• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

E checked in Lodi today

JJ

So I returned home today after spending a couple days in South Lake Tahoe. Glock 20 on my right, two 15 round mags on my left.

While riding my Goldwing motorcycle through Lodi on Kettleman Lane I saw him too late. A bike cop parked on the right pointing his radar gun at me. Crap. My wife of twenty years had two requests of me during my trip, and one of them was "don't get a ticket, we can't afford it". (because she just paid HER $222 speeding ticket!)

So Officer Freeman pulls out behind me and displays all his pretty lights to me. Double crap, wifey is not going to be happy and I'm surely about to be violated. I pull off Kettleman to the right onto a side street and stop in a very small patch of shade very close to the curb. Officer Freeman pulls in behind me, in the sun.

Although I am wise enough to have my voice recorder strapped around my neck, I was not smart enough to activate it immediately (I had time before the "hands on your head" command) as I am focused on making sure my hands stay on the handlebars after I stop, I didn't even turn the ignition key off.

So after Officer Freeman gets stopped he issues the command and I comply, placing my hands on my helmet. He approaches (his weapon still holstered) on my right and asks if I am a police officer. I reply in the negative, and add that I am legally openly carrying unloaded. He advises that he needs to do an e check. I reply that I do not consent to any search or seizures of my person or property but will not resist if he still intends to attempt an e check.

After some pushing and pulling he manages to remove my Glock and confirm its status as unloaded. He then asks if I have ammo. "Yes, I have loaded magazines on my left side." He instructs me he is going to hold my property until we are done. Duh. I'm parked in the gutter parallel to the curb (the shade!) facing forward. As another officer pulls up across the street I notice out of the corner of my eye, behind me, instead of writing a ticket Officer Freeman seems to be looking at the serial number on my Glock.

As I voice my objections, and tell him the only violation the law currently allows is the 12031e check, I realize I did not activate my recorder and now turn it on as I ask officer Freeman if he suspects me of committing any crimes other than a traffic violation. He then hands my gun to the other officer and repeats he's gonna hold onto it until we're done since "you have ammo and we don't want it to become loaded".

While Freeman writes my ticket (49 in a 35, stupid me) officer #2 asks why I carry. I give the standard answers, and then educate him on the Supreme Courts ruling in McDonald vs. Chicago and how the ruling applies to all the states. By now there are six officers on scene. None of the other officers ever approached me. The officers didn't lecture me and returned the respect I gave them. They did say it is something they're not used to seeing. I said that's part of the problem and we're working on it!

After I signed and received a copy of my ticket Freeman placed my gun back into my holster. The entire encounter took about ten minutes. They all hung out and didn't seem to be in a hurry to leave. A quick check of my GPS showed a school about a half a mile down the road so I got off my bike (I was told to stay on it during the stop) and opened the side case on my bike to get my lock box. I announced my intention to secure my firearm "until I get out of town" to the crowd of officers, to which one replied, "Why? Everyone that is working has already seen you." LOL

Freeman then thanked me for my cooperation. I asked if they had received any memos on OC, he said they had, but he had only encountered one other open carrier. (a security guard on a bike on his way to work in street clothes)

I'm not sure if Freeman had completed the serial number check on my gun before I saw what was going on, but he did put it down as soon as I objected.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Welcome to the '(e) check' club. Sounds like you could have prevented the process if you paid heed to the speed limit, but Im glad it all went smoothly.

With the recorders that are available these days, it really isnt necessary to leave it off until you need it unless you prefer to keep your audio 'private'. Just turn it on and let it run until you are to your destination with your liberties secure.

While they may have stepped over the line in recording your s/n, the duration didnt deviate much from a typical traffic infraction- so no foul there.

It appears that this was a pretty neutral encounter. Nice job.

Wheelie19

So I returned home today after spending a couple days in South Lake Tahoe. Glock 20 on my right, two 15 round mags on my left.

While riding my Goldwing motorcycle through Lodi on Kettleman Lane I saw him too late. A bike cop parked on the right pointing his radar gun at me. Crap. My wife of twenty years had two requests of me during my trip, and one of them was "don't get a ticket, we can't afford it". (because she just paid HER $222 speeding ticket!)

So Officer Freeman pulls out behind me and displays all his pretty lights to me. Double crap, wifey is not going to be happy and I'm surely about to be violated. I pull off Kettleman to the right onto a side street and stop in a very small patch of shade very close to the curb. Officer Freeman pulls in behind me, in the sun.

Although I am wise enough to have my voice recorder strapped around my neck, I was not smart enough to activate it immediately (I had time before the "hands on your head" command) as I am focused on making sure my hands stay on the handlebars after I stop, I didn't even turn the ignition key off.

So after Officer Freeman gets stopped he issues the command and I comply, placing my hands on my helmet. He approaches (his weapon still holstered) on my right and asks if I am a police officer. I reply in the negative, and add that I am legally openly carrying unloaded. He advises that he needs to do an e check. I reply that I do not consent to any search or seizures of my person or property but will not resist if he still intends to attempt an e check.

After some pushing and pulling he manages to remove my Glock and confirm its status as unloaded. He then asks if I have ammo. "Yes, I have loaded magazines on my left side." He instructs me he is going to hold my property until we are done. Duh. I'm parked in the gutter parallel to the curb (the shade!) facing forward. As another officer pulls up across the street I notice out of the corner of my eye, behind me, instead of writing a ticket Officer Freeman seems to be looking at the serial number on my Glock.

As I voice my objections, and tell him the only violation the law currently allows is the 12031e check, I realize I did not activate my recorder and now turn it on as I ask officer Freeman if he suspects me of committing any crimes other than a traffic violation. He then hands my gun to the other officer and repeats he's gonna hold onto it until we're done since "you have ammo and we don't want it to become loaded".

While Freeman writes my ticket (49 in a 35, stupid me) officer #2 asks why I carry. I give the standard answers, and then educate him on the Supreme Courts ruling in McDonald vs. Chicago and how the ruling applies to all the states. By now there are six officers on scene. None of the other officers ever approached me. The officers didn't lecture me and returned the respect I gave them. They did say it is something they're not used to seeing. I said that's part of the problem and we're working on it!

After I signed and received a copy of my ticket Freeman placed my gun back into my holster. The entire encounter took about ten minutes. They all hung out and didn't seem to be in a hurry to leave. A quick check of my GPS showed a school about a half a mile down the road so I got off my bike (I was told to stay on it during the stop) and opened the side case on my bike to get my lock box. I announced my intention to secure my firearm "until I get out of town" to the crowd of officers, to which one replied, "Why? Everyone that is working has already seen you." LOL

Freeman then thanked me for my cooperation. I asked if they had received any memos on OC, he said they had, but he had only encountered one other open carrier. (a security guard on a bike on his way to work in street clothes)

I'm not sure if Freeman had completed the serial number check on my gun before I saw what was going on, but he did put it down as soon as I objected.

All in all not a bad 12031e check. And good "heads-up" thinking by not reaching for your voice recorder after you had stopped. If you could not activate it before pulling over, DON'T do it (by putting a hand out of sight to the front of your jacket) after you've just stopped. The serial number check sucks, but it could've been worse.
As the song goes "Oh Lord, I'm stuck in Lodi again......"

Gundude

all in all not a bad 12031e check. And good "heads-up" thinking by not reaching for your voice recorder after you had stopped. If you could not activate it before pulling over, don't do it (by putting a hand out of sight to the front of your jacket) after you've just stopped. The serial number check sucks, but it could've been worse.
As the song goes "oh lord, i'm stuck in lodi again......"

creedence clearwater rivival

As a Harley rider, I will say this: Riding any bike over a 500 cc at the speed limit or under is next to impossible.

Last edited:

Decoligny

creedence clearwater rivival

As a Harley rider, I will say this: Riding any bike over a 500 cc at the speed limit or under is next to impossible.

As a Biker who has been riding since the late 70's, I will say this: There is a gear shift pedal, a throttle and a brakes, it is very easy to control the exact speed that you are traveling. Any problems staying under the max speed limit have to do with the attitude of the rider, not the size of the machine.

Last edited:

Rev_sole

magazine sorry

magazine sorry it was late wen i posted, i have been reading the tread
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?77697-Clarification-on-10-rd-magazine-law-please

I was meaning that it is good that they don't look to hard at that because it would suck to be arrested
for a crap a$$ hazy area of the law.

I am sure there is some officer that would be happy to use that as a way to make an example of someone.
Though it sound like the police in Lodi had nothing to do since they where all there.
who would want to mess up a slow day with all that paper work anyway?

have a safe happy Friday.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Bright Side

I guess there is a bright side to UOC and (e)-checks. Not much of one, but we grab what we can.

You guys don't have to suffer the indignity of having your gun emptied, handed back to you empty, with ammo in another hand, and being told not to reload until after the cop has driven off.

wewd

Hope I wasn't the only one who appreciated the irony of Ofc. Freeman's name.

Mike Hawk

As a Biker who has been riding since the late 70's, I will say this: There is a gear shift pedal, a throttle and a brakes, it is very easy to control the exact speed that you are traveling. Any problems staying under the max speed limit have to do with the attitude of the rider, not the size of the machine.
Ahh the twist of the wrist is hard to resist. I know this all too well. Hahahaha!!!

SAR_Squid79

Nice good thing they don't tend to look for high capacity clips.

Not trying to be a smart-alec here, as this is my first post.

But as responsible gun owners / users, we need to be very sure that we are using the correct vocabulary.

I don't know of any pistol that utilizes "clips". Semi-auto pistols are fed with MAGAZINES.

15-round magazines are not "high capacity" 15-rounds is the industry STANDARD capacity. California law dictates that we all use LOW capacity magazines.

SAR_Squid79

I reply . . . that I am legally openly carrying unloaded. He advises that he needs to do an e check. I reply that I do not consent to any search or seizures of my person or property but will not resist if he still intends to attempt an e check.

After some pushing and pulling he manages to remove my Glock and confirm its status as unloaded . . . instead of writing a ticket Officer Freeman seems to be looking at the serial number on my Glock.

As I voice my objections, and tell him the only violation the law currently allows is the 12031e check, I realize I did not activate my recorder and now turn it on as I ask officer Freeman if he suspects me of committing any crimes other than a traffic violation . . .

While Freeman writes my ticket (49 in a 35, stupid me) officer #2 asks why I carry. I give the standard answers, and then educate him on the Supreme Courts ruling in McDonald vs. Chicago and how the ruling applies to all the states.

OP - this is OUTSTANDING!!! You did a fantastic job of calmly and smartly conveying the fact that you are:
#1 well aware of your constitutional rights, and local laws, and
#2 well within them

Great job. Everyone should follow your examples and memorize these things. If everyone was as educated and level-headed as you, gun owners nationwide could go a lot farther.

Gundude

Not trying to be a smart-alec here, as this is my first post.

But as responsible gun owners / users, we need to be very sure that we are using the correct vocabulary.

I don't know of any pistol that utilizes "clips". Semi-auto pistols are fed with MAGAZINES.

15-round magazines are not "high capacity" 15-rounds is the industry STANDARD capacity. California law dictates that we all use LOW capacity magazines.

I found this one.