• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2nd ID?

Fallschirjmäger

My habit is to leave my driving license in my car (because that's when I need it; while driving) unless I know I'll need it for identification somewhere. And usually all my purchases are with an ATM card.
So, yeah, one day I was asked for identification and whipped out my Georgia Weapons License.
georgia_concealed_weapon_permit_front.jpg

All I got was a funny look.
(And, no, that's not mine, but that's what one looks like until you renew in 2012 and get the 'fancy' one)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
For me, it's not technically recognized by the State as an ID. In fact, when carrying concealed, I am required to carry my CCW permit AND my state ID (driver's license.)

However, I've been to places that needed ID and have used the CCW. They didn't question it.

mahkagari

I'm certain it's accepted as a valid state issued ID, I was just curious about reactions people have gotten. I don't have much call for using it as a primary ID. I'll try that next time. Today I had to buy a bunch of traveler's checks. The teller asked me for a second ID because of the amount. Since my CHP is right behind my DL in my wallet, it was on top after I'd given her the DL. As I signed the checks, I asked, "Do you get many of those as 2nd IDs?" She said she'd gotten a couple, but usually people use credit cards or even vehicle registrations.

x1wildone

I used mine at the post office, when they required 2 ID's for verification of the right to have a po box. The attendant threw it back at me so fast it almost hit the floor. She accepted a credit card. Very funny cause anyone can get a credit card. I think she was afraid that my cc permit might go off.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I used mine at the post office, when they required 2 ID's for verification of the right to have a po box. The attendant threw it back at me so fast it almost hit the floor. She accepted a credit card. Very funny cause anyone can get a credit card. I think she was afraid that my cc permit might go off.

Lol! :lol:

I used it once, just to see the clerk's reaction. She flipped it over once or twice then asked, "What's this?" "It's a picture ID. That's what you asked for, isn't it?" She handed it back and said, "Do you have a driver's license?" I said, "Why? Is a driver's license required to purchase a bottle of wine?" She said she needed to verify my birth date. I handed her back my CHP and pointed out where the date was located.

I've also handed people my private pilot's license...

wrightme

For me, it's not technically recognized by the State as an ID. In fact, when carrying concealed, I am required to carry my CCW permit AND my state ID (driver's license.)

However, I've been to places that needed ID and have used the CCW. They didn't question it.

As an aside, it is only a civil infraction with a $25.00 fine if you choose to carry sterile. How rough that ride would be, I have no idea.

NRS202Sec3667

Last edited:

William Fisher

LCC in Ohio while issued by County, states that it is an Ohio License to Concealed Carry. Drivers License are also issued by the County but is an Ohio Drivers Licesne. I assume it is the same with all states (at least on Drivers License).

wrightme

LCC in Ohio while issued by County, states that it is an Ohio License to Concealed Carry. Drivers License are also issued by the County but is an Ohio Drivers Licesne. I assume it is the same with all states (at least on Drivers License).
Unless Ohio is much different than NV, drivers licenses are issued by an office of the DMV, which is a State office. In other words, it is most likely that you do NOT need to get your DL in the county/city of residence, but can go to any of the State office locations.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I don't know about the requirements for states granting reciprocity to Colorado CHP holders, but for CC in Colo, one only need carry the CHP, as it has its own picture ID.

Unless one is driving...

Beau

I don't know about the requirements for states granting reciprocity to Colorado CHP holders, but for CC in Colo, one only need carry the CHP, as it has its own picture ID.

Unless one is driving...
In which case only a drivers license is needed. Not a CHL, unless you exit the vehicle while conceal carry.