• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OFF TOPIC BUT VERY FRIGHTENING !! Mystery Missle Lauch off our west coast !

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzLReDKJHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyEvk-VTuEI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GCgDKNEwyY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysTDh6R9N8E

This is Scary stuff. Some country launches a ICBM off our coast, with in our territorial waters & our military is either in the dark or not telling. Something like this can cause a panic. Why is our national threat level not on RED right now.
Maybe China flexing it's might ? This is bad anyway you look at it. Yet our military is saying that it's not one of theirs & it's not from another country...HOW DO THEY KNOW IT'S NOT FROM ANOTHER COUNTRIES MILITARY ? they don't know where it came from !!!

Sonora Rebel

The exhaust plume and rate of climb is consistant with that of a D-5 (Trident) type missile.

rotty

Scary thought .. China sub launching to show force ? Possibly North Korean Sub ? I tell ya the Gubmint is dropping the ball on this one .. burying it in the news is not the right thing to do. But wait, it IS the US government and they are not very honest with us other times so why start now :\

Edited - Wonder if it could have been a test to see if we could be " set up " to look like we launched against someone else when in fact it came from a sub of unknown origin. Sounds like something right out of hollywood but if I was looking to make someone look bad that would be at the top of my list. Easy way to start a war between 2 countries. Make one think the other started it first.

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

That's not the San Clemente AO... There were no surface vessels or aircraft in the launch area as is normal. The PMTC at Pt. Mugu would be the obvious Command authority for such a launch... but there'd be NOTAMS issued ahead of the event. IMHO... somebody screwed up and live launched a test (I hope) missile... but it had to ba a lot of somebodies as it's not as simple as just pushing the wrong button.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Well if it was a N. Korean missile they told it to go left instead of right. Dough!!

The interesting thing is that 35 miles is well within our territorial waters. If they shot a missile from 200 miles out there would be nothing we could have done about it.

Since it was 35 miles out and all sorts of airforce/navy etc were NOT deployed immediately to find out who sent it, means "we" sent it. For what reason who knows. Why we denied it, who knows. Could have been some submariner that spilled his coffee on the launch button.

The most interesting thing is our reaction to it and the lack of concern. The second thing I was thinking is where did it go and what did it hit? So it sounds like a test but why in heck didn't they wait until wee hours when less would notice.

I don't think it was a show of power in any way since we already can hit dime size objects on the other side of the planet with nukes if we wanted to.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Curiouser and curiouser

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/myst...off-california-coast/story?id=12097155&page=2
To add to the mystery of what's on KCBS's videotape, the FAA said a radar replay of a large area west of los Angeles did not reveal any fast moving unidentified targets in that area. They also did not report says receiving any reports of any unusual sightings from pilots who were flying in the area on Monday afternoon.
The idea of an inadvertent submarine launch is laughable. It cannot happen.

If the mystery remains for long - that would be a perfect reason to bring this administration/CinC/Obamanation down for incompetency and failure of a clear Constitutional duty to "Provide for the common defense."

Last edited:

eye95

I would wonder if the video were real, but we seem to have eyewitness reports supporting the video.

So how does the FAA not have radar confirmation?

The main problem I am having is that our government does not seem to have as much of a handle on the situation as it should. With all that they are doing that they should not, they are not doing what they should!

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/myst...off-california-coast/story?id=12097155&page=2
The idea of an inadvertent submarine launch is laughable. It cannot happen.

If the mystery remains for long - that would be a perfect reason to bring this administration/CinC/Obamanation down for incompetency and failure of a clear Constitutional duty to "Provide for the common defense."

Very true doug, It can't happen. Too many safeties involved, many keys inserted into launch panels, buttons pushed, AUTHORIZATION required. Those mistakes just don't happen.

Watching the video, reminded me of the TV show Jericho, when you see the ICBM's being launched from their silo's.

Last edited:

Thundar

Well if it was a N. Korean missile they told it to go left instead of right. Dough!!

The interesting thing is that 35 miles is well within our territorial waters. If they shot a missile from 200 miles out there would be nothing we could have done about it.

Since it was 35 miles out and all sorts of airforce/navy etc were NOT deployed immediately to find out who sent it, means "we" sent it. For what reason who knows. Why we denied it, who knows. Could have been some submariner that spilled his coffee on the launch button.

The most interesting thing is our reaction to it and the lack of concern. The second thing I was thinking is where did it go and what did it hit? So it sounds like a test but why in heck didn't they wait until wee hours when less would notice.

I don't think it was a show of power in any way since we already can hit dime size objects on the other side of the planet with nukes if we wanted to.

You are confusing territorial waters with an Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). Territorial limit is 12 miles.

merle

It was a plane. Curvature of the earth made it appear it was a surface (or submarine) launch. The optical illusion of larger plume versus smaller tip made it appear it was rising.

Google up "sunset contrails"

eye95

I gotta admit that you made me look at the videos again.

-- It is not a plane unless the plane is on fire.

-- A former deputy secretary of defense viewed the footage and said it was a missile.

-- That is one heckuva an optical illusion. It sure looks like it is going almost straight up. Fast.

-- Your explanation ranks right up there with "swamp gas."

I don't know what this thing is yet, but I don't believe for a second that it is a plane.

Again, my concern is the seeming lack of competence from our current government regarding this potential national security incident.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Too slow to be a missile. It's consistant with it being an airplane contrail illuminated by sunset. The Earth's roundness makes contrails visible from long distances appear to curve below the horizon.

"A U.S. Northern Command official who didn't want to be identified said the contrail could very well be from an airplane." - Source

It's a plane.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

I would have to see the raw video to decide. The little blurbs they show in the news isn't good enough to see the rate of travel etc.

Then again it may just be the dolphins evacuating. :)

So long and thanks for all the fish!

eye95

Too slow to be a missile. It's consistant with it being an airplane contrail illuminated by sunset. The Earth's roundness makes contrails visible from long distances appear to curve below the horizon.

"A U.S. Northern Command official who didn't want to be identified said the contrail could very well be from an airplane." - Source

It's a plane.

Too fast to be a plane. It doesn't seem to be too slow to be a missile to me, but a missile going mostly up, once it gets pretty high up, has a low angular velocity relative to an observer close to the ground, making it appear to be moving much more slowly than it is.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Optical illusion caused by the earths curvature my BUTT !!! THAT'S ONE HECK OF A CONTRAIL !!! BS ! BS ! BS !
When you look at the Video you can clearly see the fire coming out of the END OF THE MISSILE. The Missile exaust seen in the distance on the surface is a classic submerged vertical launch signature. The news on TV just said Government experts said it was either a Plane or a home made rocket..... That must have been one BIG SOB Home made rocket...what a crappy cover story in deed !!!!! They must think the people are completely ignorant.

Coded-Dude

"we didn't do it, nor do we have any credible info on who may have.....but trust us when we say that you are safe"

SFCRetired

On two of those videos, there was also an aircraft. That should give enough of a comparison to rule out another aircraft. It also demonstrates, at least to me, that the object is following the flight profile of a missile launch.

I won't rule out a launch from an unfriendly sub. Diesel-electric subs are, if properly handled, a lot harder to detect than you might think. North Korea, for one, has a bunch of them. There are some other unfriedly nations that have fair amounts of diesel-electrics. It is my understanding that there are some of these submarines configured for vertical launch.

The question is, "Why?" Was it a test of our defenses? Was it a warning that the next time it wouldn't be aimed away? What also disturbs me is that there was no apparent reaction of our military. At the least, I would have thought there would be some sort of anti-submarine sortie from one or more of the west coast bases.