• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police dept. trainning memo's on Open Carry.

jsanchez

Would it be a good idea to have all the trainning memo's from the different police departments grouped in one thread in the permanent blue section at the beginning of the Washington forum, so OCers in different cities could have these memo's to show police when police make the mistake of telling OCers that they can't OC.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Would it be a good idea to have all the trainning memo's from the different police departments grouped in one thread in the permanent blue section at the beginning of the Washington forum, so OCers in different cities could have these memo's to show police when police make the mistake of telling OCers that they can't OC.

Here: http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads

I don't know that showing a LEO will make a difference.

Deleted_User

AWESOME STUFF! I have the training bulletins from Pennsylvania for when I go home and was looking for this also. Thanks for asking, and thanks for posting. +1's for EVERYBODY!

Deleted_User

I mildly disagree. Does this mean we shouldn't try? I thought our purpose was to educate the public, LEOs included. We would not be doing so if I didn't offer this during a stop. I will thoroughly read this information and have it readily available if stopped while OCing.

I for one would cast my vote for this being worth a try at the very least. Every LEO, IMHO, deserves a chance to show themselves a fool, or among the wise. Maybe one will learn something from this that they didn't the first time they saw it o_O

It's still a GREAT post by all parties involved and great information for OCers to have.

joeroket

SpyderTattoo

I mildly disagree. Does this mean we shouldn't try? I thought our purpose was to educate the public, LEOs included. We would not be doing so if I didn't offer this during a stop. I will thoroughly read this information and have it readily available if stopped while OCing.

I for one would cast my vote for this being worth a try at the very least. Every LEO, IMHO, deserves a chance to show themselves a fool, or among the wise. Maybe one will learn something from this that they didn't the first time they saw it o_O

It's still a GREAT post by all parties involved and great information for OCers to have.

In my experience dealing with LE, during an OC "discussion" during a MWAG call, they aren't very receptive to pamphlets/handouts.

oneeyeross

May not help at the encounter stage, but if you could show that the officer's department had issued a training bulletin and the officer was not following said bulletin, your attorney would sure like that during the civil trail...

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Some are receptive to info.....

Back last year I had a issue with a Federal Way officer who stopped me on my way out of the new transit center. During the stop I filled him in on the laws and also that Federal Way was the first city to issue a training bulletin. When we parted ways he took a copy of the training bulletin and pamphlet with him.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

I agree gogo, at the moment of a negative contact but would assist in providing those issues to City Officials as to what other Cities or Counties have concluded.

I do use these time to time, thanks for keeping them easily accessible.

TechnoWeenie

In my experience dealing with LE, during an OC "discussion" during a MWAG call, they aren't very receptive to pamphlets/handouts.

Agreed.

However, when it goes to court, it will look 10x worse when you say ' I had a copy of the training bulletin issued by their agency, but they said they didn't care, refused to even look at it, and refused to verify the information that it contained. The entire incident could have been reduced or eliminated had they viewed the information at hand.

Disregarding information that's available shows that their interest is enforcing THEIR wishes, and not the law.

Deleted_User

Agreed.

However, when it goes to court, it will look 10x worse when you say ' I had a copy of the training bulletin issued by their agency, but they said they didn't care, refused to even look at it, and refused to verify the information that it contained. The entire incident could have been reduced or eliminated had they viewed the information at hand.

Disregarding information that's available shows that their interest is enforcing THEIR wishes, and not the law.

Agreed! Yet another reason to at least try.

amlevin

Agreed.

Why would it ever go to court? If the Dept had issued a training bulletin, and one of their officers was unaware or ignored it, the whole matter would probably be handled by a supervisor.

I don't see it as surprising that an officer would not care to look at any information provided by someone he contacted, claiming it came from "his" department. How is he/she to know it's even real. Rather than trying to pass the info, request a supervisor and ask the supervisor to look into the TB. That will also have the effect of getting the offending officer some additional training, even if it is only the supervisor telling him his actions are wrong.

Why do we always see everything as ending up in Court. In looking back at any of the "issues" that have arisen involving police officers conduct in my life, every one has been resolved with a phone call, letter, or meeting. Never had to take one to Court.

Deleted_User

Why would it ever go to court? If the Dept had issued a training bulletin, and one of their officers was unaware or ignored it, the whole matter would probably be handled by a supervisor.

I don't see it as surprising that an officer would not care to look at any information provided by someone he contacted, claiming it came from "his" department. How is he/she to know it's even real. Rather than trying to pass the info, request a supervisor and ask the supervisor to look into the TB. That will also have the effect of getting the offending officer some additional training, even if it is only the supervisor telling him his actions are wrong.

Why do we always see everything as ending up in Court. In looking back at any of the "issues" that have arisen involving police officers conduct in my life, every one has been resolved with a phone call, letter, or meeting. Never had to take one to Court.

There is a few valid points there Amlevin. I never thought about the "claiming it came from his department" view of it. It should all be solved quickly though it someone finally reads it.

Why are people so set on being right all the time? Read it, and move on. Even LEOs are human and can make a mistake. It takes a bigger man to admit it (as my parents always said)

OT: Contrary to popular belief, some of us have had LEO interactions also. Not everything is negative. I figure if you treat them like a human, most interactions will go better. Mayhaps I am naive, but I know a handful of LEOs, retired and active that just want to make sure on a stop they are and feel SAFE.

sudden valley gunner

There is a few valid points there Amlevin. I never thought about the "claiming it came from his department" view of it. It should all be solved quickly though it someone finally reads it.

Why are people so set on being right all the time? Read it, and move on. Even LEOs are human and can make a mistake. It takes a bigger man to admit it (as my parents always said)

OT: Contrary to popular belief, some of us have had LEO interactions also. Not everything is negative. I figure if you treat them like a human, most interactions will go better. Mayhaps I am naive, but I know a handful of LEOs, retired and active that just want to make sure on a stop they are and feel SAFE.

There wanting to feel safe over my rights is were I draw the line. If you can't be an LEO with an armed public don't be an LEO.