• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. reaches settlement in GFZA lawsuit against City of Milwaukee

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
A victory for gun rights! The City of Milwaukee will have to pay $6,500 for their wrongful arrest of David Bernson and wrongfully charging him under the provisions of the Wisconsin Gun Free School Zone Act. I do wish the award would have been a dollar figure that would actually deter municipalities from engaging in the wrongful arrest of individuals exercising their 2A rights. Here is a link: http://www.wisconsincarry.org/pdf/G...esolution-of-Settlement-Oct-2011-10-12-04.pdf

protias

Glad to see things straightened out. I hope this kind of stuff never happens again.

M

McX

A victory for gun rights! The City of Milwaukee will have to pay $6,500 for their wrongful arrest of David Bernson and wrongfully charging him under the provisions of the Wisconsin Gun Free School Zone Act. I do wish the award would have been a dollar figure that would actually deter municipalities from engaging in the wrongful arrest of individuals exercising their 2A rights. Here is a link: http://www.wisconsincarry.org/pdf/G...esolution-of-Settlement-Oct-2011-10-12-04.pdf

Chief knobby is next!

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran

HandyHamlet

... or maybe they won't?

Unfortunately... Take cameras. More citizens are filming the police every day and every day there are more videos of police assaulting citizens with cameras. Not less.

Apply this to the Second Amendment and make sure your WCInc membership is current.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,

Link to court case: http://www.wisconsincarry.org/pdf/GFSZA_Legal_Documents/03_GFSZ_Complaint_A2.pdf

It is very disturbing what the police officer did to Mr. Bernson. Very disturbing. Until "Qualified Immunity" is removed from the police officer training manual these events will go on or maybe they won't?

By arresting Bernson within his home, or within the curtilage of his home,
without a warrant and without probable cause, Kezeske violated Bernson’s 14th
Amendment rights to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures.

I wonder if this has been amended to say the "4th amendment"?
the 14th is referred to every time an amendment is referred to.

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
The 14th Amendment Is Correct.....Interesting Isn't It?

By arresting Bernson within his home, or within the curtilage of his home,
without a warrant and without probable cause, Kezeske violated Bernson’s 14th
Amendment rights to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures.

I wonder if this has been amended to say the "4th amendment"?
the 14th is referred to every time an amendment is referred to.

I thought the same thing when we first filed this lawsuit and asked the same question(s) way back when. There is another thread somewhere (IIRC) that goes into detail about the 14th amendment violation instead of the 4th. It's too early in the morning for me to think clearly about "why" it is the 14th instead of the 4th.

I think someone will come along and post clearly why it is the 14th. Either way what the police did in Mr. Bernson's case is very disturbing. This is the kind of thing that happened with the Gestapo in Nazi Germany.

1245A Defender

well,,,

funny thing, when i saw 14th, I wondered, so i looked it up, And I Read the 24th! silly roman numerals.
well, after your post, even I remembered the 4th V. 14th discussion, but none of the details, so i looked it up again, Better!

I see why the 14th, privilege or immunities clause, Life liberty or property, equal protection and due process clause is a good fit for the complaint!

Now I feel smarter, but just barely.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
It is the 14th Amendment because the 14th has been used to make most of the Bill of Rights applicable to the states, and not just to the federal government. A key phrase from the 14th "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens..."

M

McX

It is the 14th Amendment because the 14th has been used to make most of the Bill of Rights applicable to the states, and not just to the federal government. A key phrase from the 14th "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens..."

damn shame illinois never heard of that one.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
When is the Wisconsin ACLU going to wake up and join in these cases that go beyond the 2nd Admendment, even if their nutty national leadership still don't recognize the right to bear arms as an individual, not collective, right. BTW, is there any right in the Bill of Rights that is a "collective" not "individual" right?

Last edited: