• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking to find a place to practice drawing from holster

Spades

Well, I have been keeping my eyes open and asking questions where I can, but I cannot seem to find a place where I can practice drawing from a holster and firing.

I had access to a buddy's land where I could do this a few years back, but I really hate bugging him about going. It is one thing if he offers, but I don't like to take advantage of people.

I would be ok with shelling out a reasonable(not the "a lot" reasonable, the "appropriate, but not expensive" reasonable) amount of cash and taking a course or something that allows for practicing drawing from the holster and firing.

Basically, I have been keeping my accuracy up with the usual range trips(Marksman and C2), and I separately practice drawing from my holster every once in a while, but it definitely isn't a replacement for full on quick draw and fire practice.

I understand why most places don't allow it, I was just curious if anyone has any input on a possible solution.

Thanks!

t33j

Practical Pistol matches at LGC 2nd Sunday of every month except Jan. and Feb. 8AM? - Noon
No membership required

Once a month is not frequent enough of course.

I have been attempting to get a "draw from the holster badge" since July...

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well, I have been keeping my eyes open and asking questions where I can, but I cannot seem to find a place where I can practice drawing from a holster and firing.

I had access to a buddy's land where I could do this a few years back, but I really hate bugging him about going. It is one thing if he offers, but I don't like to take advantage of people.

I would be ok with shelling out a reasonable(not the "a lot" reasonable, the "appropriate, but not expensive" reasonable) amount of cash and taking a course or something that allows for practicing drawing from the holster and firing.

Basically, I have been keeping my accuracy up with the usual range trips(Marksman and C2), and I separately practice drawing from my holster every once in a while, but it definitely isn't a replacement for full on quick draw and fire practice.

I understand why most places don't allow it, I was just curious if anyone has any input on a possible solution.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Best solution is buy a quality Airsoft pistol to match your EDC.
I have plenty of land to shoot on and my Gun range is only 2 miles away. I still use my Airsoft at least twice a day.

Spades

Practical Pistol matches at LGC 2nd Sunday of every month except Jan. and Feb. 8AM? - Noon
No membership required

Once a month is not frequent enough of course.

I have been attempting to get a "draw from the holster badge" since July...

That is very interesting. I would guess the "draw from holster badge" would only be good at LGC though, lol. :D Alas, I am not a member. Yet.

Welcome to the forum!

Best solution is buy a quality Airsoft pistol to match your EDC.
I have plenty of land to shoot on and my Gun range is only 2 miles away. I still use my Airsoft at least twice a day.

Thanks for the welcome! Been lurking for years, though, lol.

I actually have and use airsoft for some practice. More so in the past when I was younger, but I would have to agree that a nice gas blow back airsoft pistol is a great way to practice. I still put a lot of weight on being able to practice more with my carry gun, though...

scouser

A little bit of a hike from where you are but you could do a lot worse than check out one of Proshooter's Defensive Handgun classes.
I realize I don't know your level of experience and I apologize if you think this is 'below' your expertise but having dealt with his company myself on several occasions I can recommend them highly.

Steeler-gal

Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly will allow it but under certain circumstances (where you holster) and you have to let them know when you arrive.

driveramsII

If you have base access you can go to the range on that NATO base in Norfolk. The marines have an indoor range out there which I practiced draw and fire with their permission first of course. Their response when I asked if it was allowed, "as long as you don't shoot your foot off". I still have both feet

Spades

A little bit of a hike from where you are but you could do a lot worse than check out one of Proshooter's Defensive Handgun classes.
I realize I don't know your level of experience and I apologize if you think this is 'below' your expertise but having dealt with his company myself on several occasions I can recommend them highly.

That actually looks really promising. Not a bad price either, considering $12.50 an hour range time where I normally go. Just a little longer drive than going to C2, to boot. Talked to a buddy about it and he was interested too.

Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly will allow it but under certain circumstances (where you holster) and you have to let them know when you arrive.

As nice as that sounds, I think that may be outside my driving range for some range time. I will keep it in mind if I happen to be up that way, though.

If you have base access you can go to the range on that NATO base in Norfolk. The marines have an indoor range out there which I practiced draw and fire with their permission first of course. Their response when I asked if it was allowed, "as long as you don't shoot your foot off". I still have both feet

Ahaha, that is pretty awesome. I do have base access, I'll give it a looksee.

Thanks guys!

JamesB

Living room is a good place inbetween times of going to the range (unloaded of course). It's just like dry fire practice. You are trying to get the motions down, trying to get the muscle memory, for this you don't need ammo. Practice draw and dry fire. Then practice at the range and hit your target. Now put the two together.

I don't need a membership at a gym to lose weight, I need to get off the couch. The gym doesn't hurt. Same thing here. It doesn't have to be as expensive as the commercials make it. I can do push ups at home. I can practice at home too.

Badger Johnson

Besides practicing drawing:
1. Be sure you have the best holster you can afford (not the most expensive, but the best that fits you)
2. Find a way to up your SA. Gamesmanship among other things;
3. Dry fire with snap caps;
4. If you have extra money get a laser insert, a dry fire trigger (drop in for a Glock), and a laser target (you won't get the 'bang' and recoil, though);
5. Analyze the times when you were caught flat-footed in condition white.

Good luck.

AIC869

Ahaha, that is pretty awesome. I do have base access, I'll give it a looksee.

Thanks guys!

It's actually a Marine base (Camp Allen) next to the Navy base (NSA Norfolk) that has a NATO activity among others on it. Just sayin'... :D

The range is an MWR activity and requires you to be active/reserve/retired military (including Guard) or a government GS civilian (no contractors). They will ask for your mil ID, as will the Marines at the gate.

http://www.mccscampallen.com/shooting_range.htm

Glockster

I Must be missing something as I thought that there was a Navy and/or DoD policy prohibiting carry onto the base of privately owned firearms? Is private carry allowed?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Wax bullets?

I seen people on youtube in their garage.

Is that legal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdvEX3SccWo

They are unbelievably dirty and you have to modify the case. Drill the primer hole out or the primer will back out and jam the gun.

Other than that, they're fine.

Take the modded, unprimed case (Won't work if you've primed first) and push the case through a block of wax.

Pull the case out, prime it and shoot it.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Thank you for suggesting our class. We'd welcome anyone who wants to train with us.

AIC869

I Must be missing something as I thought that there was a Navy and/or DoD policy prohibiting carry onto the base of privately owned firearms? Is private carry allowed?

Generally prohibited on all federal installations, but it's permitted in specific cases such as using facilities like this. No extra stops or delays are allowed - go on base, use the range, leave the base. Weapons have to be unloaded and secured (cased) in transit on the base until on the range's firing line. No stops at the Mini-Mart/Class 6, no stopping by the commissary/exchange, etc. and definitely no going to work i.e. "But I was going to the range when I got off duty..."

scouser

ProShooter said:
Thank you for suggesting our class. We'd welcome anyone who wants to train with us.

you're welcome Jim .. does the class include a BBQ lunch ?