawful firearm carriers with a Class-I felony if they offer any resistance, even verbal. So.... if for example, I was let's say, at a Culver's in Madison and was legally open carrying and an officer did not have reasonable articulatable suspicion and demanded my ID and I refused, I could be charged under AB 246.

Another example could of happened this past weekend. A friend of mine was sitting minding her own business and the MPD came up and put her in jail for obstruction of justice because she refused to ID herself even though the WI Supreme Court has said that obstruction cannot be charged just because someone refuses to ID themselves. If this law had been in place, they would of charged her with a felony.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/133725628.html

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/133715608.html

Please do NOT support this bill.

Thanks!

--

Paul L Fisher